RIT/NTID or CSUN?

coffee-girl

Reaction score
I'm considering to go back to school at some point in the near future, hopefully by next year in 2016. Since there are so few decent programs that involve services for the Deaf, the only choices I know are mainstream at RIT or CSUN, since they have services for the Deaf. Plus, they have a bigger Deaf population than any other post-secondary colleges/universities.

But I can't decide between CSUN and RIT/NTID. I'm not sure of the major I want. I want either: PR/Advertising, screenwriting, multimedia production, graphic design, and finally film and animation. RIT offers most of those while CSUN offers two that are screenwriting and multimedia production. I am interested in minor for writing as well, but I don't want a career in that area.

RIT is most expensive but I can take most advantage of what they offer.
CSUN is least expensive, and I can still take advantage of what they offer.

But issue is that I am almost 30, I am not interested in living in dormitory or residential hall with freshmen that are twelve years younger than me. At RIT, I could live in an apartment, CSUN, I can't. I just need to think of more pros and cons of RIT and CSUN. Can you guys help?

Can't you live off campus? so you cna go to CSUN. Like I did in the past. Off campus is a good deal.

Stay away from Graphic Design, it was ranked one of top 10 worst major, because of potential employment is too low.

I'm considering to go back to school at some point in the near future, hopefully by next year in 2016. Since there are so few decent programs that involve services for the Deaf, the only choices I know are mainstream at RIT or CSUN, since they have services for the Deaf. Plus, they have a bigger Deaf population than any other post-secondary colleges/universities.

But I can't decide between CSUN and RIT/NTID. I'm not sure of the major I want. I want either: PR/Advertising, screenwriting, multimedia production, graphic design, and finally film and animation. RIT offers most of those while CSUN offers two that are screenwriting and multimedia production. I am interested in minor for writing as well, but I don't want a career in that area.

RIT is most expensive but I can take most advantage of what they offer.
CSUN is least expensive, and I can still take advantage of what they offer.

But issue is that I am almost 30, I am not interested in living in dormitory or residential hall with freshmen that are twelve years younger than me. At RIT, I could live in an apartment, CSUN, I can't. I just need to think of more pros and cons of RIT and CSUN. Can you guys help?

What do you mean by living in an apartment? I'm a third-year student at CSUN, so feel free to PM me with any questions (or just respond on this thread, or whatever).

Stay away from Graphic Design, it was ranked one of top 10 worst major, because of potential employment is too low.
Oh, wow, thanks for telling me about that and sharing the link! :shock:

will you get VR? Some states have stricter rules now.
What is that?

What do you mean by living in an apartment? I'm a third-year student at CSUN, so feel free to PM me with any questions (or just respond on this thread, or whatever).
I am talking about living in an apartment on campus at RIT. I don't think they have any on-campus apartments at CSUN, just the residence halls and dormitories that I would share with freshmen.

I am talking about living in an apartment on campus at RIT. I don't think they have any on-campus apartments at CSUN, just the residence halls and dormitories that I would share with freshmen.

Mmm, I live on-campus, and there are three kinds: The Suites, which is a two-person bedroom, which shares a bathroom with another bedroom. This is strictly for Freshmen.

The University Park Apartments are two-bedroom apartments that are fully furnished, with a bathroom (separate little rooms for the toilet and shower, and two sinks). They also have a full kitchen (fridge, range, oven, sink, and garbage disposal), a large living room, lots of storage space, and a private balcony. Four people usually share this space (two in each bedroom), and they're open to any student (LLCs (Living Learning Communities), however, have certain criteria that need to be met. I've lived in the Lighthouse, which is for Deaf/HOH students, or Deaf Studies majors. We're required to know (and use) ASL, and need to do community hours. The requirements vary by LLC.). It often works out that you can choose your own roommates, but sometimes it's not 100% guaranteed.

Lastly, there's what's generally known as Family Housing (University Village Apartments). These are one and two-bedroom apartments in a separate area from the main dorms. They are treated like regular apartments, but operated by the school, but you must be in a domestic partnership, married, or have dependent children.

Due to the large number of Deaf/HOH residents here, there are interpreters available for events and floor meetings (though sometimes you need to email the housing office to schedule them).

In all honesty, though, apartments near CSUN are sometimes closer to the main campus and run about the same price. I just wanted to give you a breakdown of the housing options, since you seemed a bit confused about that. Most people who live in the dorms here eventually end up getting an apartment off-campus, but I like the security of the dorms (though I will likely end up getting an apartment next year). Parking is convenient, a residential parking pass means you can park in Residential AND Student lots, and the gates are monitored between 7pm and 3:30 am. We have a dining hall, laundry facilities in every building, study areas, and rec areas.

I hope this information helped! (I know it looks like I'm trying to sell it, but I really won't be offended if you don't like the information...) If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

If you do consider on-campus housing, it might be a idea to email or call the Housing/Student Life office and inquire about housing for single students who are older. Sometimes they might make arrangements to allow older "non traditional" students a single room (no roommate).

If you do consider on-campus housing, it might be a idea to email or call the Housing/Student Life office and inquire about housing for single students who are older. Sometimes they might make arrangements to allow older "non traditional" students a single room (no roommate).

True. That happened in our building a few years back.

I did not have any problem living in the dormitory as I was 29 to 30 years old. Of course, the dormitory kids are younger than me. I don't mind. They accept me no matter how old I was back then.

I get the benefits to get into dormitory including allowances plus books and tuition from the VR (Vocational Rehabilitation). Everything was paid for me to study in hearing classes. Of course, I get ASL interpreters so that I will understand what they say in the hearing classes. I love it.

But if you insist on getting apartment, then you have to make decision whether you would pay for the apartment or living free in dormitory.

Would it be safer if you talk with the VR counselor about your plans to go into college with either CSUN or RIT/NTID? The counselor will help you make choices on which field or major you want to study including the benefits. You can discuss with the counselor about living arrangement, too, on where you would like to live whether it be on campus or off campus. Good luck. :)

Just one comment about the above post, it's actually not free to live in the dorms either. It's generally quite a bit cheaper than an apartment, though. I had to pay something like $450 per semester to live in the RIT dorms.

I got a roommate which was cheaper to pay living off campus by my VRs help. But it's not free but helped more than I lived on campus.

Guess you haven't been there for a long time. It is no longer cheap to live at Dorm in RIT/NTID. Now they want 2,700 dollars per semester (No more quarters as of this year) where one can find cheaper outside of RIT/NTID. That is for NTID rates, not RIT rates.

You will be shocked how much RIT has changed. I was shocked to see how much they have changed since I left RIT. No more inferior dorms, they have built plenty of new residence hall, they are getting bigger, and BIGGER! The only thing that sucks at RIT is camera is everywhere! No more days of mischiefs. :(

Tuition at RIT has skyrocket, they aren't cheap anymore. Thats why OP is looking beyond that.

Just one comment about the above post, it's actually not free to live in the dorms either. It's generally quite a bit cheaper than an apartment, though. I had to pay something like $450 per semester to live in the RIT dorms.

Fine. My post was only correcting that it is NOT free to live in the dorms as was previously posted. You just affirmed that.

Fine. My post was only correcting that it is NOT free to live in the dorms as was previously posted. You just affirmed that.

What I meant is VR is paying for a student to live in the dormitory. I don't know about the apartment either on campus or off campus. I know it is not free if not having the VR helping with financial needs for college.

As for diehardbiker, I am shock to know the news about RIT/NTID that the cost has gone up higher than what we got paid in the past with VR. Whoa! I could not believe that. :shock:

As someone who went to RIT, they do have a 21 an over floor. My first year at RIT I was on the 21 and over floor and most of the people on that floor were mostly mid 20s to late 30s. There were an occasional group of 21 year olds. But most of the floor is for older group of people.

In the end, I ended up getting a dorm room to myself, because I had enough with roommates who stole my stuff and what not. Considering I lived on my own since I was 19.

CSUN had the strongest earthquake in San Fernando Vly of Southern Calif. It's not safe living there, your own risk.

Hey quick question @ Steviemont927
Do you like CSUN? And would you recommend a deaf girl with no signing skills to go here?

Hey quick question @ Steviemont927
Do you like CSUN? And would you recommend a deaf girl with no signing skills to go here?

Only way is to go to the Disability Service at CSUN and ask for "Dragon" which you can read on the screen by another typing person whether the person is a student or typist from the Disability Service so that you can understand what the professor who will be handling the microphone for the student or typist to hear what they (professors and hearing students) said and type it out in the screen. I am taking my breath of typing a long sentence. :lol:

On top of that, you can get a notetaker (student) to take your notes of what is going on in the classrooms. She or he will have a copy for herself or himself while you have the original notes.

I have never went to CSUN. I would not want to go to college in California. But if you like to take the risk (earthquake or mudslide or any other storms) there, then you can go. :)

Back