sign doesn't exist from book or influence...

illustrator

Reaction score
To creative some sign language which aren't familiar from the book or any influence. For example, my little sister mention me about Starbuck Coffee. She use sign as "star" with "b" instead "d". I thought it would be easy to use two sign than rather use three.

For me, I creative some sign language for some cities and some odd that aren't exist. However, there are mistake to creative when you are make out a communication with someone and they find really odd. Therefore, you had to explain bit as introduce new and hopefully to make influence more toward nationwide.

Well?

yeah sound like it'' home made signs. my bro has many homemade sign languages some of them i dont get it until mom tells me, and i learn something new from my bro. it's interesting :)

Funny, here we made up sign for Starbuck by just fingerspelling "S B" then later on my best friend and I went to California to visit. We found a sign there, it is like "8" on both hands, but flick the fingers against each other. Hard to explain by words. So we brought the sign back to NJ and everyone liked it. So it stuck on.

Originally posted by kuifje75
Funny, here we made up sign for Starbuck by just fingerspelling "S B" then later on my best friend and I went to California to visit. We found a sign there, it is like "8" on both hands, but flick the fingers against each other. Hard to explain by words. So we brought the sign back to NJ and everyone liked it. So it stuck on.

how interest... original, I start with straight sign (SEE) - "star" b-u-c-k "coffee"

Originally posted by LeviathanC
I think that it's called "home signs"...not sure. :dunno:
Yes, it is. The only way it could be widely used is if it becomes a long-term fad. For instance, I've seen 20 different home-signs for Walmart. Yet, 2 of them are the most used... because more people liked the signs and spread the usage everywhere. Sometimes, seeing it on TV can have an effect on how the word is signed.

I wonder which sign do you use for Walmart?
I use "cheap" with W.
I've seen "W" as if you signed "woman" but I prefer the one above.

I use "cheap" with W.

My bro invent the "Wal-Mart" as "w" as "water" then move to "s" like scoff while tap your chest. heh

Cool.... Most ppl here in NJ use "W-Cheap" sign which makes sense to me because it is a cheapo store. LOL

Why did your bro make up that sign, I'm curious to know?

Originally posted by illustrator
My bro invent the "Wal-Mart" as "w" as "water" then move to "s" like scoff while tap your chest. heh
nooo your bro didnt invent that sign. i've seen it! its from the wal-mart commerical on tv.

I use "cheap" with W.

too many Deafies debated which is right way to sign walmart (water-scoff or w-cheap), I ended the bickering with a compromise:

with a "w", sign "water-cheap"

Originally posted by Deaf258
too many Deafies debated which is right way to sign walmart (water-scoff or w-cheap), I ended the bickering with a compromise:

LOL good one...
Still, I think I would sign W-cheapo though. It just makes much more sense to me, 'cos why do ppl go to Walmart, 'cos all the prices and stuff there are cheapo!

Originally posted by Deaf258

for me - water-scoff

LOL good one...
Still, I think I would sign W-cheapo though. It just makes much more sense to me, 'cos why do ppl go to Walmart, 'cos all the prices and stuff there are cheapo!

Originally posted by *~Rayden Wins~*
for me - water-scoff

I rest my case. Let the bickering stop. ;)

I use "W" cheap. But I have seen some people sign Walmart this way: "W" from shoulder then "M" to the wrist. Seen that sign before?

Originally posted by LeviathanC
I think that it's called "home signs"...not sure. :dunno:

Yeah, that's "homesigns." It's better to find out from NAD to see if there's a sign for specific word like these names. I know it's hard to find them. :dunno:

I guess these signs like Walmart are best signed according to the area you are in. If you are a visitor from out of town visiting your friend... spell it out to your friend when asking where Walmart is. Let your friend reply using the sign and then you can use that from there in that hometown. When you're back home, use the original that you've already been using here.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
I guess these signs like Walmart are best signed according to the area you are in. If you are a visitor from out of town visiting your friend... spell it out to your friend when asking where Walmart is. Let your friend reply using the sign and then you can use that from there in that hometown. When you're back home, use the original that you've already been using here.

ha ha, I have been done that before to my friend at my hometown. I had to use change my "mode sign" so they will understand what I am saying. :lol: annoying, isn't it? :|

Back