Checking restaurant safety/sanitation ratings

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
In South Carolina, restaurants must post their inspection ratings on the front door or window for everyone to see. We also have a website we can use to find out the ratings of restaurants.

Food Safety/Sanitation Reports

Does your state do it this way?

The data base includes school cafeterias and mobile food eateries.

The restaurants in my city do have that and when I worked a bakery for a short time I could not believe the health inspector told the owners they coming to check out her place . I thought the health inspector made surprise visits to see how clean the business is being run. The owner had everyone washing the walls , floor etc . So health inspector never got to see
if there was any health violations b/c he gave the owners a notice . I was :shock: about this .

The restaurants in my city do have that and when I worked a bakery for a short time I could not believe the health inspector told the owners they coming to check out her place . I thought the health inspector made surprise visits to see how clean the business is being run. The owner had everyone washing the walls , floor etc . So health inspector never got to see
if there was any health violations b/c he gave the owners a notice . I was :shock: about this .
Around here they do both kinds of inspections, scheduled and surprise.

It goes for any inspection, really. And if a complaint is filed, the person filing it can't tell that business they did so, or they might have an unfair edge. Same for here where I live-- submitted a formal complaint for pest control, and I can't tell them I did so (Sorry Reba, for going off-topic).

It goes for any inspection, really. And if a complaint is filed, the person filing it can't tell that business they did so, or they might have an unfair edge. Same for here where I live-- submitted a formal complaint for pest control, and I can't tell them I did so (Sorry Reba, for going off-topic).
Why can't you tell them? I can understand why you might not want to confront the business with a complaint but I never heard of not being allowed to.

Why can't you tell them? I can understand why you might not want to confront the business with a complaint but I never heard of not being allowed to.

Not allowed to? I think I worded that badly. I meant to say that telling a business or apartment building that you filed a formal complaint WITH proof included might give them an edge on keeping ahead of inspections. That, and too much corruption here.

Back