Substitute for interpreter, Help!

alex22

Reaction score
So I am a substitute teacher in Houston Texas and a job was posted for a sub who knew 300-500 words in ASL. I am currently say that I'm at a 100-200 maybe since I've been out of practice. I want to work in deaf education and become a deaf Ed teacher and interpreter eventually. So when I saw that post I lit up! So I was honest with the sub coordinator and told her I've only had 3 ASL classes and I was a at least a year out of practice due to my education minor when I was in school. I was allowed to sub for 2 days with a ppcd/pre-k group of kids for 2 days and it was a great learning experience. I realized that many of the signs I knew left me because I didn't use them enough. I am hoping to get called back to sub again but in the mean time I need lots of practice. If you're deaf or hoh or a fluent signer and/or in deaf education I'd love your help. What would be the best way to go about building my vocabulary and the best way to organize my list of the vocab I need to study. I subbed April 20th and 23rd so I want to be ready when ever they ask me back. Thanks in advance! You can add me to skype, FaceTime or glide. My glide ID: ioiatmj
Hit me up anytime :)

So I am a substitute teacher in Houston Texas and a job was posted for a sub who knew 300-500 words in ASL. I am currently say that I'm at a 100-200 maybe since I've been out of practice. I want to work in deaf education and become a deaf Ed teacher and interpreter eventually. So when I saw that post I lit up!
First, I would like to say that I'm glad to see your enthusiasm--that's a good thing.

However, I must be honest. I'm a little concerned about a school system that would hire an unqualified interpreter for their deaf students.

So I was honest with the sub coordinator and told her I've only had 3 ASL classes and I was a at least a year out of practice due to my education minor when I was in school. I was allowed to sub for 2 days with a ppcd/pre-k group of kids for 2 days and it was a great learning experience.
What are ppcd kids? How old are they? What is their signing level? Were you the only adult signing with them?

I realized that many of the signs I knew left me because I didn't use them enough. I am hoping to get called back to sub again but in the mean time I need lots of practice.
You need more than practice--you need training. Have you had any interpreting training?

If you're deaf or hoh or a fluent signer and/or in deaf education I'd love your help. What would be the best way to go about building my vocabulary and the best way to organize my list of the vocab I need to study.
It's good to always want to increase your vocabulary but you first must have a strong foundation in ASL grammar and linguistics. Language fluency depends on more than a list of words.

I subbed April 20th and 23rd so I want to be ready when ever they ask me back. Thanks in advance! You can add me to skype, FaceTime or glide. My glide ID: ioiatmj
What is your current college degree in?

Sorry for replying late but I was working with pre school age 3-6 that were deaf. I'll be taking interpreting courses in the fall and explained my situation. I wasn't a literal interpreter. The woman I subbed for had to go to a high school and I simply stayed the pre-k class as a para and learned, helped and observed. They needed an extra body that's all really. The kids I worked with were learning sign language themselves so it was the perfect environment for me to learn in. Since I want to teach deaf students and interpret. There were other skilled interpreters there so me being there didn't mess anything up. No worries.

Oh I have my degree in art and minutes in education. I'm a certified art teacher and I plan on certifying in science, and deaf education later.

And Thank you so much Reba for your reply. I understand that I need a strong foundation in ASL grammar which is what I strive for as I study and sign with others. And I'm not an interpreter I was just substitute that has some background in ASL so I was able to sub for an actual interpreter. I only worked at an elementary school with 3-6yr olds. While working with them I noticed my inadequacies so I'm excited to put in more work when I can.

And Thank you so much Reba for your reply. I understand that I need a strong foundation in ASL grammar which is what I strive for as I study and sign with others. And I'm not an interpreter I was just substitute that has some background in ASL so I was able to sub for an actual interpreter. I only worked at an elementary school with 3-6yr olds. While working with them I noticed my inadequacies so I'm excited to put in more work when I can.

your not doing the kids any favours...i understand you want to help but the school needs to provide qualified terps,
These deafie kids sre being left behind...given your skill level, you do.t even know our language...your just learning.

your not doing the kids any favours...i understand you want to help but the school needs to provide qualified terps,

These deafie kids sre being left behind...given your skill level, you do.t even know our language...your just learning.

I'm a substitute! What part of that is not understood? There were several qualified interpreters there as well as the teacher, who is a certified deaf Ed teacher, like I stated previously. I was just there to help out. No one is getting left behind. I know enough of the language to help them with the core subjects as I did. If I didn't I would have never accepted the job. I was mostly there to help with behavior. They asked for a sub that knew some sign to help with preschoolers. I don't understand how asking people on here for help or guidance in this area can get taken out of context like this. Smh
So to make things clear I was a substitute for an interpreter that was a teachers aid for the classroom. I didn't teach any lessons or interpret for anyone because they KNEW my skill level. I was with PRESCHOOL children. I help with behavior and helped the students stay on task. I signed and had simple conversations with the students. So I apologize if I miswrote to make you think misguided thoughts about what I posted.

But thank you for your opinion.

Sorry for replying late but I was working with pre school age 3-6 that were deaf. I'll be taking interpreting courses in the fall and explained my situation. I wasn't a literal interpreter. The woman I subbed for had to go to a high school and I simply stayed the pre-k class as a para and learned, helped and observed. They needed an extra body that's all really. The kids I worked with were learning sign language themselves so it was the perfect environment for me to learn in. Since I want to teach deaf students and interpret. There were other skilled interpreters there so me being there didn't mess anything up. No worries.
I'm not trying to squelch your enthusiasm. I'm just very sensitive about the profession of interpreters, having been one myself for many years (now retired).

I have a particular sore spot when it comes to educational interpreters and so-called mainstream school programs. I used to sub interpret in public schools, all grade levels, while I was working as a professional community interpreter, in private practice and for an agency. However, I didn't do any of that until after I had my degree in interpreting.

One issue with public school interpreting that I hope has improved since "the old days" is the philosophy that the younger the deaf student, the less that student needed a fully-fluent, fully-trained ASL interpreter. After all, the little kids didn't have much sign vocabulary, and they wouldn't know if the novice terp was making mistakes. WRONG! It's the little ones who are developing their language skills, and they need language models! They DON'T need someone who signs incorrectly who will teach them bad language practices and wrong signs.

I realize that the brief contact that you had with the students most likely won't make or break anyone's language development. If you have any future offers for sub work, just keep in mind that those students deserve the best quality interpreters and teachers.

I hope that you do go on to further training as an interpreter if that's your calling.

If you want to know more about what's required, please go to the RID.org site.

I'm not trying to squelch your enthusiasm. I'm just very sensitive about the profession of interpreters, having been one myself for many years (now retired).

I have a particular sore spot when it comes to educational interpreters and so-called mainstream school programs. I used to sub interpret in public schools, all grade levels, while I was working as a professional community interpreter, in private practice and for an agency. However, I didn't do any of that until after I had my degree in interpreting.

One issue with public school interpreting that I hope has improved since "the old days" is the philosophy that the younger the deaf student, the less that student needed a fully-fluent, fully-trained ASL interpreter. After all, the little kids didn't have much sign vocabulary, and they wouldn't know if the novice terp was making mistakes. WRONG! It's the little ones who are developing their language skills, and they need language models! They DON'T need someone who signs incorrectly who will teach them bad language practices and wrong signs.

I realize that the brief contact that you had with the students most likely won't make or break anyone's language development. If you have any future offers for sub work, just keep in mind that those students deserve the best quality interpreters and teachers.

I hope that you do go on to further training as an interpreter if that's your calling.

If you want to know more about what's required, please go to the RID.org site.

Oh it's no problem! I understand completely. I appreciate it tremendously. I was simply there to help out with behavior and I copied whatever the teacher signed as far as what she told them to do. I was pretty much a shadow. They just needed another person there. And sadly there's a shortage on subs with interpreter training or sign language in the school district so that's probably the main reason why I was able to work those 2 days. But I must admit I found it a struggle or I felt most inadequate to work with first graders even though I was with them for only 30 minutes. So I completely agree that the students deserve the best quality. The experience gave me an idea of what to expect and the teachers and interpreters were all very helpful. Thank you again. I'll look into the website.

If you become a deaf education teacher...

So I am a substitute teacher in Houston Texas and a job was posted for a sub who knew 300-500 words in ASL. I am currently say that I'm at a 100-200 maybe since I've been out of practice. I want to work in deaf education and become a deaf Ed teacher and interpreter eventually. So when I saw that post I lit up! So I was honest with the sub coordinator and told her I've only had 3 ASL classes and I was a at least a year out of practice due to my education minor when I was in school. I was allowed to sub for 2 days with a ppcd/pre-k group of kids for 2 days and it was a great learning experience. I realized that many of the signs I knew left me because I didn't use them enough. I am hoping to get called back to sub again but in the mean time I need lots of practice. If you're deaf or hoh or a fluent signer and/or in deaf education I'd love your help. What would be the best way to go about building my vocabulary and the best way to organize my list of the vocab I need to study. I subbed April 20th and 23rd so I want to be ready when ever they ask me back. Thanks in advance! You can add me to skype, FaceTime or glide. My glide ID: ioiatmj
If you find the passion and motivation, that's great. But I have a lot of thoughts about this, and I just wrote a full post about how I think deaf education is falling apart.

Please read: http://www.munkymind.com/blog/2015/11/23/im-afraid-deaf-education-has-fallen-apart/

Back