? about charges for the person placing a call to a # that is forwarded

Jane B.

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems long but what I am asking about is not that common a situation.

Because of hearing problems, I HAVE to use a captioning service app to understand what is said to me on a cell phone. The captioning service app that I have found that offers the feature combination that I like best buys numbers in blocks and the ones they are currently using are all California numbers. I am in an area in Southern Illinois where quite a number of people and companies use landlines which gets us into long distance charges.

Because of sometimes being in an area that does not give me the simultaneous voice & data that I need for the app to work (although this does not happen as often as it used to; I am now using an AT&T MVNO) I have two active cell phones with different numbers. That is to use one like you would the browser on a computer and the other one for me to talk using a different service than this question is about.

I am not wanting to ask people to pay long distance to call me when if it wasn't for me using the captioning service it would be a local call! What if I tell them to call the number for one of the phones but have that number being forwarded to the captioning service app number on the other phone. When I answer with that captioning service app will the person placing the call incur long distance charges?

Here is a link to the site of the captioning service: http://innocaption.com/

I am not sure what your saying, I do recall that days of having two separate numbers for caption calls are now thing of past, effective about 5 years ago.

Sorry if this seems long but what I am asking about is not that common a situation.

Because of hearing problems, I HAVE to use a captioning service app to understand what is said to me on a cell phone. The captioning service app that I have found that offers the feature combination that I like best buys numbers in blocks and the ones they are currently using are all California numbers. I am in an area in Southern Illinois where quite a number of people and companies use landlines which gets us into long distance charges.

Because of sometimes being in an area that does not give me the simultaneous voice & data that I need for the app to work (although this does not happen as often as it used to; I am now using an AT&T MVNO) I have two active cell phones with different numbers. That is to use one like you would the browser on a computer and the other one for me to talk using a different service than this question is about.

I am not wanting to ask people to pay long distance to call me when if it wasn't for me using the captioning service it would be a local call! What if I tell them to call the number for one of the phones but have that number being forwarded to the captioning service app number on the other phone. When I answer with that captioning service app will the person placing the call incur long distance charges?

Here is a link to the site of the captioning service: http://innocaption.com/

I am not sure what your saying, I do recall that days of having two separate numbers for caption calls are now thing of past, effective about 5 years ago.

The paragraph that I have added the bold to in the quote is just a side explanation of why I have two active cell phones. It is a way to use my VOICE and NOT THE KEYBOARD!

What I am trying to find out is if the person calling me from a landline would incur long distance charges if I told them to call one of my cell phones (a local number) but I would have that number set to forward to the number from InnoCaption that is a California number on my other cell phone? This is when the people calling me are on a landline in Southern Illinois.

I have known that if you don't have unlimited call plan including LD, then when your phone forwards call to another phone and if it is LD, yes you will be charged for additional fees not the caller who made first call to you.

This makes me wondering why need them when these relay companies have already integrated into single call, they have phased out the requirement of having second line. A bunch of changes have been made since 2008, anytime prior to 2008, yes requires two separate lines for VCO, but I DO remember clearly that it is a thing of past.

If I were you, I wouldn't come down here on AD and ask around because I know I won't get reliable information that I needed. I would contact Relay provider directly and ask for solution because often Relay companies don't tell everybody everything, they only tell when asked. Why this is happening that way? Simple put, everyone has different needs, and their accommodating needs differ from others from time to time.

Now that it is easier than before, we now have only 5 or 6 relay operators, much easier than figuring out which 50 providers. So give them call and find out.

I have known that if you don't have unlimited call plan including LD, then when your phone forwards call to another phone and if it is LD, yes you will be charged for additional fees not the caller who made first call to you.

This makes me wondering why need them when these relay companies have already integrated into single call, they have phased out the requirement of having second line. A bunch of changes have been made since 2008, anytime prior to 2008, yes requires two separate lines for VCO, but I DO remember clearly that it is a thing of past.

If I were you, I wouldn't come down here on AD and ask around because I know I won't get reliable information that I needed. I would contact Relay provider directly and ask for solution because often Relay companies don't tell everybody everything, they only tell when asked. Why this is happening that way? Simple put, everyone has different needs, and their accommodating needs differ from others from time to time.

Now that it is easier than before, we now have only 5 or 6 relay operators, much easier than figuring out which 50 providers. So give them call and find out.

diehardbiker
You replies have become frustrating! I put the bit in about why I have two cell phones active to eliminate questions about me having two active. Part of it is what phone service is available here not the captioning service. BUT you seem to not be able to get passed that to my CURRENT question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, please what I am trying to find out NOW is if the person calling me from a landline would incur long distance charges if I told them to call one of my cell phones (a local number) but I would have that number set to forward to the number from InnoCaption that is a California number on my other cell phone? This is when the people calling me are on a landline in Southern Illinois.

I don't think this is a question that can be answered by AD members. It's something you have to work out with your service providers. Unless one of our members works for such a service or has experience with your exact situation, we can't give you an authoritative reply.

I don't think this is a question that can be answered by AD members. It's something you have to work out with your service providers. Unless one of our members works for such a service or has experience with your exact situation, we can't give you an authoritative reply.

No one seems to be absolutely positive but from the local landline provider (AT&T), the caption service and several forums it seems that it will be worthwhile for me to get together with someone to try it with the agreement that I will pay them back — if they are charged long distance for this.

Back