NY Court: Parents Can Spank Their Kids

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A New York court has ruled that parents can spank their children. The ruling came after a Long Island dad was accused of child abuse after he spanked his son for swearing at an adult.

In a unanimous decision, an appellate court found that spanking is a reasonable use of force.

Read more from New York Daily News:

In a ruling Wednesday, the state Appellate Division found that a Long Island father’s spanking of an 8-year-old boy “was a reasonable use of force.”

A Suffolk County Family Court judge had determined last year that the father of the boy had abused his son “by inflicting excessive corporal punishment.”

The father allegedly spanked the child with an open hand as punishment for cursing while they were at a party at friend’s home back in 2012, the appeals court ruling says.

“Further, it was alleged that after the father and the child returned home from the party, the father repeatedly struck the child with a belt on the buttocks, legs and arms,” the ruling said.

But while the dad, whose name was withheld, admitted spanking the boy for cursing, he denied hitting him with a belt.

The Appellate Division said there was insufficient evidence to uphold that charge, and gave him a pass on the spanking.

“The father’s open-handed spanking of the child as a form of discipline after he heard the child curse at an adult was a reasonable use of force and, under the circumstances presented here, did not constitute excessive corporal punishment,” the four-judge panel ruled in a unanimous decision.

Courts in other states have also backed up parents who spanked their kids.

NY Court Rules Spanking Is Reasonable Use of Force | Fox News Insider

A New York court has ruled that parents can spank their children. The ruling came after a Long Island dad was accused of child abuse after he spanked his son for swearing at an adult.

In a unanimous decision, an appellate court found that spanking is a reasonable use of force.

Read more from New York Daily News:

In a ruling Wednesday, the state Appellate Division found that a Long Island father’s spanking of an 8-year-old boy “was a reasonable use of force.”

A Suffolk County Family Court judge had determined last year that the father of the boy had abused his son “by inflicting excessive corporal punishment.”

The father allegedly spanked the child with an open hand as punishment for cursing while they were at a party at friend’s home back in 2012, the appeals court ruling says.

“Further, it was alleged that after the father and the child returned home from the party, the father repeatedly struck the child with a belt on the buttocks, legs and arms,” the ruling said.

But while the dad, whose name was withheld, admitted spanking the boy for cursing, he denied hitting him with a belt.

The Appellate Division said there was insufficient evidence to uphold that charge, and gave him a pass on the spanking.

“The father’s open-handed spanking of the child as a form of discipline after he heard the child curse at an adult was a reasonable use of force and, under the circumstances presented here, did not constitute excessive corporal punishment,” the four-judge panel ruled in a unanimous decision.

Courts in other states have also backed up parents who spanked their kids.

NY Court Rules Spanking Is Reasonable Use of Force | Fox News Insider

I would NEVER spank any kids I have. Nope. I'll make them do extra chores or something that DOESN'T involve use of physical force. Better that way.

That is insane! If a parent is in a rage they could really end up hurting the kid. Some people do not when to stop and will use more than their hands to spank their kid. Have people gone completely mad today?

My parents have spanked me a few times. I never saw it as a form of abuse.

My parents have spanked me a few times. I never saw it as a form of abuse.

My dad spanked when he was drunk and I had done nothing , my younger sister made the mess or broke something and I was the one getting slapped
around . I was slapped across the face when I was sound asleep . I could not her my dad coming into my bedroom so I had to think of a way to protect myself so I covered my face with my blanket and when dad moved the blanket to slap me I hope it would wake me up.

My dad spanked when he was drunk and I had done nothing , my younger sister made the mess or broke something and I was the one getting slapped
around . I was slapped across the face when I was sound asleep . I could not her my dad coming into my bedroom so I had to think of a way to protect myself so I covered my face with my blanket and when dad moved the blanket to slap me I hope it would wake me up.

Your situation was different. Your dad sought out to hurt you on purpose. My parents spanked me to show me that they weren't going to tolerate any bad behavior I did. I had to do something really bad or dangerous to get the spanking. Otherwise, they would put me in time-out, ground me, or give me a lecture.

My parents did spank me with their bare hands. We had talked about what did i do was wrong. I dont support the idea of seeing anyone used the belt to spank on kids. Belt can be dangerous.

Your situation was different. Your dad sought out to hurt you on purpose. My parents spanked me to show me that they weren't going to tolerate any bad behavior I did. I had to do something really bad or dangerous to get the spanking. Otherwise, they would put me in time-out, ground me, or give me a lecture.

Parents often spank out of anger and for trivial reasons, real-time study finds | MinnPost

"Globally, at least 37 countries have banned all corporal punishment of children, including that inflicted by parents. "

https://sweden.se/society/smacking-banned-since-1979/

There is a huge difference between abusively beating a child and using spanking for discipline.

I don't see anything wrong with spanking that is done properly, with the right attitude and restraint. It should never be done in anger or when under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and it's use should be very limited. If done right, the times that it's done will taper off over time.

The government should stay out of it when it's not abusive.

It doesn't matter what other countries or the UN want to do; we are a sovereign nation.

I understand that adults who experienced abuse as children will have a different perspective on this. If they don't want to spank, that's their decision. For those who understand how to use corporal discipline properly, they should be allowed to.

I was spanked and turned out perfectly fine.... Lots of kids were spanked and turned out perfectly fine... spanking isn't child abuse good grief! :roll: Look at all these punk kids on the streets today, bet if they got their butts whooped that wouldn't be the case... You know what they do when their parents "give them extra chores?" They say "FU I ain't doin' no extra chores" and leave... They don't listen... Good butt whoopin' would have solved that as a kid... I don't have kids, but if I did, damn right I'd spank them if they got out of line! I respect each parents own way of doing things... if you don't want to spank, that's fine and well... but I was spanked, so was my brother and my sister and we're all outstanding kids... I know my fathers friend did not spank his kids and his kid is a little want to be prostitute who tells him to F off when he tells her to do something... No thanks.

I was spanked as a child and I never saw it as abusive.

I was spanked A LOT. But, hey, I was really naughty!

That being said, personally I find that spanking breeds aggression and anger.

I have two munchkins. I have spanked my 2 year old a handful of times, and it doesn't phase him one bit. Time out, on the other hand, stops him in his tracks.

Every child is different and every parent should be able to find a discipline that works for them (within reason of course). I see nothing wrong with an open hand bottom tap or two.

Parents, including myself, these days are afraid to spank their kids and I noticed that today's kids are different. Less appreciative and more demanding of things. Is it because of not getting disciplined enough?

Have you heard "Spare the rod, spoil the child"?

I personally don't see anything wrong with spanking, and I think it is great tool to discipline kids when they are naughty. Society needs to leave parents alone and mind their own business, because they don't know these kids any better than parents does.

Parents, including myself, these days are afraid to spank their kids and I noticed that today's kids are different. Less appreciative and more demanding of things. Is it because of not getting disciplined enough?

I was spanked as a child and I never saw it as abusive.

I was spanked A LOT. But, hey, I was really naughty!

That being said, personally I find that spanking breeds aggression and anger.

I have two munchkins. I have spanked my 2 year old a handful of times, and it doesn't phase him one bit. Time out, on the other hand, stops him in his tracks.

Every child is different and every parent should be able to find a discipline that works for them (within reason of course). I see nothing wrong with an open hand bottom tap or two.

It didn't breed anger for me and my brothers. Being mainstreamed in an oral-only environment with no support system breed my anger.

That is insane! If a parent is in a rage they could really end up hurting the kid. Some people do not when to stop and will use more than their hands to spank their kid. Have people gone completely mad today?

Yup...look at all those punk kids on the street today because they didnt get their asses beat like we did back in the days.

Because kids carry guns now.

I would NEVER spank any kids I have. Nope. I'll make them do extra chores or something that DOESN'T involve use of physical force. Better that way.

Daddy said it was ok, we just have to work at the rock pile a few years then go back to our old ways....

Mwahahaha, you have not had your own kids to see for yourself. Make them do extra chore is STILL involve use of physical force, just another way to say to make them work more physically by force. LOL!

Best is just shadda up and wait until you have your own kids then you will have completely different perspective! Trust me on that one, cause I learn my lesson the hard way.

Back