Hearing-Deaf Etiquette

when they laugh, yeah yet they never cover their mouths when they cough. noticed that in thailand, very odd.

I cover my mouth when I yawn and for obvious reasons when I cough and sneeze. Did your boyfriends laugh and talk at the same time?

Is mouth covering an Asian "thing"??

yes because it's polite. Asian people especially girls cover their mouths when laughing or while talking if they're showing much of their teeth.

hmm... serial mouth coverer? are you asian? or self-conscious about your teeth?

I think it's a holdover from my braces phase, now that i think about it...:hmm:

Caroline - I could see where it would get really annoying, it could probably be compared to a hearing person talking to someone who mumbles severely, except about a hundred times worse. Guess I'll have to sit on my hands when I get the urge!:aw:

Caroline - I could see where it would get really annoying, it could probably be compared to a hearing person talking to someone who mumbles severely. Guess I'll have to sit on my hands when I get the urge!:aw:

I know how you feel pal, braces for 3 years and after they were taken off I still mumbled to cover my teeth.

Caroline - I could see where it would get really annoying, it could probably be compared to a hearing person talking to someone who mumbles severely, except about a hundred times worse. Guess I'll have to sit on my hands when I get the urge!:aw:

:giggle:

Which is so disturbing. I've noticed that the other students make a point of not involving themselves with us. The other groups have four/five students, our group is just us two. Maybe they are intimidated, but it must be extremely frustrating as a deaf person to have to deal with that constantly. And the teacher (an English teacher, nonetheless) seems to think she can't read. What?! :confused:

P.S.: I will promptly dump the PC crap, lol! Thanks!

Welcome to our world as others have posted. This behavior is sadly not uncommon and I had the same thing happen to me while I was in college. In fact it still does, even at work. No one bothers to actually include me and when I speak up I'm brushed aside as if what I've said really isn't as important as the hearing folks comments, opinions. As if I were a child to be ignored. It hurts. Thankfully there are hearies out there such as yourself who are intelligent enough to see that underneath the silence is a human being that has a heart and most important of all an actual brain. It's nothing short of amazing how people treat the Deaf. You would think the more intelligent a person is the better they'd be able to um, understand that Deafness is just that. Deafness. Not so. I work with doctors and although most if not all are very intelligent I get the same behavior and attitude, well..not from all of them. Maybe one or two have seen past the hearing aids and my voice to see that I'm more than I appear. Regardless...I wanted to thank you for coming here and trying to befriend this lady. :) If it were me you were trying to befriend It'd be the best part of the day for me to actually have someone to talk to. :)

Personally, I always just see a PERSON first. I've been apalled at some of the stuff I've read since I signed up here. People can be so...Ugh!

Jen M.

Is there such a thing as "deaf correctness"? Say; between "born Deaf" vs "latedeafened with Cochlear Implants-who don't use ASL et al?
Not to "suggest political incorrectness' is rampart in the Deaf community-of course.

I have only been deaf 8 months. I don't know enough ASL to communicate yet. However, even if I did my college children have not learned it yet.
I LOVE them bringing their laptops over to talk to me. Just like you they are very fast typers. Right now it is a very good way for me to have a "real" conversation with them. If they had to write everything down, our conversations would be limited. I do try to lipread but I always have to ask them to repeat themselves. So as a mother to 3 young adults, I'll take a laptop conversation anyday!! Good luck.

Thanks angle! Yeah, the conversation does seem really stilted when we have to use the interpreters. I too was thinking that the laptop might make active discussions a bit easier, since our class is very groupwork-oriented. :aw:

In this Instant Messaging and Social Network world....chatting in this manner is the 'in' thing even with hearing people. I do this with my young adult and teenage children all the time (and they are all hearing btw). I also love it when people use that means of communication with me. It is a happy medium for all concerned.

Keep in mind that most hearing people, when they learn you are deaf, apologize and walk away.

believe me, we'd rather you'd stay, and make an effort to meet us halfway, by writing things down if you don't know sign or we're having trouble lipreading you.

++!

And the teacher (an English teacher, nonetheless) seems to think she can't read. What?! :confused:

Truly puzzling what hearing people think of deaf people, based on, well, nothing at all.

I worked in an IRS building once, where I met a guy who - I shit you not - asked me honestly if deaf people could drive. I could see that he honestly had never thought of this before, and had obviously never met a deaf person in his life. I felt pretty odd telling him of course deaf people can drive. :shock:

Hi all! :wave:

I am hearing, and I am in a class in college with a woman who is deaf. She has an interpreter, can lipread somewhat and has a clear speaking voice. I've not had much interaction with those who are deaf/hoh, coming from a small farming community, and so I am unsure what might be considered offensive or insensitive that I may be unconsciously doing, or things that make it harder for us to communicate. She seems *very* nice, but she is there to learn and not educate me on deaf culture/etiquette, so I'd rather not bother her with these questions unless she mentions it first. But that's what you wonderful people can help me with! :D

Do you have any "Deafness/HOH for Hearing Dummies" tips or rules for me?

Also, would you consider it okay to communicate via laptop? I'm a very fast typer and I usually communicate much clearer via type rather than speech. I feel bad for her (and the interpreters!) who have to translate all of my umm's and ah's. I don't know if it is considered to be an impersonal method of interacting, though. :dunno2:

Thanks everybody!

The fact that you are thinking these things puts you head, shoulders and entire body above the crowd. You should simply take your questions to your classmate, because you have exactly the right attitude about it. :)

I met a guy who - I shit you not - asked me honestly if deaf people could drive.

:squint:

What an idiot. I wish I could say I was surprised, but the morons seem to be consistently lowering the bar day by day.

Sometimes people just need to be slapped upside the head.:roll:

What an idiot. I wish I could say I was surprised, but the morons seem to be consistently lowering the bar day by day.

Today, I was talking to few people about selling my 1977 Caprice wagon. They asked me who they would be talking to in person. Who is the owner of the car?

You are squinting now, but are you sure you don't have any misconceptions of your own?? :P

Back