HELP PLEAZE I have a problem with a maybe deaf neighbor...

questionsplz

Reaction score
I don't know where else to turn, I live above a "man who needs hearing aids" that can't hear hir t.v. but can hear me walking? Is this even possible?

Anyways I am so tired of the extremely loud t.v volume all hours of the day and night.

I think that even if someone has hearing problems that gives them absolutely no excuse to be so inconsiderate, rude and unkind to neighbors.

Now I don't know any deaf people so please help me out here.

Am I being unreasonable in this situation to demand that this loudness stops?

By the way this man was extremely rude when I tried to talk about this.

assuming that this man is hearing impaired....don't you guys think this bullshit on his part to be taking advantage of this "deafness".

what is he feeling?

thanks.:wave:

I can feel people walking from the vibrations of the floor. It can be really obvious when the floor is old or doesn't have a stable structure. Try it yourself. Try to stuff your ears with something and ask someone to walk in the hallway. In this aspect, it is a very likely possibility that he can feel you walking.

As for what to do with him, I say present him with options (what they are, i dont know, hopefully others can help with this).

Understanding, the best bet is contact police and let them know and allow them to handle this, unless this neighbor KNOWS it is you.

It is very easy for me to know somebody walking by, most deaf people are very sensitive with vibration around them, that is probably why hearing people don't realize that. No offense but I was wondering WHY hearing people expect that the only ONE of 5 senses is required to be able to live normal, whats wrong with other 4 senses? For example, hearing is required for driving. We Deaf all know it is not true.

Seriously, I have heard Deaf and blind person CAN tell who is coming in by feeling their footsteps. I find it strange but I can believe it because I have similar experience but not that extreme.

At my end, sometimes my son who is hearing turns volume on TV all the way up and I have no idea and it does frustrates me because I hate bothering neighbors, my son is only 7 yrs old and still don't really understand the respect.

I don't know where else to turn, I live above a "man who needs hearing aids" that can't hear hir t.v. but can hear me walking? Is this even possible?

Anyways I am so tired of the extremely loud t.v volume all hours of the day and night.

I think that even if someone has hearing problems that gives them absolutely no excuse to be so inconsiderate, rude and unkind to neighbors.

Now I don't know any deaf people so please help me out here.

Am I being unreasonable in this situation to demand that this loudness stops?

By the way this man was extremely rude when I tried to talk about this.

assuming that this man is hearing impaired....don't you guys think this bullshit on his part to be taking advantage of this "deafness".

what is he feeling?

thanks.:wave:

I can feel people walking from the vibrations of the floor. It can be really obvious when the floor is old or doesn't have a stable structure. Try it yourself. Try to stuff your ears with something and ask someone to walk in the hallway. In this aspect, it is a very likely possibility that he can feel you walking.

As for what to do with him, I say present him with options (what they are, i dont know, hopefully others can help with this).

thanks guyz...i know there are different types of causes of deafness and different tones, i don't want to be a brat about it but this man hears well enough to have a completely regular conversation and was so ...so rude.

i mean this t.v. is so loud i can feel it vibrate in the floor it is audible outside.

i try to understand how it must feel ...i'm sure it is hard and it sux not being able to watch t.v. and understand it without it making neighbors mad.

i am thinking though that it was reasonable of me to ask that the t.v. not be so loud...i have to live here also.

well.....thank you for explaining how he can feel the vibrations it really does make sense, i was a lil stumped when he said that.

Understanding, the best bet is contact police and let them know and allow them to handle this, unless this neighbor KNOWS it is you.

It is very easy for me to know somebody walking by, most deaf people are very sensitive with vibration around them, that is probably why hearing people don't realize that. No offense but I was wondering WHY hearing people expect that the only ONE of 5 senses is required to be able to live normal, whats wrong with other 4 senses? For example, hearing is required for driving. We Deaf all know it is not true.

Seriously, I have heard Deaf and blind person CAN tell who is coming in by feeling their footsteps. I find it strange but I can believe it because I have similar experience but not that extreme.

At my end, sometimes my son who is hearing turns volume on TV all the way up and I have no idea and it does frustrates me because I hate bothering neighbors, my son is only 7 yrs old and still don't really understand the respect.

thnks die for your response...i don't think it's call the police time...i just really think this individual doesn't give a crap no matter his situation with hearing.

i guess some ppl are just jerks to others of course, still though i do want to make sure that i am more tolerable, because it must be so difficult and frustrating for him.

i just wonder though,,,i mean he is not an idiot...obviously if the t.v. is on number 50 it is way to loud. time for captions and turn it way down. that is what i would do.

about the hearing ppl question...i think it is ridiculous that a deaf person who is fully capable in body can't drive while a teenager blasting his eardrums out can...and he can't hear sirens with music tht loud.

also that a quadrapalegic person can drive a car with a stick ..????

wrong that deaf ppl can't drive...i did not know that.

i think most hearing ppl don't know any deaf ppl. i didn't even know being deaf was a cultural thing untill i heard that some ppl do not give thier kids the choclear implant because they want them to be deaf like them to preserve the culture.

i dont understand that at all.

Really, it is not an excuse to be Deaf that they can crank up the volume all the way up.

It is all about respect, this person might lack respect or don't understand the meaning of Respect.

If he wanted to understand what's being said on TV. There's Closed Caption, which would thereby reduce the need for loudness in volume.....

Maybe you should nicely suggest that option to your rude neighbour.

Tell him to turn down volume!! ;) He need hearing aid!

Just a bit of clarification... I think diehardbiker was referring to some ignorant people he's met who are of the opinion that we shouldn't be permitted to drive. We absolutely are able to obtain drivers licenses just like everyone else.

If not worked out then you can call police to complain about loud, noisy issue, let police to have deal with deaf man.

Being loud or noisy from volume isn't covered by ADA, no excuse for deaf man who couldn't hear it and turn all volume at max, if HA don't help then get CI or accept silent life.

Or other option like Miss-Delectable said, tell him to use CC.

Hard of hearing people often do not realize how loud they are talking or how loud the TV is. If this man lives alone he may be unaware of the disturbance he is making. Perhaps a friendly chat may be inorder to let him know how he is effecting other people.

At the old house on Long Island, I used to tell who's walking near me: my mom or my sister from feeling the floors. Not anymore though, different houses now.

thank everyone,,,,i will keep you guyz up to date. thnks so much i really wanted the perspective from other ppl with hearing problems to make sure i'm not being insensitive or out of line.

:)

If he wanted to understand what's being said on TV. There's Closed Caption, which would thereby reduce the need for loudness in volume.....

Maybe you should nicely suggest that option to your rude neighbour.

bingo.

Most tv's are closed captioned anyway. Unless his tv is circa-1990 or whatever. To crank the volume up during unreasonable hours is pretty rude, doesnt matter if youre deaf or not.

Is your neighbor late deafened? If he just lost his hearing whether it was quickly or slowly, he may not realize that he has the TV on loud and when confronted with it, he may not want to deal with it due to possible denial about his hearing loss. My dad is that way..he is hoh from environmental noise pollution but is in denial about it. He refuses to get hearing aids and his wife complains about the TV being on too loud.

If he grew up with his hearing loss, then I dont understand what is his problem. He should know that there is closed captioning available. Weird.

Good luck!

bingo.

Most tv's are closed captioned anyway. Unless his tv is circa-1990 or whatever. To crank the volume up during unreasonable hours is pretty rude, doesnt matter if youre deaf or not.

Only if the Tv is of a certain size or bigger. There is no CC on smaller tvs. CC might be usless if the guy has macular degeneration. Some people would get Macular Degeneration when they get old. They would lose the central vision so they aren't able to read but would be able to get around easily, depending on how bad the loss is. Headphone would be better in this case.

Has it occurred you that he may have ear wax stuck in his ears? That happened to my mom in law once. She called us and told us to come over right away. I was surprised to hear the tv blaring when we entered the house since I wear hearing aids. She thought she was losing her hearing. We told her to see the doctor to check her ears. It turned out she had wads of ear wax in both of her ears. The dr explained that the elderly people tend to forget to clean their ears and sometimes wax builds up quicker. Perhaps you can talk to your neighbor's children or friend if there is any.

Maybe he didn't realized the TV was very loud, it happened to me before, when we checked in a hotel, I turned the TV on, I didn't realized the volume was all the way up and it was loud even my dad heard it where he was staying at which next door to us. The next day he informed me that I had the TV volume up so high that he couldn't sleep, and was hoping I would turn the damn TV off. :laugh2:

Back