Bluetooth mic to computer for CC

Norman

Reaction score
I'm an English language teacher in Japan. Earlier today, I was told that a student with some unknown degree of hearing difficulties will be enrolled in my classes. I was not given any other details than to help the student as much as possible.

I was wondering if someone is familiar with the use of a Bluetooth mic to capture audio from the teacher and having that transmitted to a computer with speech-to-text software running. It's essentially a small "closed caption" setup. I was thinking of having such a setup linked directly to the student's notebook computer.

If someone has used this sort of setup, please give me some recommendations for Bluetooth mics.

Thanks!

Hi Norman!
I'm an English teacher in Japan too (32 years), and applaud you for doing probably more for the student than even the school did. You likely opened up some eyes, and opened yourself up to criticism in the process.
I have seen several students with lisps or other speech problems be helped by careful pronunciation practice; calling it "language learning" takes away the stigma.
I would like to hear how things worked out.

I don't know anything about Bluetooth mic. On account of mild hearing loss, that would help a little bit being able to understand if you speak into the microphone.

But for severe to profound deaf students, that would be hard to understand what you are saying unless they tried to lipread you. Lipreading is not 100% accurate. They can get lost not hearing the sounds of the sentence or words which you speak.

If you are wondering about CI students, you just have to ask them if they can understand you with Bluetooth microphone. Otherwise they would not be able to understand you if you do this.

We had to put up with hearing people trying to make us listen and talk orally over many years and it was not always successful. Only very few can make it through with no problem, I think. But to me, the way you want them to hear clearly by you is that you are being Audist (which mean you are ignorant and not understanding about deafness at all). That is my expression and my opinion. I am a blunt Deaf individual.

:roll:

I believe to OP was talking about transmitting the audio/voice to a computer to be displayed as text to to student. Not to enable the student to hear the teacher.

Back