RV Show this weekend in Houston

deafdrummer

Reaction score
Hello guys! I went to the RV show on Thursday to look at trailers for ideas for a potential home of my own. It's ongoing if anyone wants to go through Sunday at the Reliant Center.

I've got issues with my apartment, and I hope I can get them resolved rather than have to move out, but I will do the latter if necessary.

I am looking for a travel trailer to be my next home for several years, and I need to have room for my drums (8X8). I learned a lot, like rear living area, rear entertainment models, electric control panels to power different things from one place, etc.

I'm considering something like this.

Attachments

• IMG_3314.jpg
    IMG_3314.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3316.jpg
    IMG_3316.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 12
And then I spied this and wondered what would cost this much money. I don't know why someone would spend this much money, and THEN have to keep it in running shape, which is a LOT more expensive than a tow rig for a travel trailer/fifth wheel trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3331.jpg
    IMG_3331.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3333.jpg
    IMG_3333.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 9
Another option I have been looking at is a toy hauler, if it has a big enough area for both drums and my computer work area, which this one does, NO PROBLEM. You'll notice that there is a dark thing up at the top where the ramp would go into - that is a roll-down screen to keep the bugs out!

Attachments

• IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3343.jpg
    IMG_3343.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3344.jpg
    IMG_3344.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3345.jpg
    IMG_3345.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3346.jpg
    IMG_3346.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, I'm seriously considering buying one in near future. Not going to get brand new cause they depreciates really fast, and used one will do. Thinking of 27 footer, and I never wanted the 5th wheel type unless somebody tells me why it is better (Only that I know its cheaper cause harder to sell). I know my truck can haul 5th wheel, just that I don't like the idea of clearing up bed.

Still have goal of traveling to west, camping at national parks is cheaper only if you got access pass which I already have one. Also many of my in laws are in the west and I'm stuck in back East.

And then I spied this and wondered what would cost this much money. I don't know why someone would spend this much money, and THEN have to keep it in running shape, which is a LOT more expensive than a tow rig for a travel trailer/fifth wheel trailer.

why not? because he can! :lol:

And the show looked like this. Notice the fancier toy hauler here.

Attachments

• IMG_3335.jpg
    IMG_3335.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 11

RV people are a culture of their own. That is actually pretty cheap, they can go For $1 million. Part of the reason for the cost is that almost everything on it is custom. The engines are pretty amazing too and will last forever.

Another option I have been looking at is a toy hauler, if it has a big enough area for both drums and my computer work area, which this one does, NO PROBLEM. You'll notice that there is a dark thing up at the top where the ramp would go into - that is a roll-down screen to keep the bugs out!
Very cool!

Storage is also a factor. 5th is nice for short trips or living in one place. Full size RV is best for long trips.

We had friends, a retired couple, who sold their house and bought an RV. They traveled the country for several years. They would earn money along the way working in the campgrounds where they stayed.

We know several missionary and evangelist families who travel and live full time in RV's. Most are 5th wheel types. Some even have CDL's and pull their rigs with semi cabs. Couples with four kids and a dog need lots of space. :lol:

"Trailers" have come a long way in style, convenience, and function.

We had friends, a retired couple, who sold their house and bought an RV. They traveled the country for several years. They would earn money along the way working in the campgrounds where they stayed.

We know several missionary and evangelist families who travel and live full time in RV's. Most are 5th wheel types. Some even have CDL's and pull their rigs with semi cabs. Couples with four kids and a dog need lots of space. :lol:

Yeah I think it is personal preference. Would you rather drive the big thing and tow the small thing or Drive the small thing and tow the big thing.

You bring up a good point though. In Texas a Class B license is required to drive the larger RVs. That can be a bad thing for lead foots because fines go way up for speeding with a Class B license....even when driving a car.

Reba, this got me to thinking about a couple of things.

Were you married at the time you were active duty? If so, what did you do about housing?

Going even further back than us (I seem to be just a few years older than you) I had a foster uncle I guess you would call him. My grandparents raised my grandfather's sister's girl after she lost her mother at the age of 2. So, she seemed like a aunt to me. Anyway later her husband was career army and as the "trailers" evolved into "mobile homes" that is what they went to rather than have to rearrange into something different at each different base.

My guess is, I will be buying used, so that I won't be limited to only the new brands available at the dealer I want to go to, which is Holiday World. Very nice people I talked to. Elsewhere, I had run into someone who told me how to defend myself in the matter regarding my apartment manager's failure to make the water-damage repairs to my unit in a reasonable time (it has been three months since the water leak was fixed, and the damage to the cabinets, counter top, and carpet was not repaired... Yesterday, I sent the manager my first letter certified mail, return receipt requested. I requested that the repairs be made in a reasonable time. If I can stay here until end-of-September, then I can save enough money to have a small down payment for my trailer. Otherwise, I have to cash out a part of my savings to do it.

Oh, and I contacted the Houston Apartment Association, though I was told they would do only a little bit, since they represent the members of the association, not the renters. Let's see what happens. They may choose to let me go (that may have been their intent) so they can free up the unit to rent at a much higher price to a new tenant. I had a neighbor have her rent jacked up from $599 on the current lease to $750 on the new lease, so she moved out. They may be trying to flush me out. In that case, then I would be getting out earlier than I planned to into my new home. I don't like it here anymore, after the run-ins with other people trying to go out the main gate the wrong way, leaky windows and door, no insulation in the walls, and delays in repairs (or even forget to do them!), or not doing the repairs right in the first place. The water leaks is the bad part, with 40-year-old buildings with the electrical system grounded on the hot water lines (which cause electrolysis of the galvanized steel pipes). I see the owner of the property (from Greece, which figures) driving different new cars every few months, spendy cigars and jewelry. His son, who lives there as well with his small, growing family, drives a Lincoln Navigator. The racial demographic is changing, too, because the rent is going up around here fast. My elderly neighbor can't move to a better place for this reason.

However, if I get a trailer, because I'm on the coast, I have to be prepared to rent a truck for several days to move my trailer out of danger until the hurricane passes and may have to do it more than once in a season, unless I move back to Austin or to the east of Dallas.

is that a balcony in the back of RV?

Yes, sir, it is. You can remove the fencing on the ramp to run your ORVs up into the cargo area. Just let the cables drop the ramp down to the ground. The ramp goes up to the door with a good seal and locks. This particular model has a smaller version of a sliding glass door that you see in homes. I had never seen that before, which was interesting!

Yes, sir, it is. You can remove the fencing on the ramp to run your ORVs up into the cargo area. Just let the cables drop the ramp down to the ground. The ramp goes up to the door with a good seal and locks. This particular model has a smaller version of a sliding glass door that you see in homes. I had never seen that before, which was interesting!

that's crazy!

RV people are a culture of their own.

Very true! There's even parks that only let in motorhomes, or motorhomes plus trailers no older than 10 years old! If they ask you how old your trailer is, hang up and look for the next RV park.

We know several missionary and evangelist families who travel and live full time in RV's.

The first group would be workampers. The second group, however, travel for religious reasons and are thusly referred to as workcampers to make the religious distinction (note the lack of "c" in the first spelling).

I would love to drive an RV/bus and I've always fantasized about owning one since little. I guess that explains why I prefer riding in a bus instead of train or why I love driving long and far.

Back