Digital Captioning on Blueray/DVD player

purplecatty

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I bought Smart Samsung Blueray/DVD 5100 player and It is really nice player and it allows 3D option if TV have 3D ready.

My issue is that I do have old DVD movies that do not have Subtitle but have CC already in and only need to turn on TV CC. BUT The problem is that BlueRay player is HDMI jack only, no component. Of Course, TV CC is blocked when HDMI is being used. The player should have Digital CC Decoder built in but there is NONE in the menu!!!

I am planning to return Samsung Blueray player and exchange the one that have Digital CC decoder bult in the device that allows us to watch old DVD movies that do not have Subtitles but have CC encoded in it.

What are your recommendation for Digital CC deocder ready Blue Ray/DVD players (the one that have Netflix ect, allows USB thumbdrive plug in to watch movies or photo, Media sharing ect something nice features). I just want the one have Smart Player that allow us to take it to travel where they have Wifi or using my phone's Mifi so we can watch Netflix.

Thanks
Catty

Hi to all,

I bought Smart Samsung Blueray/DVD 5100 player and It is really nice player and it allows 3D option if TV have 3D ready.

My issue is that I do have old DVD movies that do not have Subtitle but have CC already in and only need to turn on TV CC. BUT The problem is that BlueRay player is HDMI jack only, no component. Of Course, TV CC is blocked when HDMI is being used. The player should have Digital CC Decoder built in but there is NONE in the menu!!!

I am planning to return Samsung Blueray player and exchange the one that have Digital CC decoder bult in the device that allows us to watch old DVD movies that do not have Subtitles but have CC encoded in it.

What are your recommendation for Digital CC deocder ready Blue Ray/DVD players (the one that have Netflix ect, allows USB thumbdrive plug in to watch movies or photo, Media sharing ect something nice features). I just want the one have Smart Player that allow us to take it to travel where they have Wifi or using my phone's Mifi so we can watch Netflix.

Thanks
Catty

I have a Toshiba Blue-Ray DVD player, and it has Netflix and everything else, and I've used it a few times, and the quality is decent. It does have closed captioning included already for YouTube.

Hi to all,

Thanks
Catty

What is blu"e" ray? TV don't block CC. Mostly Blu-ray player do not bother to CC signel from dvd that mostly Blu-ray movie have own subtitles already. Also why bother write programm that Blu-ray with HDMI send signel cc to TV since some Blu-ray players have built-in CC for screen image? Lucky, our PS3 with HDmi have built-in CC for dvd movie then don't needs turn cc on for tv.

Better way to keeps your old DVD players for old DVD movie OR find right blu-ray with built-in cc for DVD OR sell old DVD movie and buy blu-ray movie.

My 10 yr old Toshiba dvd player broke down. It showed Disk Error regardless if dvd is perfect condition. Did cleaned the reader head but no avail. Its just old thats all.

The issue is not the player, but the cable setup.

HDMI cables will play sound and video, but not CC.

RCA cables (red/white/yellow) will play sound, video, and CC.

Best setup would be from player to TV via HDMI for bluray movies and via RCA cables for DVD movies.

The TV modes would be either HDMI & VIDEO or VIDEO 1 & VIDEO 2.

My dad had the same problem. This setup worked.

With your TV CC turned on, the CC should work for your DVDs.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

The issue is not the player, but the cable setup.

HDMI cables will play sound and video, but not CC.
It is not that HDMI cables does not have the capability, but the Blu-ray player itself not utilizing all 'threads' to transmit CC. At least, this is to my understanding. I use my PlayStation 3 on HDMI and was frustrated with this as well. But, they just recently came out with an update that utilizes that 'thread' (lack of a better term) to push CC out. However, i do still have my PS3 and an additional DVD player hooked up to the TV (RCA) for CC capabilities.

Thanks for linking to my thread. I am sure there are more new models with a built-in CC by now. Lets see what Samsung has done so far.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-ray-dvd/BD-F7500/ZA

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201407/20140721141220298/%5BBD-F7500-ZA%5DAK68-02349A-04ENG_BM-0717.pdf Page 26

This new player (also another new model, BD-F6700/ZA) has a built-in CC but only for VOD (Video on Demand) playback. *smh*

My advice ....

Get something like this for Blueray player - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-sm...474&skuId=5478019&st=blueray player&cp=1&lp=2 It cheap if you don't need 3D feature. Around 60 dollar and should have CC built in as explained in this review - http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu...p-s1200-blu-ray-player-brief-user-review.html

And for online streaming (Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, ABC Family, PBS etc etc) - Get Roku 3 You will not be disappoint with Roku 3 . My family love it and it support customized CC color background etc. And yes Roku 3 does have a USB slot on the side.

To customize Netflix, you still have to go on Netflix account to customize it but all other services you can use Roku 3 built in CC and customized it. I don't know why Netflix still choose not to use Roku built in CC for their CC support like other service does.

Reason for a seperate online stream player is because I feel that company who market online online stream player will take update more seriously and would want to add as many online streaming services they could to their product to market it better. Roku have so many channels on it now and many of them are CC supported. Even free movie channels with CC You can add and remove channels as you please so your menu will look nice and tidy.

Online stream service in SmartTV or Blueray players I notice never get updated or supported in future. I have an older 3D Blueray and a SmartTV both have Netflix but no CC because Vizo and Sony decided it not worth updating and want us to buy a new TV or player to get newer update.

My advice ....

Get something like this for Blueray player - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-sm...474&skuId=5478019&st=blueray player&cp=1&lp=2 It cheap if you don't need 3D feature. Around 60 dollar and should have CC built in as explained in this review - http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu...p-s1200-blu-ray-player-brief-user-review.html
Good deal! :thumb: Thanks for sharing.

Starting in 2014, all new region A USA Blu-ray players by law are required to have a built in closed captioning decoder. All the new Sony 2014 Blu-ray players including the BDP-S1200, have built in closed captioning feature. Most Blu-ray discs already offer SDH subtitles, however some people prefer closed captioning when watching Blu-ray discs. Also closed captioning is something one might want to use when watching streaming services. Monitors and projectors do not have closed captioning decoders, so requiring closed captioning in all new Blu-ray players is popular for people that need and people that want the closed captioning feature.
I don't understand why Samsung doesn't follow the law. It should be reported to FCC.

If I plan to buy a new BD player, I refuse to buy one by Samsung which violates a new FCC law. Screw it!

I prefer Apple TV over Roku because I bought numerous TV shows via iTunes.

Back