Deaf Computer Professionals???

Stella

Reaction score
I'm getting my AS in Computer Science. I was going for database, but I had to drop an Oracle class that is offered once a year and only online. I was really frustrated trying to manage Oracle in a Virtual Box on my laptop when I also needed to use it to look up PL/SQL commands. So, I switched to Help Desk just because I only need 4 classes to get that AS.

I don't want to do Help Desk, because 1. I'm deaf and 2. It's almost impossible to move up anywhere from Help Desk.

The point is getting the AS so I can move on to the BAS, anyway.

My school offers 3 BAS programs:

1. Project Management - Not a good fit for me, because I'm deaf.
2. Programming - I'm not really sure I want to be a Code Monkey.
3. Networking - Right now networking is looking like my best option.

Any thoughts on your experiences and job outlooks?

What you do in school is just to prepare you for employment. It doesn't mean you don't have mobility in the field. If you are going to get a BS, look into Computer information Systems or Management Information Systems. If you like science, stick with the raw computer science degree.

No matter what you do, you are going to need to learn programming.

The degrees are all Computer Science. They all have the same core classes which includes programming, but each has a specialized emphasis.

Some tracks you might not have to learn as much programming.

The programming track you mentioned in your OP is the track I'd love to take- I can see myself as a Code Monkey lol (just not a coder who has to conceive an idea then build the code).

Where is your AS from(you can PM me if you like)? Hmm that's definitely something to look into, but most places I look for bachelor's they don't seem to have Programming heavy degrees at all- maybe a semester or two, that's it, of programming itself.

I'm attending Eastern Florida State. It's really a good college and it's cheaper than others. Also, the cost of living here is cheap. I've taken the 100 level classes to get the AS, really just basic stuff, but the BS requires a lot of math, calculus and physics. I'm thinking when I get to that point I may transfer to the University of Central Florida in Orlando. They offer a Computer Science degree that focuses on lab work without all the math. Or I may just get the certifications so I can get a job. Eastern Florida State pays for the certification exams if you are in their degree programs.

What you do in school is just to prepare you for employment. It doesn't mean you don't have mobility in the field. If you are going to get a BS, look into Computer information Systems or Management Information Systems. If you like science, stick with the raw computer science degree.

No matter what you do, you are going to need to learn programming.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is very true.
And help desk itself is versatile depending on your ambitions.
I got my BS is programming, however, i do nothing of that sort.
As VacationGuy234 mentions, it is just to get your foot in the door. Much like help desk did for me. I started at help desk and am now a supervisor/manager of the IT department. I went from Help Desk > LAN Administrator > Network Administrator > Manager/Supervisor.

If you have the drive... you can do it.

"Because I am Deaf" is one of lamest excuse I ever heard of.

I know many computer professional who are Deaf, they have no issue finding job, even with help desk! There are few of my former co-workers were able to find job with IT at schools, corporations, and so on. It is your own attitude that would make difference.

Generally, I wouldn't recommend going college to learn programming or basic computer field. Computer science is something worth going college for. I never finish college and were able to find job in computer field. Tell you this truth, the market is saturated, and is very competitive field, meaning more people you are going to compete to get jobs. Hearing people DO have trouble finding job within computer field, so there is no difference really.

Again, it is about your attitude, using "Because I am Deaf" will lead you to nowhere.

All I can say is good luck. I really dont like any of the choices you gave us. I been in pc field for over 18 years and right now the market is really full and only good for those whom have other certifications like MCSE, oracle, pearl etc . You are right about help desk issues. You probably can find jobs NOW in the listings and feel good, but by the time you graduate... either its not there or there is other qualifications needed.
TRUST me.. been there .. done that. There is nothing anymore . not like pre 9/11 tower crash time. computer techs are a dime a dozen now. help desks is more of overseas now.

Sadly they're right.

A degree might (even an AS) gives you a leg up over someone like me (I have a BA degree-- in Education- but have 10ish years experience) but it's still a challenge not by much though. I'm still looking right now- don't know if I ever will because they want..."more recent experience". Personally for me I don't go for help desk type positions because it's not my style (I'm not a people person) not just because I'm deaf.. so to those who may say "well that's a crappy attitude" No it isn't- I'm the only one who knows my own strengths and weaknesses and where I'd likely do best at. why go to a job that I will grow to hate?

I always wonder... Can't get a job because of no recent experience, can't get recent experience without a job... kind of a catch 22 :P

Anyway.. Despite the naysayers up there- do what you think is best but be aware that you may have a challenging time in finding work though luck might be on your side being young and fresh out of college. Certifications are good but definitely a dime a dozen (amazingly-- I don't have any).

"Because I am Deaf" is one of lamest excuse I ever heard of.

I interviewed for a Tier 1 job a few years ago, and they didn't hire me because of hearing loss. The interview was ended abruptly after I told them of my hearing loss.

Anyway, how do you get around talking on the phone? I can't hear on the phone.

Aren't you kidding? Have you heard of Videophone?

If they don't want you, move on and keep looking. There are millions of doors out there that WILL open for you. Why do you need to have Deafness stopping you?

I interviewed for a Tier 1 job a few years ago, and they didn't hire me because of hearing loss. The interview was ended abruptly after I told them of my hearing loss.

Anyway, how do you get around talking on the phone? I can't hear on the phone.

Aren't you kidding? Have you heard of Videophone?

If they don't want you, move on and keep looking. There are millions of doors out there that WILL open for you. Why do you need to have Deafness stopping you?

The problem with videophones/TDD with phone help desk is that there is a single phone number that the company has ALREADY setup and its a trunk line. its only goes to the next available rep. There is no current way of hearing person to call a company already setup and if the next available rep is deaf will go to the relay - this involves adding a third party call and the person calling will wonder why is there a relay on the line - then additional waiting is involved.

I'm sorry .....it doesnt work that way. Most poeple who start need to start at the bottom and that tier 1 calls then work your way up to next level. A deaf person can handle any calls they can call TO. not from. The only companies that a deaf person can be on tier 1 level is work in a VRS deaf/hoh setting. like sorenson, Z, purple help desk, tech support, etc.

I understand, point is there are always some companies that are willing to make accommodation, if that company refused to make accommodation, then employment with them won't be as good as one wanted them to be.

I was Tier 2 technical support for 5 years, and I have already met several Deaf customers that works as help desk for company. I know a wonderful customer that actually works as supervisor for California Highway department. He retired after 30 years working for them few years ago. Other one from Massachusett that is actually engineer and Deaf! He overseen the operation of construction, I could go on with examples of what I have met. Anyway, I have seen enough to understand them so why stick with company that isn't friendly with Deaf? It is their loss.

The point is, do you want to gainful a happy employment or lousy employment with employer that leads ongoing frustration? The only issue I see for Deaf people like myself is that it takes extra work to find a decent job.

The problem with videophones/TDD with phone help desk is that there is a single phone number that the company has ALREADY setup and its a trunk line. its only goes to the next available rep. There is no current way of hearing person to call a company already setup and if the next available rep is deaf will go to the relay - this involves adding a third party call and the person calling will wonder why is there a relay on the line - then additional waiting is involved.

I'm sorry .....it doesnt work that way. Most poeple who start need to start at the bottom and that tier 1 calls then work your way up to next level. A deaf person can handle any calls they can call TO. not from. The only companies that a deaf person can be on tier 1 level is work in a VRS deaf/hoh setting. like sorenson, Z, purple help desk, tech support, etc.

check www.usajobs.gov for federal IT jobs to get you ideas on how to prepare for civil service and public/private company.

I'm getting my AS in Computer Science. I was going for database, but I had to drop an Oracle class that is offered once a year and only online. I was really frustrated trying to manage Oracle in a Virtual Box on my laptop when I also needed to use it to look up PL/SQL commands. So, I switched to Help Desk just because I only need 4 classes to get that AS.

I don't want to do Help Desk, because 1. I'm deaf and 2. It's almost impossible to move up anywhere from Help Desk.

The point is getting the AS so I can move on to the BAS, anyway.

My school offers 3 BAS programs:

1. Project Management - Not a good fit for me, because I'm deaf.
2. Programming - I'm not really sure I want to be a Code Monkey.
3. Networking - Right now networking is looking like my best option.

Any thoughts on your experiences and job outlooks?

Go for programming. Much more money and jobs. Networking is dependant on heavy communication sometimes. They will probably work around your disability no. Atter what though. If they dont you sue their butts.

Back