Removal Cochlear Implants

The guy must have had a bad or neglectful audie.

By the way, there is no backward sign for Russia anywhere in the clip; that was the sign for the great city of Milwaukee, a sign that might be as old as the city itself, :lol:

Tousi,

Why do you think Mat had a bad or neglecful audi? There's also a possibility that he didn't follow up with his CI appointments to get proper mappings. I can tell you from personal experience that the audis at that CI center are excellent and will do everything possible to make sure a CI user's experiences are as positive as can be.

Out of curiosity, was the sign for Milwaukee made with the letter "M" touching the chin?

Tousi,

Why do you think Mat had a bad or neglectful audi? There's also a possibility that Mat didn't follow up with his CI appointments to get proper mappings.

I went thru that clip very fast just to find the sign and saw something about possibly alleviating his discomfort by the removal of an electrode or something so I guess it is more likely that he wasn't good at follow-up for whatever reason (if he was coerced into the CI, then that would be a reason), yadda, yadda; however, it IS difficult to find a really good audie as I have read here, elsewhere, and IRL dozens of times......

The sign for Milwaukee is used with just the index finger extended straight out on the chin back and forth a couple of times. I suspect that the usage of the letter "M" would be a SEE sign. I'd even bet on it.

I went thru that clip very fast just to find the sign and saw something about possibly alleviating his discomfort by the removal of an electrode or something so I guess it is more likely that he wasn't good at follow-up for whatever reason (if he was coerced into the CI, then that would be a reason), yadda, yadda; however, it IS difficult to find a really good audie as I have read here, elsewhere, and IRL dozens of times......

The sign for Milwaukee is used with just the index finger extended straight out on the chin back and forth a couple of times. I suspect that the usage of the letter "M" would be a SEE sign. I'd even bet on it.

I guess I've been lucky in that both of my CI audis (my first CI audi eventually left the field) have been excellent. I've worked with several of the audis at that CI center and they have always done everything they could to ensure that I had nothing but positive experiences with my CI. I don't know...perhaps Mat was coerced into getting a CI or just didn't get along with his audi... :dunno:

When you talk about the index finger being extended straight out, is it facing to the side or away from you? The sign I learned was the letter "M" moving from left to right on the chin several times. From what I've been told, this particular sign represents someone wiping beer from their chin. :lol:

I guess I've been lucky in that both of my CI audis (my first CI audi eventually left the field) have been excellent. I've worked with several of the audis at that CI center and they have always done everything they could to ensure that I had nothing but positive experiences with my CI. I don't know...perhaps Mat was coerced into getting a CI or just didn't get along with his audi... :dunno:

When you talk about the index finger being extended straight out, is it facing to the side or away from you? The sign I learned was the letter "M" moving from left to right on the chin several times. From what I've been told, this particular sign represents someone wiping beer from their chin. :lol:

About the index finger, you make a hand sign for the number one and go quickly and deftly across the chin a couple of times...the motion is just as if you're brushing your teeth. As for that letter "M", from what you have been told, I just don't know; I still think it is a SEE sign. What kind of classes are you taking? Not that it necessarily makes a difference, always, but is your teacher hearing or deaf?

About the index finger, you make a hand sign for the number one and go quickly and deftly across the chin a couple of times...the motion is just as if you're brushing your teeth. As for that letter "M", from what you have been told, I just don't know; I still think it is a SEE sign. What kind of classes are you taking? Not that it necessarily makes a difference, always, but is your teacher hearing or deaf?

I started learning sign at my local deafblind center in 1995 and that's when I learned the sign for Milwaukee. My sign language instructor was hearing.

Okay to HearAgain and Tousi - It is on 2:43 of the clip. To me, it is like backward Russia....i looked at it more carefully, and in a way, it is like signing "lie" or "liar" with just the index finger, instead all four fingers on the chin going back and forth.

I had NO idea what that meant and it was not spelled out, so that's why my translation for that was kind of out of the norm. My apologies!

Okay to HearAgain and Tousi - It is on 2:43 of the clip. To me, it is like backward Russia....i looked at it more carefully, and in a way, it is like signing "lie" or "liar" with just the index finger, instead all four fingers on the chin going back and forth.

I had NO idea what that meant and it was not spelled out, so that's why my translation for that was kind of out of the norm. My apologies!

Lady,

No problem! :)

Here's a thought, too... Could overstimulation of a nerve cause some of that? I know that with some CI users, they have nerve issues that necessitate the need for a new map. In that case, I would think that shutting down a couple of the electrodes would eliminate that feeling, no?

I know that when I went for another Audi (due to moving to Las Vegas), she did the NRT on both of my CI's. One of the electrodes in my left ear was overstimulating my nerve...which is why certain sounds, sounded horrible! Once she turned that off, it was just a huge relief...seriously! I thought it was just me, but it just turned out that I just have a very sensitive nerve at one electrode. It's not a big deal to have a couple electrodes off....it doesn't make the CI function any less.

The sign at 2:43 of the clip is the sign for Milwaukee and Jack signed it at 58 seconds into it, too. I don't understand this backwardness of the sign for Russia at all...not even close. HA, what is the name of this sign class you are taking with your hearing teacher? Is this what he/she does for a living?

I am still pretty sure the M is a SEE sign as I don't see any placement of the M to indicate beer, etc. These people in the clip are ASL Wisconsonites.

Hmm...maybe you sign Russia different than I do. I sign it this way...hopefully you can understand how I do it..lol.

Right hand in a shape of "1".
Starts from Left side of the chin, then sliding it towards the right side of the chin.
Then flick it out, like shaking off something off the chin.

I know there's another sign for Russia, where you have both hands in the shape of "5", then tapping your hips, which is pretty much the sign for the dress they wear for Russian dance.

I assume that I may have use politically incorrect sign for Russia.

Like I said, I should have stated that it was a similar sign to "liar" or "lie", but using only the index finger, instead of Russia. I just don't know Wisc. local signs. :-D

Hmm...maybe you sign Russia different than I do. I sign it this way...hopefully you can understand how I do it..lol.

Starts from Left side of the chin, then sliding it towards the right side of the chin.

I know there's another sign for Russia, where you have both hands in the shape of "5", then tapping your hips, which is pretty much the sign for the dress they wear for Russian dance.

I assume that I may have use politically incorrect sign for Russia.

Like I said, I should have stated that it was a similar sign to "liar" or "lie", but using only the index finger, instead of Russia. I just don't know Wisc. local signs. :-D

Lady,

Was this post directed at me?

I know there's another sign for Russia, where you have both hands in the shape of "5", then tapping your hips. Is that the sign you use?

Like I said, I should have stated that it was a similar sign to "liar" or "lie", but using only the index finger, instead of Russia.

The first sign you gave for Russia is the current, politically correct sign. Yes, as you flick out and down sharply, you maintain the "1" hand-shape. Now, backwards? Lol, don't think so. I sometimes spazz and use the old sign but then again I am not much into the over-abundance of political correctness that stifles/irritates me a lot. :lol:

Now the similarity to "lie" is correct, using that same "1" hand; sometimes four digits are used when one is really adamant about it

Lady,

Was this post directed at me?

Nope! not at all....It was more at Tousi because she stated that it was no where close, so I thought she was using another sign for Russia which is the one with "5" on the hips for Russian Dance costume.

The first sign you gave for Russia is the current, politically correct sign. Yes, as you flick out and down sharply, you maintain the "1" hand-shape. Now, backwards? Lol, don't think so. I sometimes spazz and use the old sign but then again I am not much into the over-abundance of political correctness that stifles/irritates me a lot. :lol:

Now the similarity to "lie" is correct, using that same "1" hand; sometimes four digits are used when one is really adamant about it

Lol! I guess this is how I can learn...how to translate signs in to terms. I just had NO clue what that sign was! So...my bad. I learned something. I wanted HearAgain to have the full benefit of knowing what's on the video. I can see how it would be very hard, and I was more than willing to do my best to translate it word for word. :)

Anyways...this topic has gone wayyyyy off point. :-D Good night everyone!

Lol! I guess this is how I can learn...how to translate signs in to terms. I just had NO clue what that sign was! So...my bad. I learned something. I wanted HearAgain to have the full benefit of knowing what's on the video. I can see how it would be very hard, and I was more than willing to do my best to translate it word for word. :)

Anyways...this topic has gone wayyyyy off point. :-D Good night everyone!

Oh, I know; your assistance to others is very much appreciated.

Back