Deaf Education research......

Status
Not open for further replies.
*shrugs* We all know that there is nobody that said ASL was bad.. However the indicators are there that people think its better to ship their kids off to an oral school...

Which in all respect this research disproved.

Actually, there is no reason that you can not utilize ASL and an oral school. I know several Deaf families who choose to send their children to oral schools. (As well as ourselves and some other hearing families.)

The research says that those who sign from an early age do the best, it has nothing to do with what school they attend.

Actually, there is no reason that you can not utilize ASL and an oral school. I know several Deaf families who choose to send their children to oral schools. (As well as ourselves and some other hearing families.)

The research says that those who sign from an early age do the best, it has nothing to do with what school they attend.

Oral schools dont use sign language, yes?

Lol, well, I'm seeing that this thread is saying I suck b/c I never used ASL growing up.

So? The research doesn't say that ASL has to be the only language or even the primary language.

This research says: kids who use sign language out perform these who dont. Simply said.

The research or myself are not saying it has to be the ONLY language. If the said child who was in oral school all their life and was decently successful, they would be much more successful using their strengths to learn. In this case: Visual strengths.

Lol, well, I'm seeing that this thread is saying I suck b/c I never used ASL growing up.

You do excellent no matter what communication method you used. If you lived in my generation where CI was rare and sometimes unheard of. And your parents used ASL, does this mean you wouldn't be where you are today?

This research says: kids who use sign language out perform these who dont. Simply said.

The research or myself are not saying it has to be the ONLY language. If the said child who was in oral school all their life and was decently successful, they would be much more successful using their strengths to learn. In this case: Visual strengths.

I long already knew visual is one of my strengths long time ago and I used it often when doing homework or learning about stuff over the years.

Would it have been better if I went to a school for the deaf instead of some regular public school?

You do excellent no matter what communication method you used. If you lived in my generation where CI was rare and sometimes unheard of. And your parents used ASL, does this mean you wouldn't be where you are today?

I have no clue where I would be now if my parents had used ASL when I growing up. Maybe different life and college? It's kinda moot now, isn't it? Lol.

Everything that has been stated in the research is what I see in real life.

The point is that EITHER language works, so why judge someone who choose one vs another?

You are misreading.
It is not either language works well. It is both languages work well in combination.

Everything that has been stated in the research is what I see in real life.

Me, too. You are seeing it at the elementary level, and I am seeing it at the college level. And the article simply states the same things that you and I have been saying for about 3 years now.

BTW, thanks, PFH. :ty:

You know, I actually have a copy of the research this article was based on. I posted a citation for it a couple of years ago, and sent out a few copies by email to members. When you actually read the research report, the differences in performance for kids who do not have the advantage of sign and spoken language is very significant. When applied to the educational setting, where communication and understanding is of the utmost importance for the learning process, I have trouble understanding why a parent would risk placing a deaf child in an oral environment for education. A strengths based approach makes so much more sense.

Well Jullio should it surprise you that parents would want their child to be like them -"speaking-language wise"?
Did the researchers discover that perhaps the point of whether a baby that developed "audio memory of sound" vs those born that couldn't-is of critical importance to speaking?
Hasn't this been studied for a long time- the deaf speaking? No conclusion yet!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Well Jullio should it surprise you that parents would want their child to be like them -"speaking-language wise"?
Did the researchers discover that perhaps the point of whether a baby that developed "audio memory of sound" vs those born that couldn't-is of critical importance to speaking?
Hasn't this been studied for a long time- the deaf speaking? No conclusion yet!

Unfortunately, no it doesn't surprise me. It is a sad state of affairs. The parents need to grieve their loss and then buck up and attend to their child's needs. I hear deaf adolescents say everyday that they feel as if their parents were given the wrong kid, and that they were second rate members of the family. That is the message the kids get when the parents attempt to make a child into a carbon copy of themselves. And it is sad for the parents because they never truly experience the joy of having a deaf child and the wonderful perceptions that are opened up to them. They are forever focused on correcting what they believe is a negative.

And no, the research finds nothing of the kind.

Doesn't the primary responsibility belong on the parents in "bringing up THEIR CHILDREN"? Doesn't that include language training-originally? Is one conscious of using speech- all the time?
No easy answers to this ongoing "problem". How much should past history on this be considered-such as prior to the introductions of Hearing aids/Cochlear Implants?

Very interesting article and I am not surprised.
As for the part about the child getting by in a mainstream school but "could be a star" in deaf schools, this can be interpreted in two ways. The common and most predictable way is that in a deaf school, the child understands everything therefore he will do much better instead of "getting by" (fave term for Deaf to describe oral deaf). Another way of interpreting that is.... simply the deaf school is much easier, academic wise. But of course, no one wants to believe that.

I'm a stickler for education and some deaf schools are just not acceptable. Frankly, I don't care that it is accessible. It still doesn't make it right.

Doesn't the primary responsibility belong on the parents in "bringing up THEIR CHILDREN"? Doesn't that include language training-originally? Is one conscious of using speech- all the time?
No easy answers to this ongoing "problem". How much should past history on this be considered-such as prior to the introductions of Hearing aids/Cochlear Implants?

Ignoring history leads to a repeat of the same circumstances that created the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back