Time Travel in Movies? (SPOILERS)

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
If you want to talk about what you would do if you could time travel, go to this thread... http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/107423-time-travel.html

This thread is for movies with time travel in them.

Be warned, this thread may contain spoilers for time travel movies. So, if you see a post starting with a title of a movie that you haven't seen... skip it or close the window so that it won't be spoiled! :)

What movies have you see that had time travel in them? Did those time travel theories make sense? Were there flaws or mistakes in them?

Back to the Future series

In the movies, Doc and Marty travel to the past and the future in a time traveling Delorean.

The theory is that if you go back in time, change something, then return to the present... it will be in the altered present as it was affected by what you changed in the past.

This makes sense... until this part in the second movie.

Marty and Doc go from the PRESENT to the FUTURE. In the FUTURE, the future Biff "borrows" the Delorean and goes to the PAST, changes something, then returns to the FUTURE. Marty and Doc go from the FUTURE back to the PRESENT only to find that it's been altered. They discover that Biff went to the PAST and altered it changing the PRESENT. Marty suggested going to the FUTURE to stop the future Biff from doing it. Doc says it can't because the FUTURE has already been altered.

This is where the problem comes in. If that was really the theory, then why did the future Biff return to the FUTURE that was not altered. What really should have happened is that the future Biff would have returned to the FUTURE that was altered. Marty and Doc would have never seen their Delorean again as it has taken a different path in time.

Of course, this is just a movie. Just something interesting about the time travel thing.

I kinda liked how Butterfly Effect worked; he had memory lapses when he was younger. Then when older, he'd go go back through journals and retrace what lead up to it and at that moment of loss, he would be back in time and could do things based on what he knows when older. When he came back to the present, his brain got all the memories of the new past on top of what else had happened.

This is sort of like Slaughterhouse Five where he's unstuck in time; moving to various points of his life, except he never changes anything. To him, everything has already happened, including his death, which I think he recounts as having experienced many times. In effect, he lives forever, just only within a finite time to observers.

Planet of the Apes. Although I enjoyed the movies (old and new, I don't care much for these types where the first talking ape is an ape from the future on a planet ruled by apes traveling back in time.

Terminator is kind of like this because the Judgement Day is built on a future where Skynet is built on technology from the terminator that came back to hunt Sarah Conner in the first of the series. There's the sense that someone would have invented the technology anyway, but it would have made more sense if the date moved forward after the first one.

Time travel is so much more enjoyable if you don't try to make sense of it.

I would like to see Chrono Trigger make in film. It been involved in multi-battle anywhere in timeline. So awesome.

I kinda liked how Butterfly Effect worked; he had memory lapses when he was younger. Then when older, he'd go go back through journals and retrace what lead up to it and at that moment of loss, he would be back in time and could do things based on what he knows when older. When he came back to the present, his brain got all the memories of the new past on top of what else had happened.

This is sort of like Slaughterhouse Five where he's unstuck in time; moving to various points of his life, except he never changes anything. To him, everything has already happened, including his death, which I think he recounts as having experienced many times. In effect, he lives forever, just only within a finite time to observers.
Did you see all three Butterfly Effect movies?

It was the 3rd movie that got pretty messed up. I guess you could say it was FUBAR. ;)

Anyways, I'll have to check into Slaughterhouse Five. I think I remember reading the back of the box for this movie years ago. I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. I think I'll look it up and add it to my queue for rental. :thumb:

What about real time travelers? You know, people from the future, traveling back to our time line and posting in internet forums?

There have been a few.

tt1.jpg

http://www.zdnet.com/cern-trains-large-hadron-collider-on-primordial-plasma-7000002606/

It is this primordial plasma that researchers at CERN are seeking to understand. They do this by smashing a couple of billion lead ions into one another and watching to see what happens.

CERN inadvertently discovers the Kerr-Newman "blackhole" when they collide/smash ions. Two rotating blackholes. The gravitational pull is of equal strength for each black hole and they are trying to pull the other into itself - thereby, rotating around each other. This gravitation pull is of such magnitude it could pull our entire galaxy through the eye of a needle. The rotating blackhole cancels this action (destroying galaxies) when two (or more) are rotating around each other.

However, there was a discovery in 2018 by CERN that baffled scientists ... they discovered a new particle and did not know what it was. It was the Kerr-Newman Metric. The gravitational pull was harnessed - and tamed to create the first time travelling device (patented by General Electric) and trials began in 2028. Successful operations began in 2032.

"Tongue firmly planted in cheek"

I would like to see Chrono Trigger make in film. It been involved in multi-battle anywhere in timeline. So awesome.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I remember that being a RPG game. I wouldn't mind watching it as an anime. :)

Planet of the Apes. Although I enjoyed the movies (old and new, I don't care much for these types where the first talking ape is an ape from the future on a planet ruled by apes traveling back in time.

Terminator is kind of like this because the Judgement Day is built on a future where Skynet is built on technology from the terminator that came back to hunt Sarah Conner in the first of the series. There's the sense that someone would have invented the technology anyway, but it would have made more sense if the date moved forward after the first one.

Time travel is so much more enjoyable if you don't try to make sense of it.
You ever watch The Sarah Connor Chronicles? I've seen a few episodes, but I heard that the last episode messed up the entire timeline.

I saw the original Planet of the Apes series. It was good. I liked how they started in the future, then went to the past, then the present, then the near future.

I heard the new Rise of the Planet of the Apes is supposed to be a reboot making way for a new proper series, unlike how they did the remake of Planet of the Apes.

What about real time travelers? You know, people from the future, traveling back to our time line and posting in internet forums?

There have been a few.

tt1.jpg

CERN trains Large Hadron Collider on primordial plasma | ZDNet

CERN inadvertently discovers the Kerr-Newman "blackhole" when they collide/smash ions. Two rotating blackholes. The gravitational pull is of equal strength for each black hole and they are trying to pull the other into itself - thereby, rotating around each other. This gravitation pull is of such magnitude it could pull our entire galaxy through the eye of a needle. The rotating blackhole cancels this action (destroying galaxies) when two (or more) are rotating around each other.

However, there was a discovery in 2018 by CERN that baffled scientists ... they discovered a new particle and did not know what it was. It was the Kerr-Newman Metric. The gravitational pull was harnessed - and tamed to create the first time travelling device (patented by General Electric) and trials began in 2028. Successful operations began in 2032.

"Tongue firmly planted in cheek"
Ever heard of John Titor?

That was who I was alluding to ;)
I heard about him from a friend of mine. It got me researching what I could find on him. There were a lot of interesting things about this guy, but what happened next became a mystery.

I've seen several YouTube videos that claim to have debunked him... but all they do is talk a bunch of gibberish. Some sources say that they never found out who he was. They couldn't even find a source to his posts or online activities.

I heard about him from a friend of mine. It got me researching what I could find on him. There were a lot of interesting things about this guy, but what happened next became a mystery.

I've seen several YouTube videos that claim to have debunked him... but all they do is talk a bunch of gibberish. Some sources say that they never found out who he was. They couldn't even find a source to his posts or online activities.

The computer he claimed to have gone back in time to retrieve (his first trip to the 70's) was was an IBM 5100. One of the technicians that designed the computer verified everything John Titor stated about this computer's debugging capabilities.

A physics professor from Columbia could not debunk Titor's formulas. It still remains a mystery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

John Titor is the name used on several bulletin boards during 2000 and 2001 by a poster claiming to be a time traveler from the year 2036.[1] In these posts he made numerous predictions (a number of them vague, some quite specific[2]) about events in the near future, starting with events in 2004. However, as of 2012, these events appear not to have taken place; he described a drastically changed future in which the United States had broken into five smaller regions, the environment and infrastructure had been devastated by a nuclear attack, and most other world powers had been destroyed.

I was around and read every post John Titor made during his infamous thread. He actually claimed that in the year 2008, the first signs of an American Civil War would be seen, but not apparent. He also claimed it had to do with the presidential election, and the Mid-East unrest becoming increasingly worse (this was all pre 9/11 too). He claimed that he took a trip to "this" timeline because he wanted to see what it was like "before" the initial event. After 9/11 he was never heard from again. He claimed the actual American civil war war would break out as a result of the 2012 Presidential elections, and that we would get nuked in 2015. Therefore, the nation would get divided into 5 different territories.

Try and read his actual posts before reading the wikipedia article about him ;)

It is very interesting reading.

One last thing ... be sure not to overlook how he speaks in the past tense, as if he is recalling what he learned in school growing up. He also posted that Stephen Hawking recants his theory of blackholes ... 2 years before Hawking made it public that his theory was flawed.

Last edited:
Time Traveller's Wife is a nice one to see...ok granted it doesnt have whizz bang special effects or anything, but the concept follow as 'people who are time travellers' weird shit...
nice but sad movie , kind of give us a perspective that if you have life exactly how you want to 'be in a time' you'd be far more unhappy than thought...

Did you see all three Butterfly Effect movies?

It was the 3rd movie that got pretty messed up. I guess you could say it was FUBAR. ;)

Anyways, I'll have to check into Slaughterhouse Five. I think I remember reading the back of the box for this movie years ago. I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. I think I'll look it up and add it to my queue for rental. :thumb:

I saw part of another one, but couldn't get into it. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Kurt Vonnegut is a little out there. He did a lot of short stories about "curing" aging that are pretty good. You might want to read Slaughterhouse Five as well. "So it goes."

One comes to mine and it's probably one of the greatest films of all time, in my opinion, "Biggles: Adventures in Time." It was a 1986 gem staring Neil Dickson, Alex Hyde-White, Fiona Hutchison and Peter Cushing.

Laura

You ever watch The Sarah Connor Chronicles? I've seen a few episodes, but I heard that the last episode messed up the entire timeline.

I saw the original Planet of the Apes series. It was good. I liked how they started in the future, then went to the past, then the present, then the near future.

I heard the new Rise of the Planet of the Apes is supposed to be a reboot making way for a new proper series, unlike how they did the remake of Planet of the Apes.

I don't remember if I saw the last one or not. I saw a few during a marathon that were pretty good. They seemed to have a little trouble keeping things going.

Planet of the Apes was one of my favorites. I actually still have some bubble gum cards that I traded for stashed away. I thought it was clever during "Blue Eyes" trial that the council did "Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil." I actually liked the remake; a lot of remake movies that come out seem to just try to do the same thing and fall short. I haven't seen the second one yet, but it did look like they were going to get things more on track with the original series.

tumblr_lqdz1zNkGn1qziqpfo1_500.jpg

I remember the baseball cards that came out of "The Planet of the Apes." They made them of "Superman" too (Christopher Reeves). Funny they don't make those anymore.

Laura

The computer he claimed to have gone back in time to retrieve (his first trip to the 70's) was was an IBM 5100. One of the technicians that designed the computer verified everything John Titor stated about this computer's debugging capabilities.

A physics professor from Columbia could not debunk Titor's formulas. It still remains a mystery.

John Titor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was around and read every post John Titor made during his infamous thread. He actually claimed that in the year 2008, the first signs of an American Civil War would be seen, but not apparent. He also claimed it had to do with the presidential election, and the Mid-East unrest becoming increasingly worse (this was all pre 9/11 too). He claimed that he took a trip to "this" timeline because he wanted to see what it was like "before" the initial event. After 9/11 he was never heard from again. He claimed the actual American civil war war would break out as a result of the 2012 Presidential elections, and that we would get nuked in 2015. Therefore, the nation would get divided into 5 different territories.

Try and read his actual posts before reading the wikipedia article about him ;)

It is very interesting reading.

One last thing ... be sure not to overlook how he speaks in the past tense, as if he is recalling what he learned in school growing up. He also posted that Stephen Hawking recants his theory of blackholes ... 2 years before Hawking made it public that his theory was flawed.
That's what makes him so interesting.

Also, not everything is given a name until years later.

Just because he says it's called "World War III" doesn't mean it's going to be called "World War III" when it happens. It could be just a big war, then years later... it's documented as "World War III". :)

Time Traveller's Wife is a nice one to see...ok granted it doesnt have whizz bang special effects or anything, but the concept follow as 'people who are time travellers' weird shit...
nice but sad movie , kind of give us a perspective that if you have life exactly how you want to 'be in a time' you'd be far more unhappy than thought...
I've heard about that movie. I plan on watching that sometimes. :)

Back