New headlight law in effect for Mass drivers

So if you want to clean you window you need to put on your headlight too??

I see this as another way for my state to made more money. Next there will be a law saying you have to wear sunglasses if the sun is out !

In California, when it rains.. you turn on your headlight even in day time. It's for your safety and the safety of other drivers/pedestrians.

In California, when it rains.. you turn on your headlight even in day time. It's for your safety and the safety of other drivers/pedestrians.

Same here in Minnesota.

Most newer cars have automatic day lights on anyway.

Seems to me Mass. Is behind the times.
And, no, you do not need to turn your lights on to clean your windshield. Sheesh.

I can't remember that not being the rule in SC, plus that's what's taught in defensive driving. I thought that was always the law in every state. I'm surprised that it wasn't.

So if you want to clean you window you need to put on your headlight too??
The law says when wipers are needed by conditions. That doesn't mean when you give it a few seconds of windshield cleaning. It means when you have them on for rain, snow, fog, etc.

I think it may have been as long ago as the 1970's that there was push, but not law, to use headlights during the day rain or shine for added visibility. I have been doing it for many years. It is particularly easy in my currant car because (at least with low beam on; I haven't checked high) when you turn the engine off and then open the door the lights go off on their own.

.I know why this done , I do it on my own.
It just bug the hell of me that that this is now a law . I see it as one more way for the state to get their hands on your money ! A lot of newer cars have headline that come on when you start your car so those people won't have to worry . The people that can't afford newer cars will get hit with a fine if they don't know about it. I had not see this on TV or the internet.

@ Reba ,thank you! I called my insurance company and asked them b/c they send me an email about the new law , the woman did not know the answer.

To be honest, it is not highly enforced law. I have seen those breaking these kinds of law here in NY. We do have requirement using headlight when using windshield wiper for few years already.

Its likely giving insurers reason who to blame and responsible for accident, its like if you didn't turn on headlight and got into accident, it gives another driver reason to blame on you because they can't see you.

It just bug the hell of me that that this is now a law . I see it as one more way for the state to get their hands on your money ! A lot of newer cars have headline that come on when you start your car so those people won't have to worry . The people that can't afford newer cars will get hit with a fine if they don't know about it. I had not see this on TV or the internet.

Are you driver? The law in your article is actually good law for safety reason so they aren't looking to make money so you don't understand about any risk with accident.

But not everyone has a new vehicle nor could afford one and have the older vehicle to drive. Like DHB pointed out... there is plenty that doesn't use their headlights during the rain and the authorities can't be able to stop each one of them unless the driver is driving erratically that is much more safety hazard.

.I know why this done , I do it on my own.

@ Reba ,thank you! I called my insurance company and asked them b/c they send me an email about the new law , the woman did not know the answer.

Maybe people shouldn't be driving if turning headlights off and on is too hard to do.

It's easy. Turn on the lights and turn on the wipers.

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee has nothing automatic on it but it's not too hard to turn on the lights and wipers, and it's a lot safer to drive with them on.

Maybe people shouldn't be driving if turning headlights off and on is too hard to do.

It's easy. Turn on the lights and turn on the wipers.

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee has nothing automatic on it but it's not too hard to turn on the lights and wipers, and it's a lot safer to drive with them on.

I am not saying that it too hard to turn headlight on, I am saying so far I have not heard a lot about this new law that start April 7 . I wonder how many people don't know about it , and I bet some drivers may not remeber to turn their headlights one when they put on their wipers . It'll be interesting to see how many drivers will be doing this after April 7. At least I am in the habit of doing this already .

My car has daytime running lights (they're okay except that once in a while I get somebody flashing their lights at me in the day time presumably to say "HEY you have your lights on!" duh).

I think some people don't bother because they figure well it's still light out/day time even though it's raining so don't need the headlights. I've seen many people without their headlights on in the rains.. force of habit maybe to just turn on the wipers and not the lights.

What would actually be cool is if there is a way to connect headlights to the wipers so when they are turned on the lights are turned on as well.

I too thought just about every state already had that law. I remember being taught to turn them on during rain/fog (can't remember for snow) back more than 30 years ago.

I am not saying that it too hard to turn headlight on, I am saying so far I have not heard a lot about this new law that start April 7 . I wonder how many people don't know about it , and I bet some drivers may not remeber to turn their headlights one when they put on their wipers . It'll be interesting to see how many drivers will be doing this after April 7. At least I am in the habit of doing this already .
I was referring to the "old" vs. "new" vehicle light systems.

To be honest, I didn't know that it required a law for people to use common sense for safe driving. I thought it was always taught that when it was dark, rainy, snowy, or foggy, use your lights so you can see and be seen by other drivers.

I see cars all the time driving at night without lights--it's crazy! I don't know how they see where they're going.

When it pours rain, it's also hard to see other cars if they don't turn on their lights but a lot of them don't.

Wait.....it rains in California????:giggle:

Wait.....it rains in California????:giggle:

My daughter & her bf are flying out this Thursday to San Jose to visit my other daughter and she told me yesterday that she's mad because it's supposed to rain on Monday (they fly back Monday night).

I told her that just because they're calling for rain doesn't mean it will rain. I based this on your weather reports here. :lol:

But not everyone has a new vehicle nor could afford one and have the older vehicle to drive. Like DHB pointed out... there is plenty that doesn't use their headlights during the rain and the authorities can't be able to stop each one of them unless the driver is driving erratically that is much more safety hazard.

I posted this on # 9
I know why this done , I do it on my own.

People that can't afford a new car may not be able to afford internet or buying newspapers and not be informed about this new law. Yeah I have seen people break a traffic law right in front of a police and they did nothing.
The police was not responding to anything they just were too lazy to get out
of their car.

I posted this on # 9
I know why this done , I do it on my own.

People that can't afford a new car may not be able to afford internet or buying newspapers and not be informed about this new law. Yeah I have seen people break a traffic law right in front of a police and they did nothing.
The police was not responding to anything they just were too lazy to get out
of their car.
People who can't afford a new car can still use common sense and turn their lights on when it rains, snows, fogs, or the sun sets. It doesn't cost anything, and it makes the roads a lot safer for everyone.

I think it's better to get hit with a fine than to be hit with another vehicle because the other driver couldn't see me.

Back