Grendel

Wow! Thanks for putting up the link.

I would love to attend Frontrunners but it's quite costly.

So sad that deaf access and way in Denmark is being obliterated. :(

But kudos to the hearing Japanese for opening their mind and heart to the deaf community.

Very interesting, PFH -- thank you! And those videos from the Frontrunners youth leadership programs are pretty cool, too. They have info available in 12 sign languages.

I've written about the danish tragedy on this forum earlier. The CI controversy and mainstreaming problems are global problems, but still, denmark is like a lighthouse that emitts darkness compared to it's neighbouring countries. It's not only the deaf ed, but employment and social problems as well.

I sometimes wonder why everything went so wrong in denmark. They have a history of oral deaf education and use of cued speech systems, and that can be a reason. Also heard rumors that the danish national deaf assocation suffers from weak leadership.

It's sad, denmark have produced excellent product for deaf people, and still do, like frontrunner.

Apparently Denmark hasn't discovered the" known medical fact"-not everyone can be implanted. What happens to this "group"-now?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Apparently Denmark hasn't discovered the" known medical fact"-not everyone can be implanted. What happens to this "group"-now?

That's the concern.

I've written about the danish tragedy on this forum earlier. The CI controversy and mainstreaming problems are global problems, but still, denmark is like a lighthouse that emitts darkness compared to it's neighbouring countries. It's not only the deaf ed, but employment and social problems as well.

I sometimes wonder why everything went so wrong in denmark. They have a history of oral deaf education and use of cued speech systems, and that can be a reason. Also heard rumors that the danish national deaf assocation suffers from weak leadership.

It's sad, denmark have produced excellent product for deaf people, and still do, like frontrunner.

And, in comparison, the Swedish system is one of the top.

The very same thing that has been happening to "this group" for centuries.:cool2:

Like in the article - several of my friends' friends are moving from denmark to sweden.

I would actually love to do about a year's post doc in Sweden. I have a feeling I could learn so much from their system.

Certainly can't blame them for moving.

Like in the article - several of my friends' friends are moving from denmark to sweden.
Yeah, that correlates with what I see. Too bad, because denmark got better beaches, hope deaf culture will reclaim denmark someday..

I would actually love to do about a year's post doc in Sweden. I have a feeling I could learn so much from their system.

Certainly can't blame them for moving.
A head up, the winter in stockholm can be COLD!

While sweden definately is "top" in a global perspective, they have their issues. One thing I don't like, is that their deaf ed is controlled by the special education department, or something like that. That said, the issues in sweden are pretty trivial compared to what the danes struggle with. Sometimes, it looks like the swedes don't know how good their country are for deaf people!

A secret for ya, if swedes have to move, they sometimes moves to.. finland ;) I'm not finish, but finland have some impressive students enrolling out of their deaf ed, and they are actually running the WFD.

While sweden definately is "top" in a global perspective, they have their issues. One thing I don't like, is that their deaf ed is controlled by the special education department, or something like that. That said, the issues in sweden are pretty trivial compared to what the danes struggle with. Sometimes, it looks like the swedes don't know how good their country are for deaf people!

A secret for ya, if swedes have to move, they sometimes moves to.. finland ;) I'm not finish, but finland have some impressive students enrolling out of their deaf ed, and they are actually running the WFD.

Yeah most of the WFD people are Finnish and Swedes.

Most of the USA "Deaf Ed" are "Special Ed" as well :/

Stockholm isnt much colder than here. It's been running between -7c and -1c for highs all week this week here. ;)

Stockholm isnt much colder than here. It's been running between -7c and -1c for highs all week this week here. ;)
Wow, it's hot in stockholm at the moment. Guess they are sweating, preparing for the next round of -15c and down :)

Sure, it depends on where in the states one lives, I know north america have some freaking cold places. Parts of scandinavia is heated up by the gulf stream, but stockholm and up north in sweden is a bit far from the gulf stream.

Back