International Student

ArthurDayne

Reaction score
Hello everyone i'm Burak from Turkey and i have hard hearing deafness,i hear voices but don't understand without reading lip.Since education and government is bad in Turkey,i decided to live and educate in USA.I graduated from high school last year and i have been searching for best schools fit for my major and deafness.I find CSUN,RIT and Galladuet.I'll be an actor so which one should i go?Since it's to o costly and far from Turkey,i can't come to see colleges.

Also,are there any scholarship or discounts for international deaf people?

Thank you,with greetings and warmest wishes from Turkey.

http://www.gallaudet.edu/welcome_international_visitors.html

http://www.gallaudet.edu/rsia/world_deaf_information_resource/deaf_orgs/local_orgs/turkey.html

http://www.gallaudet.edu/rsia/international_student_services_(immigration).html

Hello everyone i'm Burak from Turkey and i have hard hearing deafness,i hear voices but don't understand without reading lip.Since education and government is bad in Turkey,i decided to live and educate in USA.I graduated from high school last year and i have been searching for best schools fit for my major and deafness.I find CSUN,RIT and Galladuet.I'll be an actor so which one should i go?Since it's to o costly and far from Turkey,i can't come to see colleges.

Also,are there any scholarship or discounts for international deaf people?

Thank you,with greetings and warmest wishes from Turkey.

Take a look at Northern Illinois University. It's not a school for the deaf but it has really fantastic services, including entire dorms set up just for the deaf. They have international students who come simply because of the accommodations. They have a a college of theatre and dance within the university. http://www.niu.edu/theatre/

Also, be patient when waiting for replies. We're only human.

Thanks for replies,but i dont think i can improve in acting because i'm deaf and it would be hard to find a job in Hollywood and against hearing talented actors.I must find something else.

Hey guys i decided to study in a community college.It says community college wants 7.000 $ per day,does it include house,meal etc?Or it only includes education cost?And is there any chance to getting tutition for a hard of hearing person?Or does USA or schools give scholarship for deaf persons?I really need your help.

Hey guys i decided to study in a community college.It says community college wants 7.000 $ per day,does it include house,meal etc?Or it only includes education cost?And is there any chance to getting tutition for a hard of hearing person?Or does USA or schools give scholarship for deaf persons?I really need your help.

I would hope you mean seven thousand dollars per year? or seven dollars per day?

I am sure there are scholarships for deaf students. I haven't looked into them, because I was basically told by the counselor at my local community college that, being late deafened, I had no chance of getting any scholarships over Deaf applicants.

My community college is very small, and only costs $2,800 - $3,600 a year, so I can't imagine a bigger one costing more than $8,000- $10,000 a year. Of course I live in a rural area, so I have NO idea on that kind of stuff.

I should also add that I live in Michigan, so some place like NY or California is probably more expensive as well.

Sorry guys i wrote it wrong.7 thousand dollars per year,does it include house,meal etc?Or it only includes study expenses?Since Universites are too costly,i decided to study in community college in California.Because i want to be an actor or director.I'll come from Turkey so i'm an international student,can you guys tell me if there is any chance to get tutition for my deafness?Or scholarship,doesn't matter because dollar is x2,5 costs my country's money.I mean i want want buy something priced as 1 dollar,i must buy 2,5 turkish lira.Since it's too costly,i really need tutition or scholarship.

What community college is it? Colleges usually have a list of the price breakdown: how much tuition costs, how much room and board costs if the college has dorms and/or meal plans, any extra fees, etc. If you say what college you decided, people might be able to help easier.

I will say that my college (a state college, not a community one) has a similar cost-per-year for the tuition to that, but room and board is extra here.

Well, regardless of what you choose to do, I give you a lot of credit for taking the initiative to seek higher education. I can barely motivate myself to go to a college 45 minutes away from my home, let alone in another country. :h5:

Thanks for replies,but i dont think i can improve in acting because i'm deaf and it would be hard to find a job in Hollywood and against hearing talented actors.I must find something else.

There is one in California. Deaf West Theatre Company is a North Hollywood, California-based cultural institution serving as a model for deaf theatre worldwide. Founded in 1991, by Ed Waterstreet, it is noted for being the first professional resident Sign Language Theatre in the western half of the United States. Deaf West Theatre productions, actors and directors have won more than 80 theatre awards for artistic merit.

You can work as an actor if you have college degree in acting. It is up to you.

Then there is another Deaf theater in Connecticut, USA.

The National Theatre of the Deaf (NTD) is the oldest theatre company in the United States that has continually gone on tours and produced original works. The company has visited each of the 50 states in close to 80 national tours, as well as many countries in over 30 international tours. It was founded in 1967 after psychologist Dr. Edna Simon Levine, set designer David Hays, and Broadway's director Arthur Penn and actress Anne Bancroft of The Miracle Worker began planning and fundraising in the 1950s. In 1968, the Little Theatre of the Deaf was founded to produce shows for a younger-aged audience. The Little Theatre of the Deaf is also still producing and touring today. Productions combine the use of American Sign Language with the spoken word, in accordance with the theatre's mission statement to educate the general public about Deaf art and link Deaf and hearing communities. In 1994, the National and Worldwide Deaf Theatre Conference had its first meeting, in which global Deaf playwrights and actors gathered to hold discussions, critiques, and celebrations of Deaf theatre. The precedence and support of the National Theatre of the Deaf is considered instrumental in the founding and collaboration of a Deaf theatre community worldwide. The National Theatre of the Deaf has won several awards, including the Tony Award for Theatrical Excellence. Ex-NTD actress Phyllis Frelich won the 1980 Best Actress Tony Award for Children of a Lesser God produced by The Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles. Linda Bove, a regular on the television series Sesame Street, also acted with NTD. Other famous actors who have worked with NTD include NTD co-founder Bernard Bragg, Colleen Dewhurst, Sir Michael Redgrave, Chita Rivera, Jason Robards and Meryl Streep.[3] Today, the Theatre is located on the campus of the American School of the Deaf in West Hartford, Connecticut. The theatre still goes on tour, produces and adapts stage works, and is expanding into a few teleplay features on public television to continue to create new opportunities and audiences for Deaf theater.

I don't know of any other Deaf theatres in USA and Not sure of Canada. That is all I know of those two theatres. You can go to Gallaudet to learn how to become Deaf actor. If you don't want to be in the Deaf theatre but would like to be involve in the hearing theatre, then that would be hard for you if you are deaf or hard of hearing. I hope you can accomplish your achievement on becoming an actor if you are really good at it. Good luck. :)

Sorry guys i wrote it wrong.7 thousand dollars per year,does it include house,meal etc?Or it only includes study expenses?Since Universites are too costly,i decided to study in community college in California.Because i want to be an actor or director.I'll come from Turkey so i'm an international student,can you guys tell me if there is any chance to get tutition for my deafness?Or scholarship,doesn't matter because dollar is x2,5 costs my country's money.I mean i want want buy something priced as 1 dollar,i must buy 2,5 turkish lira.Since it's too costly,i really need tutition or scholarship.

All of these questions about room/board (if they have it) should be the college websites. Search for scholarships relates to deafness (with medical documentation) and for international students.

They're around out there.

Hey guys,i want to study directoring.I'll come from Turkey and i need tutition or discount.And,which universities actually gives support for deaf people?I only know CSUN,Galladuet,RIT etc and these universities are really expensive.

Back