Any Storium writers here?

Daza

Reaction score
Storium was earlier this year funded via kickstarter. Just wondering if there are alldeaf members here who know about it?

Basically its a browser based collaborative interactive fiction, where each person can role-play a character and help shape the story as they add written content to a scene. It also features cards in the game which you can play to strengths or weaknesses of your created character, as well as story goals for them too. And there is a sole narrator (member who started the story) who is probably closer to what you would call a game-master like in D&D games of old, who sets up the story and opening scene and major story goals. As the story unfolds they can add story obstacles, new locations and NPC (non player characters) to help move the story a long. The fun part is no writer/player knows how things will play out as the story unravels organically.

It is in BETA stage and has some more features to come such as more options and cards as well as changes made with feedback from the community. I haven't really gotten into it and how it all works as yet, because i do not know any other writers.

To be clear those who want to start their own story and storyworld (a custom one you create or pick a pre-set template) has to purchase a yearly membership which at the moment is $20. However if you are invited by a Storium member to a story you do not need a paid membership, you can create a profile and join in.
It's playable now in its beta phase, but I am looking forward to when it launches towards the end of this year when more features will roll out and also being able to access 60+ pre-set storyworlds.

It works in turns, everyone has a turn to "play" and advance a scene. Its a really interesting method of interactive fiction and is closer to role playing games but minus the dice and long stats sheets. This way you might write a few paragraphs several times a week depending on how quick it comes around to your turn again. The more writers/players the longer the wait will be. Which might suit someone who doesn't have a lot of time anyway to write. Since everyone can agree on imposing a wordcount limit per turn that everyone agrees on you can keep things tight writing wise.

Here is some more indepth info. https://storium.com/how-to-play Let me know if you cannot see that page. For a video overview here is a YT link below, for their intro (that doesn't have distracting music along with the VO.) Unfortunately there is no captions for the video clip, but has plenty of visuals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmySCyuCeRY

Perhaps some writers on this forum may be interested in writing something
as a group? maybe something simple for everyone to learn how it all works.

Of those interested, what kind of genres are you interested in the most?
As for myself sci-fi, adventure, humor, crime/detective, steampunk to name a few.

Back