Students, Your questions answered here.

Slang word roots

Hello everyone. I'm researching the origins of ASL "slang" and idiom terms. For example TRAIN-GONE and TRUE-BUISSNESS. I'm looking for more then the definition but the story behind the sign. One particular slang was "PEA-BRAIN" in research it was briefly mentioned the parameters of the sign are similar to "GOVERMENT", does anyone know if there is a story or history between the two signs? Or can anyone think of a different "slang" with a history to it.
Thank You for your time !

I am not a student, and learning sign on my own. But I feel disappointed in some of the people being rude to students asking questions. Obviously this forum is about questions, which makes it seem like a safe place to ask a perfectly okay question. I understand not doing their homework but their simply asking to talk to someone who is in the Deaf Community. Were I live I don't have deaf clubs to go to, Deaf culture books in our library's, and no school that even provides ASL. I joined this forum to read the threads and see what topics seem live in your community but I don't even want to ask questions because every one attacks you on here for asking one. If any of us were learning spanish and needed to learn about their culture we would do the same thing. I am torn.

I am not a student, and learning sign on my own. But I feel disappointed in some of the people being rude to students asking questions. Obviously this forum is about questions, which makes it seem like a safe place to ask a perfectly okay question. I understand not doing their homework but their simply asking to talk to someone who is in the Deaf Community. Were I live I don't have deaf clubs to go to, Deaf culture books in our library's, and no school that even provides ASL. I joined this forum to read the threads and see what topics seem live in your community but I don't even want to ask questions because every one attacks you on here for asking one. If any of us were learning spanish and needed to learn about their culture we would do the same thing. I am torn.

You are right, but I think they are just tired of answering the same questions over and over. Imagine if someone asked you today "how is it like to be deaf?" and tomorrow "Hey la, so how do you do with being deaf?!".
Feel free to ask smart questions and I guess they'll be glad to answer, at least I will! :)

Wait do we (I'm hearing) actually ask if "we can marry you?" To those who think people of the Deaf Community are a different species, no. They are human. Of course you can marry anyone you love xD I didn't know people thought you couldn't...

*looks at links* Huh, I thought that post was talking about people coming here just to find a deaf significant other! (Which, IIRC, HAS happened here.)

(Note of clarity: I am also hearing.

Hello AD! I'm a hearing student (hence the name) currently studying ASL and Deaf culture. I've been perusing AD and found some really incredible information, as well as some really incredible people. No, I don't have a survey-esque list of questions for you to fill out in triplicate and mail back to me.

I do have a question however. I've been reading around, and I'm sure the answer is already out there, but I feel like I'm missing the background necessary to understand. What are your personal feelings about Cochlear implants or other "cures"? Is there a general negative or positive consensus within the Deaf community? Is it different for people who were born Deaf than for people who lost their hearing later in life?

Sorry, I realize that I'm getting dangerously close to the "interview" type questionnaire I promised to avoid. If I've offended anyone, or if I'm asking too much, I apologize. I just want to learn more about Deaf culture, and I know this is a sensitive subject, which is why I want to know more about it.

Thank you for your time and patience. Love!

Unlike most Late Deafened Adults I am actually against CI's there is nothing wrong with being Deaf or HOH. Many treat CI's as a simple fix but in reality it is not a cure, however I will say from my studying on the subject that it tends to work better for those who are LD Adults. They know what everything is supposed to sound like so they can tune CI's finer to get them "close" to normal in their ability to hear.

I think as for a consensus on the Deaf Community is negative I mean after all it destroys the culture trying to "cure" something that doesn't need to be cured.

I think it is definately different for LDs vs Born Deaf mostly because LD's generally don't make the effort to join the Deaf Community. Typical Deafness from Loud Music or Age doesn't onset till around your 50's after you are well indoctrinated in the hearing world. So when your doctor offers you CI's to be able to get back to the hearing world your more likely to take it. However Younger Adults (Such as myself) have the rest of our lives. We are lucky enough to have the option to CHOOSE to have CI's or Not. A good friend of mine (Who was under 18) at the time got CI's because his parents forced him to get it. (Of course now he never wears them).

As for Born Deaf as Adults most are against it especially if they are active in the Deaf Community. However a lot of Born Deaf don't get the chance to choose being born to hearing parents they want their kids to be exactly the same as them and "normal" *BAH* they take away their choice so they don't know what they missed out on.

At Age 20 I started with minor hearing loss now at Age 21 I am a LD and I elected to learn ASL and keep learning it till I get it down fluently. As for my role in the hearing world I get by just fine without vocalization and hearing. I feel like I was born a Deafie in a hearing body luckily for me I became a LD at 21 I couldn't stand noises most of my life (Hypersensitivity to Noises) I had sharp as a tack hearing to the point were it actually was painful to hear loud noises. Well it balanced out now :D

May I ask a few questions here? I'm a hearing student, but also interested in become more involved with the deaf community here in Wichita.

Is there a deaf club in you community? Do you go?

What would you like to see more of in your city?

Do you have any advice or words of wisdom for hearing people when working with or getting involved with the deaf community?

I hope these questions aren't poorly placed on the board. To be honest, I'm apprehensive about attending a deaf community event for fear of not being welcome. I'd love to get some feedback here. Wichita is not a large ASL community and I'm afraid I won't be welcomed. If these questions have been answered elsewhere, my apologies in advance.

HearingandStudying, If you look around and at past threads you can find many answers. Hearing people come here all the time and ask the same things.

Good luck with your studies.

I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me?

Hello!
I'm a college student currently taking Deaf Studies and I'm thinking about pursuing a career in Interpreting, but I'm not sure yet.
I have to write a paper on an interview with a Deaf person, so I've prepared 10 questions I was hoping anyone could answer. If you could leave your name and/age, that would be great!
Your help is greatly appreciated! I hope you all have a wonderful day/night!

1) How do you feel about cochlear implants?
2) Were you/are you mainstreamed or are you attending a school for the Deaf?
3) What is something you think or wish all hearing people knew?
4) Were you born Deaf? If not, what caused your hearing loss?
5) What is your opinion on Deaf peddlers?
6) Have you ever been discriminated against or mistreated because you're Deaf? If so, please describe if it's not too personal and you don't mind.
7) How do you feel about hearing people trying to learn and use Sign Language?
8) How could the hearing world be more accommodating?
9) Do your friends and/or family know Sign Language?
10) How do you feel about oral vs. manual education?

Hello!
I'm a college student currently taking Deaf Studies and I'm thinking about pursuing a career in Interpreting, but I'm not sure yet.
I have to write a paper on an interview with a Deaf person, so I've prepared 10 questions I was hoping anyone could answer. If you could leave your name and/age, that would be great!
Your help is greatly appreciated! I hope you all have a wonderful day/night!

1) How do you feel about cochlear implants?
2) Were you/are you mainstreamed or are you attending a school for the Deaf?
3) What is something you think or wish all hearing people knew?
4) Were you born Deaf? If not, what caused your hearing loss?
5) What is your opinion on Deaf peddlers?
6) Have you ever been discriminated against or mistreated because you're Deaf? If so, please describe if it's not too personal and you don't mind.
7) How do you feel about hearing people trying to learn and use Sign Language?
8) How could the hearing world be more accommodating?
9) Do your friends and/or family know Sign Language?
10) How do you feel about oral vs. manual education?

That survey has been answered multiple times here. Just look at old threads.

And I believe your teacher meant you to do a live interview with a real person in your community.

That survey has been answered multiple times here. Just look at old threads.

And I believe your teacher meant you to do a live interview with a real person in your community.
X2. If I was the professor, I would make internet forums an invalid source for the interview. Require a video of the deaf person at least stating the name of the person doing the interview and class name etc to validate the legitimacy of the assignment. I think AD should feature students to post up the original assignment in word/pdf/jpeg etc.

Hello!
I am a student researching Black American Sign Language and its usage in the Black Deaf community. I was hoping a BASL user would kind enough to answer some questions for me.
• Are there situations where you use Black Sign Language and situations where you don’t?
• Do you feel more comfortable using Black Sign Language or standard ASL?
• What are some differences you’ve noticed linguistically between Black Signing and White signing? What do you think causes those differences?
• Do you find yourself signing differently when you’re signing to someone who is not Black?
• Have you noticed regional differences within Black Sign Language?
• When did you first notice a difference between Black signing and White signing? What made you notice?
• Can you give me some examples of signs used exclusively in the Black Deaf community?
• How important do you thing Black signing is to the Black Deaf Community?
• Do any of your Non-Black friends/acquaintances ever use Black Signs?
• Would you like to see more research done on the subject of Black Signing? Why?
PS- I did try to go back and look for threads that already addressed these questions but I didn't find any. I apologize if these have already been answered and I just didn't see them.
Thank you!

There's such as thing as 'Black Sign Language'?

Interesting, I've never heard of that before. I'm guessing it's a dialect?

I'm curious to hear the answers of the above student's questions :mrgreen:

I've never heard of Black Sign Language either, and I've been signing for 45 years.

I've never heard of Black Sign Language either, and I've been signing for 45 years.

I just googled this. Apparently such a thing exists, but seems as it formed during the days of segregation, so some of this may be outdated. I am very active in my Deaf community, and there are plenty of African Americans here, yet I've never ever noticed a difference in how they communicate with me, a white person. Maybe it's in more predominantly African American neighborhoods. Anyways I guess that's all I can contribute on this subject.

I think Black sign was more common in the south when there were segregated deaf schools.

Hi Guys!
Thank you all so much for your input so far. From my research I've gathered that you all are absolutely correct- BASL got its start because of segregation, but I believe it is still in use within the Black Deaf community today. If you all have any other insights, please don't hesitate to let me know!
Thank you!

Hello all- awesome thread you have started!!!

Growing up I knew a handful of deaf/hh individuals.. I commicated by text or with some signs. I never followed through with learning ASL fully back then because they didn't want anything to do with me. I was hearing and not wanted. I tried soooo hard to be apart of the community since I was dating a familymember (hearing sibling) within the community for years.

Now, as an adult I still see this..

I would like to know why.. I get the history and hearing ignorance... But other than that why?

This question is a personal one- not as a student.

Back