Easter traditions

alicilaly

Reaction score
How young is too young for easter candy?
bought all the goodies for my son's easter basket! He is 16 mos old and will be 17mos on easter so he is old enough to enjoy the lil toys and goodies etc... i cut back on the candy and added granola bars but i did allow him some peeps! I am going to make him wait another year (at least) before getting into a chocolate bunny. but he is going to have an egg hunt at church and i plan on "helping" him eat them afterwards.

what are your families' traditions surrounding easter?
My family growing up always goes to church. When i was really little we woke up early and went to sunrise service. Then when I was older we went to a church that had a play with hundreds of extras dressed in Biblical atire and we got involved as a family. this year our church is having a service and egg hunt so im going to make a nice video for my parents!

What is your favorite thing about Easter?
Mine is getting together with family to celebrate the new beginning I have through Jesus' resurrection! and eating chocolate:lol:

You can put some of his favorite snacks.

I plan to put my son's basket fill with his favorite candies, DVD movie and Nerf blast gun (great for him to play with it during summer time!)

For my youngest....too young to have candies! He will be almost 5 months old. He'll get learning puppy, and one more toy, not sure what. Maybe add some baby food instead of candy. :) Next year he will have some candies.

We'll have Ham, with twice baked potatoes and broccoli with cheese or something not sure and rolls. Of course some dessert, probably Coca Cola double fudge cake. MMM!

You can put some of his favorite snacks.

I plan to put my son's basket fill with his favorite candies, DVD movie and Nerf blast gun (great for him to play with it during summer time!)

For my youngest....too young to have candies! He will be almost 5 months old. He'll get learning puppy, and one more toy, not sure what. Maybe add some baby food instead of candy. :) Next year he will have some candies.

We'll have Ham, with twice baked potatoes and broccoli with cheese or something not sure and rolls. Of course some dessert, probably Coca Cola double fudge cake. MMM!

mmmmmm.... we're eating with my in laws most likely i wonder what my mother in law will make...

To be frank, I'm not a fan of giving and receiving gifts on Easter. I prefer to do just the family dinner and give a moment of silence to Jesus Christ for his sacrifice.

Nowadays, people think it's all about the chocolate eggs and the Easter Bunny. It's sad when people don't know the origins of some holidays. I'm sure a lot of kids don't even know why we celebrate Christmas.

We buy a new nice outfit for the year, and wear it at church (we never buy anything too nice that we only wear it once).

play games, Easter eggs hunts for the kids, candies, dinner.

Now that my kids are older. I tend to get them a new bathing suit, Beach towel and some goodies in a large Beach Bucket, waterbasket.

We start the day with going to church. We usually have extra special resurrection songs by the choir, and more resurrection songs for us, the congregation to sing. Hubby and I don't buy new clothes for Easter but we do switch over to our brighter "spring-time" church clothing. It feels more celebratory than dark winter clothing. I can understand parents buying new clothing because kids outgrow their previous year's outfits. :)

Then, family lunch together. Before eating, our prayer includes our thanks for the sacrificial death and glorious resurrection of Jesus Christ.

When the grandkids were little we usually gave them each a stuffed animal to cuddle. When they got a little older we switched to age appropriate Bibles and Christian story books, along with a little candy. At their house they colored Easter eggs.

At our church, we usually say "Resurrection Sunday" rather than "Easter."

On Sunday evening we go back to church and observe the Lord's Supper together at the end of the service.

Kids don't fully understand abstract concepts like "resurrection." Symbols like eggs and butterflies help kids understand it. Kids understand the concept of "gift" and that the "giver" wants to spread joy. I used to teach Sunday school for little kids. The fun of egg hunts and candy is appealing, too. Like icing on the cake.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd. I don't see the point of giving gifts on Easter anyway.
I can understand giving small trinkets to children, especially if they are symbolic or related to Easter, such as Bibles, lambs, cross necklace, or lilies. It also helps to keep them entertained while waiting for the dinner. :)

Easter isn't what it is today that it was in the olden days, it seems (at least to me). My boys are teenagers, so no baskets, etc. We do go to Church and have a big dinner or eat out afterwards. On that day I do reflect and give thanks to God for all we have and that he is risen, once again, into our hearts afresh.

Back when I was growing up, (my siblings), 4 girls and 2 boys...Easter was a "big" thing, right next to Xmas...we girls "had to have" a new dress, shoes, hats, gloves, panty hose and a basket. That was a must for us! The boys always got a new tie.

Easter egg hunts were everywhere! And jelly beans! And of course, the lucky one who found the "golden egg."...Ahh, to go back to those days!

Kids don't fully understand abstract concepts like "resurrection." Symbols like eggs and butterflies help kids understand it. Kids understand the concept of "gift" and that the "giver" wants to spread joy. I used to teach Sunday school for little kids. The fun of egg hunts and candy is appealing, too. Like icing on the cake.

Egg hunts are fun.

Although I don't think children should be given expensive toys for Easter. Just some chocolate eggs, jelly bellies, maybe a book or something would suit them fine.

I don't really enjoy going to birthday parties for children because I rarely see them behaving with gratitude. What makes it even worse are the guests (children), they literally try to open gifts just because they want to even though they don't belong to them. However, what I would say make it even more worse are the parents laughing and acting like it's not a big deal if a child did something terrible.

It's basically the "me, me, me" generation these days. Sad.

Parents should be teaching children how to be grateful for the gifts they receive. I don't see it much.

...I don't really enjoy going to birthday parties for children because I rarely see them behaving with gratitude. What makes it even worse are the guests (children), they literally try to open gifts just because they want to even though they don't belong to them. However, what I would say make it even more worse are the parents laughing and acting like it's not a big deal if a child did something terrible.

It's basically the "me, me, me" generation these days. Sad.

Parents should be teaching children how to be grateful for the gifts they receive. I don't see it much.
That's why we prefer to do birthday activities rather than parties. We took the boys (and a couple close friends) to a fun park, the zoo, or the Aquarium, fishing trip, bowling, etc. One year, my youngest grandson wanted to go to a Japanese restaurant where they put on a "show" when they chop up the food and fire it up at the table. We did serve cake and ice cream after. It's less hectic and more enjoyable. My daughter did a few "parties" for the boys when they were little but she tried to downplay the gift giving. Instead, she prepared goody bags for the kids who attended, with little treats in them. The kids played outdoor games (helps to expel that pent-up energy). The goal was to have fun with their friends.

BTW Banjo, why are you going to kids' birthday parties? :giggle:

my family celebrates easter by giving candy to each other, but i have been opting out for nine years now due to my beliefs. either way, i'll buy some candy when it goes on sale after easter.. :giggle:

Where I live, it's not customary to open gifts at a child's birthday party. The parties are usually an activity-type party then the kids have cake. Huge pizza-sized cookies are very popular right now and easier to serve. A party bag with favors is a must!

At small family birthday parties, relatives are more likely to want to watch the child open presents, especially when the child is very young.

My youngest kid gets so excited that he says, "This is the best day ever!" Always makes me happy.

Not religous here...Easter to me is getting together with family and having a good BBQ at the park. :)

Where I live, it's not customary to open gifts at a child's birthday party. The parties are usually an activity-type party then the kids have cake. Huge pizza-sized cookies are very popular right now and easier to serve. A party bag with favors is a must!

At small family birthday parties, relatives are more likely to want to watch the child open presents, especially when the child is very young.

My youngest kid gets so excited that he says, "This is the best day ever!" Always makes me happy.

I liked what you and Reba had to say. Birthday activities are much, much better than birthday parties.

Back