Vicodin Can Cause Hearing Loss

Doug5

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this? I read some articles on the internet and apparently its true. In fact it might be why Rush Limbaugh lost his hearing.

I am scared cuz I take Vicoprofren for my arthritis pain. Its similar to Vicodin but it has ibuprofren instead of tylenol. I want to keep whats left of my hearing.

Does anyone know of something safer to take for pain?

yeah, gonna have to talk to him monday.

Im gonna get my ears tested. I hope theyre ok. I have been having a hard time hearing lately

ive noticed certain brands of asprin in general do that. Maybe not take away hearing loss but my tinnitus gets worse when i pop certain brands.

Many drugs are indeed ototoxic (that is, they are dangerous to one's hearing). Pain meds are one of them. Not just vicodin, but most all narcotic pain meds are ototoxic. So are NSAIDS (motrin, advil, naprosyn, ect) and a certain class of antibiotics.

ive noticed certain brands of asprin in general do that. Maybe not take away hearing loss but my tinnitus gets worse when i pop certain brands.

yeah, I noticed when I took a lot of aspirin it messed with my hearing. I quit taking them and my hearing seemed to comeback

Many drugs are indeed ototoxic (that is, they are dangerous to one's hearing). Pain meds are one of them. Not just vicodin, but most all narcotic pain meds are ototoxic. So are NSAIDS (motrin, advil, naprosyn, ect) and a certain class of antibiotics.

yep, I did a search and saw a list.

supposedly, codiene, morphine, fentanyl, and methadone does not harm hearing.

"Medical research concerning Vicodin and hearing loss indicates some preliminary findings that long-term use of morphine and codeine, the "natural" opiates, do not appear to cause hearing dysfunction. Complicating the research into this phenomenon is the fact that other synthetic opiates like Fentanyl and Methadone have not been linked to hearing loss at all-yet!"

Vicodin and Hearing Loss: Medication Side Effects ! Hearing loss, Vicodin and hearing ...

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

Didn't we have another discussion about ototoxic drugs a while back?

sorry rehashing this topic and posting in the wrong section.

I was freaked out learning this. Ive been taking pain medicine for several months for my arthritis. My hearing doesnt feel as sharp.

I hope my doctor will switch medications without too much hassel. He is paranoid about prescribing pain mediciene.

I just realized something...

I'm watching House.

House pops vicodin like candy. I guess he'll become deaf some day. :Ohno:

I just realized something...

I'm watching House.

House pops vicodin like candy. I guess he'll become deaf some day. :Ohno:

That and his liver would be ruined as well. The tylenol they add to vicodin is very toxic to the liver.

Supposedly, addicted doctors drug of choice is Fentanyl. Its 80 times more powerfull than morphine and there isnt a drug test for it yet.

There is a lot of myths and lies about opiate based pain medicienes. They arent as toxic as people think. Their main side effect thats dangerous is suppression of breathing. Thats what makes them so lethal when mixed with alcohol cuz alcohol supresses breathing as well.

Back