Dealing With Idiots Who Ask for Rude Signs

Oh good grief.

:roll:

If someone wants to learn only dirty signs, that tells me a lot about the person. You can bet they'd be outta luck from me as well, and with some eye-rolling thrown in for good measure.

That used to happen back in high school, but thank god I hang out with relatively normal adults now. My friends have asked me whats the sign for *insert bad word here*, but they are my friends and they know several other signs. I can't remember the last time I've been asked by a stranger.

I used to ask my brother to teach me the bad words in ASL so I could teach them to my friends in high school. I thought I was so cool back then. The dumb things I did while as a teenager. :lol:

I also have no problem whatsoever teachings dirty words to people who are legitimately interested in learning the language, and just want to be able to use it IN CONTEXT but if that's all they want to know, I'm like ."No. You have to earn the right to these words." What also pisses me off is when people walk up to me and say, "I know sign language," and use the middle finger. It's so rude and obnoxious. It makes me want to go :rl: on their faces. :laugh2:

I'm giving them each hand-drawn pictures of the Manual Alphabet, and teaching them to say "How do you sign..." and demanding that they memorize and perfect both if they want to know anything from them. They must sign the phrase and fingerspell the desired word without speech or any flaws. If I spot even one, I won't tell them, and they only get three chances before I simply say, "No. Three strikes you're out. Try again tomorrow. :D"

Actually, I think that's a great way to accomplish a couple of things.
1) Help them appreciate your language (to a degree, I mean there's only so much you can expect from 'dip-shits' like them)
2)Help them realize that they really are abusing your language. (y'never know.)
I knew a guy who kept asking another guy in my spanish class how to say curse words and other insults in spanish, and he ended up actually wanting to learn useful conversational spanish by the end of the term.
I think you're doin a great job of teaching old dogs new tricks by makin 'em jump through hoops.

Actually, I think that's a great way to accomplish a couple of things.
1) Help them appreciate your language (to a degree, I mean there's only so much you can expect from 'dip-shits' like them)
2)Help them realize that they really are abusing your language. (y'never know.)
I knew a guy who kept asking another guy in my spanish class how to say curse words and other insults in spanish, and he ended up actually wanting to learn useful conversational spanish by the end of the term.
I think you're doin a great job of teaching old dogs new tricks by makin 'em jump through hoops.

Well, if they do actually take the time to learn the basics in order to learn anything from me, that means they have no time on their hands, or they really want to learn sign language, but kind of knowing them, it's just a very strategic way to say "Screw you." :lol: (These emotes are fantastic! :laugh2:)

I have posted this in another thread, but the story is on topic...

Once I had a very mean coworker. He was a cute gay guy. He thought it was hilarious to make fun of me by mouthing nonsense words, whistling loudly into my ha, etc. Get it? He was terrible! Well, I took it. He would often ask how to sign such-and-such and I would show him. Wellllllll, as it so happened... one fateful day he asked me how to sign "pizza".. do any of you know what I taught him??? Yep - his first full sentence..."I like to eat (the dirty word starts with a p and sort of looks like pizza) "

I am a very odd old lady eh?

Once I had a very mean coworker. He was a cute gay guy. He thought it was hilarious to make fun of me by mouthing nonsense words, whistling loudly into my ha, etc. Get it? He was terrible! Well, I took it. He would often ask how to sign such-and-such and I would show him. Wellllllll, as it so happened... one fateful day he asked me how to sign "pizza".. do any of you know what I taught him??? Yep - his first full sentence..."I like to eat (the dirty word starts with a p and sort of looks like pizza) "

Yeah, we hearing people can be very ignorant and mean about it. :giggle:

By the way, are there multiple signs for the "dirty word" that you mentioned. I've seen the initialized sign on the nose (including the one with the "D") as well as the two-handed version that looks a lot like an erection would look like(pardon me, but I didn't know how else to describe it). I was wondering if all of them were correct or if the initialized version was more like Signed English. This question is directed towards anyone who answers, not just you. :giggle:

Sorry about the awkwardness, I was just extremely curious. :Oops:

Yeah, we hearing people can be very ignorant and mean about it. :giggle:

By the way, are there multiple signs for the "dirty word" that you mentioned. I've seen the initialized sign on the nose (including the one with the "D") as well as the two-handed version that looks a lot like an erection would look like(pardon me, but I didn't know how else to describe it). I was wondering if all of them were correct or if the initialized version was more like Signed English. This question is directed towards anyone who answers, not just you. :giggle:

Sorry about the awkwardness, I was just extremely curious. :Oops:

You have the wrong idea on what she showed him.

I've said before that I'm not fluent, and I don't know a lot of the dirty words; just the "mainstream" ones." :laugh2:

As a hearie learning Auslan, I've had ppl ask me all the dirty/swear words too!!

Ummm sorry but I don't think my lecturer is there to teach us cuss words!!!

Tell them you will show them how to sign their name first; it is a "V" palm facing out, on their forehead.

What is the sign that you implied, by chance? I'm really curious now. :hmm:

It starts with a "v." (I know the word, but I'm not one for using/writing them. I'm a prude. :P)

The "pizza" sign is a part of the female anatomy.

I teach high school Spanish, and those are the words most of my kids want to know. I think it is immature, and kind of funny, but probably also seems easy to learn. I mean, swear words are meant to be said quickly in moments of frustration, so there is generally not a long involved phrase. The one single word for the "f bomb" is easier to say/remember than "what is your name?"

Back