Zebadee's Activation.

zebadee2010

Reaction score
So Today was the first of my two day activation. Things are going well overall.
I should say that I had perfect hearing for 18 years of my life. So I had already learned language and most sounds. I lost my hearing due to a fall at church.

Anyways..

When she was doing the tests for I guess a basic map, That was kinda hard because I could barely hear the beeps at times, and sometimes I could hear them but not tell how many there were.

After she turned it on and finished the first map, I could understand her pretty well. I still had to look at her and it did sound very different, but I could understand her.
When we got back to the hotel, I called my sister and was able to communicate with her fairly well.. She put her boyfriend on the phone and it was harder to understand him..

I've been listening to music for the past 30 minutes or so, mostly songs that I used to listen to, ones i know the words to. I can understand them since i already know what the words are supposed to be.

Everything still sounds very robotic, high pitched, squeaky, etc. and some things sound muffled. It's not the same kind of sound that I was expecting, but I am very glad I am able to understand things pretty well.

I don't think i did well on the sound testing today though. as things across the room are hard to hear if at all. but if they are close, within a few feet, I can hear pretty well..

Zebadee, Congrats on your activation! Just remember it will take time for your brain to adjust to the implant. Just hang in there and things will start to sound more normal. I am still adjusting to my second implant and it is sounding better all the time. Don't fret about how you are doing on the sound testing right now. This is only the first day and you can be given more volume once you are comfortable with it. Your audi will ask how things sound.

Big Z,

Congratulations!

Sounds like you going to be doing well with your CI. Don't sweat the small stuff. It will get better as you go.

It's just like during testing today it was hard to hear some of the higher frequency sounds.
Now that i'm actually using it, i'm finding that if people are a few chairs down at the table for instance I can't even hear them talking, and like the TV is at 50 out of 100 and I can barely hear it. My volume is turned to 10, and sensitivity is at 12, she told me not to mess with it yet...

Big Z,

Yeah, you need to adjust to your CI first and get used to your maps before messing with your settings.

Small steps. Absorb it all in. I'm really glad it's working out for you. I've always been curious how a CI is like for someone who could hear fine and then became deaf and now is using a CI. This is truly fascinating. I hope you're at least doing a blog or some kind of daily writing to document your journey/experiences.

Big Z,

Yeah, you need to adjust to your CI first and get used to your maps before messing with your settings.

I understand I need to adjust. I just don't know why she said not to mess with the sensitivity, she said I could change the volume though...

Small steps. Absorb it all in. I'm really glad it's working out for you. I've always been curious how a CI is like for someone who could hear fine and then became deaf and now is using a CI. This is truly fascinating. I hope you're at least doing a blog or some kind of daily writing to document your journey/experiences.

It is fairly neat. I just hope that it gets better. As far as a blog or something, thats coming in the form of facebook and messages on here..

congrats:) that gives me hope that I would maybe do well since I was hearing up until the age of 16:) it only gets better from here!

Zebadee 2010: The start of your new hearing journey. As the above comments mentioned just a lot of time to get used to the new sounds. It will be determined completed by you as your audi will be altering the mapping based on what you say is "best". Your circumstances are very different than many here-sudden vs years. Thus the number of required mapping session varies- no problem. Just give the audi honest answers.
Enjoy the New Years which is probably very different than what you expected a year ago. Life can bring surprises was surely realized by you. Cheers

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Z,

Your progress is well with the CI. Just give it time and it will get better and better. The robotic sounds will start to normalize and appear pretty normal to you over time.. I am glad you can understand speech and music for the most part on day 1. My experience on A-day was alot like your's It is a totally different beast than what normal hearing is like. Just keep practicing man it will get better as they fine tune it to your liking. Im very happy for you man! Cheers.

wtg Zee. Ive been wondering how you have been doing. When they turned it on did the ringing in your ear go away?

Good for you Zebadee! Like the others said, it takes some getting used to. And it also sounded like you already did pretty good for someone who had just gotten activated, already talking on the phone a bit. That's more than what you can say for some of the CI users.

And your next mapping will probably be in about 3 months right? Usually new CI users will get them more often before eventually expanding them to about every 6 months.

Good for you Zebadee! Like the others said, it takes some getting used to. And it also sounded like you already did pretty good for someone who had just gotten activated, already talking on the phone a bit. That's more than what you can say for some of the CI users.

And your next mapping will probably be in about 3 months right? Usually new CI users will get them more often before eventually expanding them to about every 6 months.

Yeah, I'm surprised at well i'm doing, i'm also very surprised at how it sounds. Actually I go today for the second day of activation, then i come back in two weeks to get more mapping done.. It's not that fun the mapping. It's kinda boring.

wtg Zee. Ive been wondering how you have been doing. When they turned it on did the ringing in your ear go away?

the ringing kinda went away, as soon as i take it off it comes back though.
i still hear it in the left ear but all the metallic clicking noises drown it out.

Yeah, I'm surprised at well i'm doing, i'm also very surprised at how it sounds. Actually I go today for the second day of activation, then i come back in two weeks to get more mapping done.. It's not that fun the mapping. It's kinda boring.

the ringing kinda went away, as soon as i take it off it comes back though.
i still hear it in the left ear but all the metallic clicking noises drown it out.

Z,

That is fantastic news, keep in mind the advice given above and take it one day at a time. Please keep us posted and I wish you all the best but remember it will take time and sometimes several maps.
WTG!,
Rick

Z,

That is fantastic news, keep in mind the advice given above and take it one day at a time. Please keep us posted and I wish you all the best but remember it will take time and sometimes several maps.
WTG!,
Rick

I'm going to try and follow the advice above as closely as possible. I'm more or less stressed to get it at least understandable before next week so I can work. I'll either have to translate music and run "powerpoint" for the words, or i'll end up running a camera, either way i need to understand speech without seeing whos doing the talking. Right now i'm just worried about wearing a headset and being able to hear anything...

But I think it's going good. I'm getting better, I can't run the DVD they game me till I get home to my PC, it's not mac compatible.. So i've been just listening to music and watching tv. it seems to be helping a bit :aw:

I'm going to try and follow the advice above as closely as possible. I'm more or less stressed to get it at least understandable before next week so I can work. I'll either have to translate music and run "powerpoint" for the words, or i'll end up running a camera, either way i need to understand speech without seeing whos doing the talking. Right now i'm just worried about wearing a headset and being able to hear anything...

But I think it's going good. I'm getting better, I can't run the DVD they game me till I get home to my PC, it's not mac compatible.. So i've been just listening to music and watching tv. it seems to be helping a bit :aw:

Great just keep focusing on that each day can bring more advancement than the day before.
Rick

Regarding the headset - you need to talk to your CI audie and see how you can make that work - probably the best thing would be using DAI.

I'm thinking a standard headset is not going to work, considering CI mic placement, feedback etc.

regarding the headset - you need to talk to your ci audie and see how you can make that work - probably the best thing would be using dai.

I'm thinking a standard headset is not going to work, considering ci mic placement, feedback etc.

dai?

Back