Vicodin Can Cause Hearing Loss

Thank you !!! :)

Here's a list, but it's not complete.

IFHOH Web - What You Should Know About Ototoxic Medications

Ototoxic Medications
Finally, you should be aware of the common ototoxic medications, how they are prescribed, and for what conditions they are given.

The following is a simplified list of ototoxic medications and represents the most common drugs. (There are many other medications that have bee listed as potentially ototoxic; however the incidence is insignificant. Consult your physician to be sure.) Keep this list for ready reference.

1. Salicylates - Aspirin and aspirin-containing products
Toxic effects usually appear after consuming an average of 6-8 pills per day.

Toxic effects are always reversible once medications are discontinued.

2. Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) - Advil, Aleve, Anaprox, Clinoril, Feldene, Indocin, Lodine, Motrin, Nalfon, Naprosyn, Nuprin, Poradol, Voltarin
Toxic effects usually appear after consuming an average of 6-8 pills per day.

Toxic effects are usually reversible once medications are discontinued.

3. Antibiotics - Aminoglycosides, Erythromycin, Vancomycin
Aminoglycosides - Streptomycin, Kanamycin, Neomycin, Gentamycin, Tobramysin, Amikacin, Netilmicin

These medications are ototoxic when used intravenously in serious life threatening situations. The blood levels of these medications are usually monitored to prevent ototoxicity.

Topical preparations and ear drops containing these antibiotics, Neomycin and Gentamycin, have not been demonstrated to be ototoxic in humans.

Erythromycin - EES, Eryc, E-mycin, Ilosone, Pediazole, and new derivatives of Erythromycin -- Biaxin, Zithromax
Erythromycin is usually ototoxic when given intravenously in dosages of 2-4 grams per 24 hours -- especially if there is underlying kidney insufficiency.

The usual oral dosage of Erythromycin averaging one gram per 24 hours is not ototoxic.

There are no significant reports of ototoxicity with the new Erythromycin derivatives since they are given orally and in lower dosages.

Vancomycin - Vancocin

This antibiotic is used in a similar manner as the aminoglycosides; when given intravenously in serious life-threatening infections, it is potentially ototoxic. It is usually used in conjunction with the aminoglycosides which enhances the possibility of ototoxicity.

4. Loop Diuretics - Lasix, Edecrin, Bumex
These medications are usually ototoxic when given intravenously for acute kidney failure or acute hypertension.

Rare cases of ototoxicity have been reported when these medications are taken orally in high doses in people with chronic kidney disease.

5. Chemotherapeutic Agents - Cisplatin, Nitrogen Mustard, Vincristine
These medications are ototoxic when given for treatment of cancer. Their ototoxic effects can be minimized by maintaining blood levels of the medications and performing serial audiograms. The ototoxic effects of these medications are enhanced in patients who are already taking other ototoxic medications such as the aminoglycoside antibiotics and the loop diuretics.

6. Quinine - Aralen, Atabrine (for treatment of malaria), Legatrin, Q-Vel Muscle Relaxant (for treatment of night cramps)
The ototoxic effects of quinine are very similar to aspirin and the toxic effects are usually reversible once medication is discontinued.

Just as you are responsible for your overall health, you are responsible for the preservation of your hearing or the preservation of your existing hearing reserve. Being aware of ototoxic medications and their potential warnings is a good safeguard to protect your hearing -- and a sound investment!

Thanks, OB! You beat me to it.:giggle:

This is true. Ototoxicity occurrs with more than recommended doses over a long period of time. In other words, with someone who abuses the medication, and not someone who uses it as prescribed.

So, I've got two questions:
1. Can you prove this? and
2. Does this mean I am safe taking much less than the dosage on the bottle? It says I can take four in a day, but I take less than one per day. Sometimes I go days without taking any!

2. Does this mean I am safe taking much less than the dosage on the bottle? It says I can take four in a day, but I take less than one per day. Sometimes I go days without taking any!

Prove how ototoxic effects occur? It's pretty well documented. Just ask your doctor.

And some people are more susceptible to the effects.

This isn't something you should be putting out silly challenges on an internet forum about.

Consult your own medical professional.

Prove about ototoxic drugs? It's fact. Look it up anywhere.

Back