Help ! Got new VP suddenly can't unerstand ASL ?!? ?

wavedancer

Reaction score
Help!

After losing my TTY and a few years of having DH make phone calls for me I finally broke down and got a PurpleSmartVP.

Hallelujah, Free at last ! :roll:

Erm, or not L

All of a sudden I can't understand any ASL ?

I learned ASL and a good amount of SEE while I was still HoH as a teenager and had a few tutors after going completely Deaf. DH is in his first year in an ASL interpreter program at the local college. I can't say I'm the world's Best ASL signer but we are Both years ahead of ASL 1. I prefer ASL as my main method of communication and have Interpreters for any important appointments. In the past there have only been 1 or 2 Interpreters I've had any problem understanding.

For some reason I can't understand the interpreters on the VP at all !

Today my husband went out an I sent him out with a Script, and told him to call me and go through the script, it was a very simple script about where he was, what he wanted me to get and what time he'd be home.

He signed it to me before he left and it made perfect sense. Then he called and I am not kidding, I got ONE word, and that only because I had the poor lady fingerspell it three times !

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Or any suggestions of how to get used to this VP ?

Part of me just wants to cry right now and get another TTY, but I really want to make this work so I can make phone calls to other Deafies eventually !

That is unusual I have never heard of anything like that happening. Could be either something related to your vision or brain function? (two different mediums of transmitting of ASL-- one is in person and the other is more or less via a screen).

I would check to be sure that the video portion is functioning as best as possible in streaming as sometimes it can come through choppy (that has happened to me); keep in mind though I'm basing that on the fact I use the software rather than the stand alone VP devices.

Is there anyone you can call directly to do person to person and see if you can understand the other person signing?

That is unusual I have never heard of anything like that happening. Could be either something related to your vision or brain function? (two different mediums of transmitting of ASL-- one is in person and the other is more or less via a screen).

I would check to be sure that the video portion is functioning as best as possible in streaming as sometimes it can come through choppy (that has happened to me); keep in mind though I'm basing that on the fact I use the software rather than the stand alone VP devices.

Is there anyone you can call directly to do person to person and see if you can understand the other person signing?

Thnaks for the response ! I'm going to try a direct call on Wenesday, hopefully. The other Vp We were going to use was in use last week :( I'm wondering about the vision/Brain stuff. I have NO Depth Perception but actually thought that would make it easier to use the VP, lol.

I do watch Dh's class videos with Little to no problem, but Dh thinks it has something to do with the screen. I'll recheck the video, since it does seem choppy sometimes, I think it's 720Dpi ?

Hope to get other idea's soon, this is really making me sad :(

Back