My puppy kept running out thru front door!

Peachy Lady

Reaction score
My 8 months old puppy runs sooo fast that as soon as anyone starts to open front door, Cody dashed right thru the door and would run past houses. One time my husband found him a few blocks away. Cody is black dashound/rat terrier mix so his hind legs are very strong and can ran fast.

Has anyone successfully trained their puppies not to run thru the door opening? How do you "teach" the puppy not to do that? Please advice because I'm concerned that one day when my Cody runs out again, the car might hit him. :Ohno: The reason why he kept running out is because he's sooo friendly and really want to meet new people, whoever they are who happens to be on the street or at someone's yard. Cody has leash with tag on so if someone finds him, he or she would be calling my brother's phone number that's on the tag plus the vet's clinic. smile

first thing you need to do is teach him to stay or when you have company coming over keep him one place this way he won't run, since he's a fast dog, i suggest you put him on the leash and train him not to run out the door
this way once you say NO Stay with firm voice he will have to listen
ofc reward him once he understands what he can't do he will stay in the house until you tell him he can go outside. and do you have a backyard? fenced in one? if you have that great, have him run out side in the back so he can wear off his engery thats what he's doing, altho friendly or not... :)

good luck! BTW when you reward him wean him off and reward him with a pat on the head or backside so he will know he did the right thing.

Same like my mom's dog Kali and Ricky but Ricky is passed away. When I or someone came for visit at my mom's home that 2 dogs was came up to the door but I just open easy and make sure dont let the dogs out that I just put my hand to dogs' face to said go go shoo :lol: but now Kali still come up to the door so have to make sure dont let the dog out. Ricky not at home anymore he is passed away :( miss him.

maybe you can let anyone know to make sure dont let your puppy out of the door when visit at your home??

Aww! I went through same thing ... with Rocky... its long road..

Now Rocky passed some tests.. He doesnt run out the door anymore till I said "come" or "stay"

It's easy but it took me 3 weeks and almost 1 month.. but 3 months later, he gave up and wait for one of us say.. come .. but he knows stay..

put leash on.. put leash on floor, you put your foot on the loop, so you have arms free.. to use signs and hold treat bag on one hand and treat on other hand for stay...
have treat in your hand.. (chopped up lunch meat or anything left over meat or freezer.. cook it up.. I bought summer sausage- cheaper than dog treat sausage, I chopped into small pieces -cubes)..

say..Stay... (make sure he looks at you).. give him treat .. be sure he stays, if he move.. make him sit and say.. stay.. if he did.. give him treat..
then..
Open the door.. wide.. (your foot still stay on leash).. say stay.. give him treat.. then.. guide him out the door..say.. come.. give him treat..
then go back to door.. do over again, for 6 times.. I do that 3 times a day.. or everytime he wants go outside for his business..

if he go wild and want to escape.. work with him.. sit and stay..

I know its hard.. its like rein the horse lol

feel free to pm me if you want more details.

Thanks for advices, everyone. All advices are different from each person! I would like to use some of your advices to train Cody on my own, but if it doesn't work, I will try scat mat, but hope I won't have to.

i would like to try those training on my cat, but since cats don;t train well like dogs, and my cat is stubborn! He keeps running outside the back, and then me and my dad have to chase him around to get him back in. I am thinking of training my dog to run after him and catch him, but not as dinner. heh..

sneaky cat... but smart too..

but anyway good luck with ur training for ur dog..

darkangel8603 said:
i would like to try those training on my cat, but since cats don;t train well like dogs, and my cat is stubborn! He keeps running outside the back, and then me and my dad have to chase him around to get him back in. I am thinking of training my dog to run after him and catch him, but not as dinner. heh..

sneaky cat... but smart too..

but anyway good luck with ur training for ur dog..

HA! same as my mom's cat is so stubborn love escape out of the door and gone outside as we tried to get the cat back inside so my mom let her cat outside till come back home in few time that time I live with my mom before but now I live on my own since i was 19. Still watch out for her cat dont let my mom's cat go outside and still old which is 17 yrs old. Now her cat always mostly rest in everywhere in their home.

Gee, I dont know but we trained our dog when he was a puppy by
saying "stay" along with his training chain collar by tugging it while
saying that word until he understood it..he is very smart, that he learned
that very quickly. So now, everytime, if one of us have to outside or if
some people comes over, we just say "stay", he will do that..but ONLY
if they are strangers, we will put him outside or in his cage cuz he dont
really like strangers at first, heh. Once he gets to KNOW the new people,
he will be friendly to them.
You could try put a training collar on your puppy and see if that will work
on your puppy and see..i think it varies on each dog..really...there are many
different ways of training puppies and one of them will do the trick so you
might have to try several until one of them work for you, ok? maybe there are
books at the Pet shops like PetsMart or PetCo? Good Luck, PeachyLady..I know it is frustrating.

Defee, yeah it's been frustrating. Will try your advices. I appreciate your advices. Cody is a wonderful puppy except for running thru door and occassionally pooped in the crate. arrggghhh! lol He's just a puppy so know he will do just fine eventually with plenty of trainings each day. He's learning.

Instead of going to the door first, why don't you go to the dog first? That way, you can hold on when opening the door. :)

Back