15 years implant user...

bbaseballboy123

Reaction score
Hello, I am Patrick, aged 16 right now.
Backgrond history: I was implanted on my right at age 2 with advanced Bonics, a year later, I was re-implanted the same side because it broke internally.
At age 15, I got another advance bonics implanted on my left side
And toady... guess what, My right broke again after 14 years!

I guess you could say i have bad luck!

But I went to google "harmony vs nucleus 5" and found this site.
Those are my 2 options, go with AB again, or go with cochlear, and I have to make this decision by friday next week...

I think AB isn't being done right now because of some recalls, so I guess you are Cochlear material for sure.

I think AB isn't being done right now because of some recalls, so I guess you are Cochlear material for sure.

This is what my doctor told me, but he said I can wait a few months if I want to go with AB again.

AB is not on the market because a few people got shocks from the "90k" series I think its called? I actually have it installed on my left

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Oh, bummer. I am sorry that you have problem with your CI. Well, you can have an hearing aid as it might be a little bit cheaper than the CI device that broke after 14 years. :dunno:

Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Oh, bummer. I am sorry that you have problem with your CI. Well, you can have an hearing aid as it might be a little bit cheaper than the CI device that broke after 14 years. :dunno:

Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I cant go with hearing aids since I am profound deaf with 100% deafness in both ears.
CI damages the inter cochlear so either way hearing aids would never work for me.
So only options are CI, AB or cochlear

Thanks for the welcome tho :D

Bbaseball boy that sucks that your CI broke. I'm not a CI user, but isn't Coachlear the most "universal" implant? Meaning the most commonly seen/used? Meaning if you went on vacation or switched audis or something, you could be seen by an audi who was used to servicing coachlear?
Also, stick around.....we do have at least one or two other regular teen posters, and there's lots of great info here!!!!! Don't worry we don't bite.....and there is SOME debate about CIs, but virtually everyone here is OK with CI. (and before I get piled on, it's true....its just that other people misinterpret what others are saying, and just claim we're anti CI or anti oral b/c they just want to generalize)

welcome..

just read everything what this forum says, and don't take it too personally.

enjoy! :)

Have had my CI 10 years now, it is YOUR choice whatever brand you want. But if you went for AB, you would possibly have to wait longer.

I know nothing about CIs, but, if I kept having problems with one brand...and it's currently recalled, I'd go with another brand.

I know nothing about CIs, but, if I kept having problems with one brand...and it's currently recalled, I'd go with another brand.

All brands are recalled at some points in their production I guess.

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum! Sorry to hear of your CI troubles. I'm a Cochlear user myself. There's also an "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants" section in the forum whereas you could ask questions or have discussions about the CI.

:welcome: to AD. Not a CI user here and sorry for all of your CI troubles.

Hello, I am Patrick, aged 16 right now.
Backgrond history: I was implanted on my right at age 2 with advanced Bonics, a year later, I was re-implanted the same side because it broke internally.
At age 15, I got another advance bonics implanted on my left side
And toady... guess what, My right broke again after 14 years!

I guess you could say i have bad luck!

But I went to google "harmony vs nucleus 5" and found this site.
Those are my 2 options, go with AB again, or go with cochlear, and I have to make this decision by friday next week...

I'm so sorry your first CI has broken -- and twice, too! You must have been one of the pioneers of AB's CIs -- I think they received approval to implant children in '97 -- were you part of a special trial for the Clarion? Did they give you any indication of what was causing the failures?

I hope your newer CI is working great and making the loss of the other less of a shocking change. Best of luck with your decision -- that's a tough one. On the positive side, no matter which you opt for, you'll be getting technology that has come such a long way since your early generation implant.

I'm so sorry your first CI has broken -- and twice, too! You must have been one of the pioneers of AB's CIs -- I think they received approval to implant children in '97 -- were you part of a special trial for the Clarion? Did they give you any indication of what was causing the failures?

I hope your newer CI is working great and making the loss of the other less of a shocking change. Best of luck with your decision -- that's a tough one. On the positive side, no matter which you opt for, you'll be getting technology that has come such a long way since your early generation implant.

I was actually one of the first few babies to be implanted in the country! A girl who lives a few miles away is 2 years older than me was implanted a year before I was first implanted.
I was implanted in 1996 after being FDA approving implants in babies.

I don't recall any "special trail" for clarion, I doubt my parents would have wanted me to be in a trail testing.
When they pulled it out, they confirmed that one of the little wires was crack in half, who knows why it broke though.

And my new CI will most likely to be the Cochlear with the new Nucleus 5. I hope I am going with the best decision because not only its "9 out of 10 recommended by audiologist" (including mine lol) but I am taking a risk with a new system that my brain would have to get used too after 14 years of AB system.
Also the harmony has a t-bic which is very critical for me since I wear headphones a lot, and AB has it patented so Cochlear can't make a "t-bic"

But I must say (without any rudeness) I am very lucky to even have the technology available to me so I can easily communicate with the mainstream education.

That is one of the best decisions I am making. Its hard to move to a different company after being with a company for 14 years (using their implants+my brain adapted to the implants).
But again I think I am going to ditch AB (i do have AB on my left which will still be supported of course) and go with Cochlear for my right. Its just amazing that after 14 years, I am going to go with a different implant in a few weeks...

Hey I just read your sig. I am hoping you would not mind if I PM you with a few questions regrading the new N5 processors?

Hey I just read your sig. I am hoping you would not mind if I PM you with a few questions regrading the new N5 processors?

Any time! Although I can't compare them to the AB products, we only have Cochlear on both sides.

Any time! Although I can't compare them to the AB products, we only have Cochlear on both sides.

Oh I know that. I am just wondering about the processor itself. There is something that is somewhat hindering me from wanting the N5.

Edit: I actually can't PM you since I am new to this forum, I am very active over at overclock.net and they have the same forum set up.
I was hoping you can help me with the mics on the N5.
Since I had BTE and harmony with my right (strongest hearing), I had a "t-bic" which is a mic that is near the ear canal. Obviously, AB patented this so Cochlear can't create a mic similar to the "t-bic"
This is the harmony with the t-bic (labeled)
Harmony-callouts-LRG.jpg

Now the N5 has 2 mics ON the processor on top. This made me somewhat in disgust with the design of where they placed the mics because I really do depend on the t-bic since I wear headphones a lot at home and always have my cell hold like natural.
The headphones I have arent just headphones, theyre around the ear headphones: (picture of what I actually use at home)
1001072hj2.jpg

My question is, would the headphones make it much harder to hear since the cushion would be pressed on the N5?

Back