Is the Poverty Rate Higher For Deaf People Than General Population?

Doug5

Reaction score
If this is true, what are the causes of this? Audism? Deaf people are lazy and stupid?

????? I hope that boy just didn't call me lazy. :io:

I was being sarcastic.

Some have an attitude on the board that too many deaf people are being lazy sitting around colecting ssi

The Census released a comprehensive report on poverty, income and health insurance coverage in the United States for 2010. There were 46.18 million people living in poverty, in the United States. The Census population for 2010 was 305,688,000. This means that 15.1% of people in the United States are below the poverty thresholds, or one in 6.6 people

Poverty Data - Poverty threshholds - U.S Census Bureau

More poverty overall. I didn't find any information regarding hearing status.

I was being sarcastic.

Some have an attitude on the board that too many deaf people are being lazy sitting around colecting ssi

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Couldn't be further from the truth for me! I work six days a week on a farm. I don't have time to be lazy!!

Whoever told you that or gave you that impression is pretty :crazy: :laugh2:

Audism. Hearing people won't hire us just because we are deaf or hard of hearing. I have to find a way to let them know that I can do the job without telephone and/or talking to the people in oral way. It was hopeless if there were any hope. I used to work in the past more than 15 years but the job had changed (worked as a keypunch operator and verifier). Now computers take over the keypunch machines. I had a hard time looking for a job as a Clerk Typist which I love to type and do the office work chores.

I am not lazy at all. So back off. :roll:

Some hearing people think that deaf people aren't ordinary people who work, drive, get married and have kids. It's ignorant but that's what some people think. :roll:

Some hearing people think that deaf people aren't ordinary people who work, drive, get married and have kids. It's ignorant but that's what some people think. :roll:

Yeah, a good amount of ADers have had their share of "You can drive?" questions asked to them, including myself.

Yeah I can drive. They allowed you to even sit for the written driving exam?

:giggle:

I was being sarcastic.

Yeah, I hear ya'! I think they're just jealous b/c they need more money. I just ignore them and I like honesty.

No time to be lazy with 1 full time job at school working with teenagers with autism (along with other disorders such as ADHD etc) and 3 evenings at a retail store.

Unfortunately, there ARE deaf people who are lazy and do collect SSI/SSDI. Seen them with my own eyes. They give us a bad name.

I've also gone to a deaf school as a guest and watched the teachers say "See? Here are some deaf people who work. DON'T GRADUATE FROM HERE AND COLLECT SSI!!!"

The kids (who are seniors/juniors) laughed and pointed at each other. "He's gonna do it!" "Her! Her!" etc.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was mildly disturbing.

I understand the entitlements will change by 2017. Better get ready, folks.

I think the ssi thing is similar to kids in the inner cities resorting to selling drugs, cuz theres less opportunities to make a living.

Not justifying it just stating possible motivation

I understand the entitlements will change by 2017. Better get ready, folks.

Yeah, that is for Medicare funding may depleted, and for 2037, Social Security trust fund itself will be entirely depleted. Awesome... Now the lazy ass better get ready.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

You compassion is underwhelming. Now, don't you have some puppies to kick?

Unfortunately, there ARE deaf people who are lazy and do collect SSI/SSDI. Seen them with my own eyes. They give us a bad name.

I have a ?. Have you been employee of the month for hardcore labor company like landscapin? I aint talk'n' bout McDonalds. I sho' dont give a bad name. Get a clue, all deaf people arent the same. I was called work-horse at my job and I collect SSDI. It has alot to do with the economy.

I have a ?. Have you been employee of the month for hardcore labor company like landscapin? I aint talk'n' bout McDonalds. I sho' dont give a bad name. Get a clue, all deaf people arent the same. I was called work-horse at my job and I collect SSDI. It has alot to do with the economy.

Um.... why do you think I am talking about those who don't have a job? I only said lazy people. I have some friends who don't currently have a job, but they definitely are not lazy.

I know some people have assumed that if one doesn't have a job, therefore that means they are lazy. They also assume if one collects SSDI, therefore they are also lazy. I am not one of those people. Relax....

(By the way, you should be mad at those who ARE lazy and collect SSDI, they are collecting money that should be rightfully for those who DO need it.)

Back