If you're deciding on a CI or decided not to get one

Yes me too, especially when we address the superiority-prejudicial attitude yet they twist it to appear we are advocating against technology or education; or that we are closed and interverted and it is all about sign language and nothing else.

Sign language is vitally important, but that is not everything we are about. Their attitude is that because we can't hear, they perceive us as less capable, less intelligient and that we cannot pertain to the highest intellectual and educational levels because we don't have 'perfect hearing', thus pushing the assistive technology for the wrong reasons.

The HAs and CIs are assistive apparatus and nothing more. One can obtain the same ends for quality of life, with or without them.

I disagree with this statement, first, to a large extent, quality of life (QOL) is subjective and personal, what you may view as essential to improve your QOL maybe something that someone else does not view as having any impact on their QOL.

HAs and Cis are examples as there exist some deaf who do not view either or both as having any impact on their QOL and others who do so, there are many examples of this just on this board alone. It does not make one's view and/or decision right or wrong nor does the view held by one detract and/or add to someone else's view, it just is what it is: differing views on the same subject.

As for the second part of your statement, that however is factually incorrect first for many they will not have the same access to sounds if they do not utilize a HA or a CI. Again, there are many examples of posters who have CIs and who have stated that they can hear sounds with them that they could not with HAs and obviously, if they were unaided. Thus, it was physically not possible for them to do so without access to HAs or Cis. Second, if a person views access to sounds as important to improving their QOL then having HAs and/or CIs as opposed to not having them will have a direct impact on their QOL.
Rick

Rick did NOT write that QOL is impossible without sounds or anything near that statement: you have either misread his statement or you are intentionally rewriting what he said to fit an imagined audist bogeyman that you can rally against. That's not healthy to the community and by attempting to put your words into Rick's mouth you are making statements that hurt people who have had too much real pain already and don't need to hear your ugly imaginings.

Rick stated very much the opposite: that QOL is in the eye of the beholder. In effect, that HAs and CIs only provide benefit if access to sound is something the user values. If not, these tools are not useful and don't affect QOL. I don't see how you can disagree with HIS very non-confrontational words: "there exist some deaf who do not view either or both as having any impact on their QOL and others who do so." You can see that even on this little microcosm online: some here LIKE what their HAs, their CIs provide. Some don't have any need for these tools.
Grendel - Read it again.... BecLak said this: You can get the same QOL either way - hearing or not. Simple. Then Rick comes in and says that is "factually incorrect" alongside with quoting that specific statement.

Do you actually agree with him?

If your daughter decides to stop wearing her CI's - do you think her QOL will drop?

Yes me too, especially when we address the superiority-prejudicial attitude yet they twist it to appear we are advocating against technology or education; or that we are closed and interverted and it is all about sign language and nothing else.

Sign language is vitally important, but that is not everything we are about. Their attitude is that because we can't hear, they perceive us as less capable, less intelligient and that we cannot pertain to the highest intellectual and educational levels because we don't have 'perfect hearing', thus pushing the assistive technology for the wrong reasons.

The HAs and CIs are assistive apparatus and nothing more. One can obtain the same ends for quality of life, with or without them.

I disagree with this statement, first, to a large extent, quality of life (QOL) is subjective and personal, what you may view as essential to improve your QOL maybe something that someone else does not view as having any impact on their QOL.

HAs and Cis are examples as there exist some deaf who do not view either or both as having any impact on their QOL and others who do so, there are many examples of this just on this board alone. It does not make one's view and/or decision right or wrong nor does the view held by one detract and/or add to someone else's view, it just is what it is: differing views on the same subject.

As for the second part of your statement, that however is factually incorrect first for many they will not have the same access to sounds if they do not utilize a HA or a CI. Again, there are many examples of posters who have CIs and who have stated that they can hear sounds with them that they could not with HAs and obviously, if they were unaided. Thus, it was physically not possible for them to do so without access to HAs or Cis. Second, if a person views access to sounds as important to improving their QOL then having HAs and/or CIs as opposed to not having them will have a direct impact on their QOL.
Rick

Rick did NOT write that QOL is impossible without sounds or anything near that statement: you have either misread his statement or you are intentionally rewriting what he said to fit an imagined audist bogeyman that you can rally against. That's not healthy to the community and by attempting to put your words into Rick's mouth you are making statements that hurt people who have had too much real pain already and don't need to hear your ugly imaginings.

Rick stated very much the opposite: that QOL is in the eye of the beholder. In effect, that HAs and CIs only provide benefit if access to sound is something the user values. If not, these tools are not useful and don't affect QOL. I don't see how you can disagree with HIS very non-confrontational words: "there exist some deaf who do not view either or both as having any impact on their QOL and others who do so." You can see that even on this little microcosm online: some here LIKE what their HAs, their CIs provide. Some don't have any need for these tools.

I see an undercurrent. Don't you? Really, that was what I was "rallying against." No biggie, though. I notice that posters remain consistent in their views and I have come to accept it. That doesn't mean I have to agree with them or remain quiet. I have nothing against Rick personally: in fact, if we met in real life, we could get along like gangbusters and have civil discussions and I would admire his daughter for her obvious accomplishments. There is too much to be desired in a forum, and this one is no exception.

I see an undercurrent. Don't you? Really, that was what I was "rallying against." No biggie, though. I notice that posters remain consistent in their views and I have come to accept it. That doesn't mean I have to agree with them or remain quiet. I have nothing against Rick personally: in fact, if we met in real life, we could get along like gangbusters and have civil discussions and I would admire his daughter for her obvious accomplishments. There is too much to be desired in a forum, and this one is no exception.

If you're buying the beer, then we can be friends :)

My second point and where I disagreed with you was that I interpreted your comments as saying that HAs and CIs are not necessary for one's QOL and that in my opinion, if you do indeed value access to sound as a part of your QOL equation then, for many they are important and necessary as the means for them to gain that access to sound.

I believe you would admire my DD as she has a tremendous outlook on life and probably one of the best sense of self and self confidence of anyone I know.

Rick

My second point and where I disagreed with you was that I interpreted your comments as saying that HAs and CIs are not necessary for one's QOL and that in my opinion, if you do indeed value access to sound as a part of your QOL equation then, for many they are important and necessary as the means for them to gain that access to sound.

I believe you would admire my DD as she has a tremendous outlook on life and probably one of the best sense of self and self confidence of anyone I know.

Rick

Nice attempt at deflecting. We all seen what you said.

Welcome back pfh: how was your tricycle trip in the snow? Going out again for a short period of time say 6 months? Real exercise- just finished mine for the day!

Next: Cochlear Implant exercise!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Only an audist would say the bolded. Only a freaking audist woulds say that quality of life is impossible to achieve without sounds. I do not know what else to say except that you are like a broken record.

Not again, it like going into circles. Lot of people rely on hearing far too much when they could use eyes or touch equally. It scares them to think if they lose their hearing.

Look at that folks.....

Now, Ron, you said you went through life being deaf mostly... All these years you used accessibility features? Are you saying that we should PAY for our set-backs to the society, either way? I had respect for you but now after seeing that kind of garbage I'm starting to doubt it.

Holy crap! Whoa, hold on a second... I'm hearing, but, I'm jumping in here as well as someone who uses accomodations of a different kind... It's not about a single person, Ron. It's about the community as a WHOLE. D/deaf people need and DESERVE those things you claim they don't have a right to "scream" about. Oh, yes, they do! Choosing to be implanted with a CI does NOT change that. I don't think I should have to tell you why, but, I will... A CI does NOT make one's hearing equal to a hearing person's. Therefore, the CI'ed individual has every right to demand accomodations if they need it.

Get over yourself.

Isn't slinging the "term-audist view" nothing more than a glib "putdown"-correct Jillio not psychologize of course.

Isn't this thread ostensible a discussion on whether or not to get an implant?

How does whether "some people" like or dislike Rick enter into that decision? Is Rick asked to pay for the operation- for some?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Why would you see the term "audist view" as a put down. It is simply a term descriptive of one's view of deafness.

There is no such word as "psychologize" and you have misused the word "ostensible"

Audist views are related to the decision to implant; particularly when it comes to the implantation of children. I guess your fluid thinking is not in operation today.:cool2:

We were not discussing whether "some people" liked or disliked Rick. We were discussing whether Rick disliked the vast majority if deaf on this forum. You have not been around long enough to know the history he has on this board. Perhaps you should refrain from commenting on every post I make, particularly when they do not concern you and you obviously are not able to understand what I am posting.

And, please, stop using words that you are not familiar with just to appear to be educated and informed and stop making up words. It isn't working. In fact, it is backfiring, and serves to reduce the small amount of credibility you would have otherwise.

lol at this entire thread.. Some of you just have alot of internal issues that need taken care of. WHO gives a flying crap what a person decide's will improve their quailty of life. What direct impact does that have on your life? Is it money.. Is it a nice house.. is it your car.. is it that you value hearing or not.. Wow such judgement's placed on a person's personal choices they make in life. A person's quality of life is their decision soley based on THEIR LIFE not yours or anyone else's for that matter.. Good grief!

Pot meet kettle.:laugh2:

Grendel - Read it again.... BecLak said this: You can get the same QOL either way - hearing or not. Simple. Then Rick comes in and says that is "factually incorrect" alongside with quoting that specific statement.

Do you actually agree with him?

If your daughter decides to stop wearing her CI's - do you think her QOL will drop?

It is absolutely amazing how those who are hearing, and supposedly so well versed in English, consistently misread and misinterpret posts. I'm beginning to think that it is an intentional twisting of words in an attempt to discount anything other than their viewpoint.:cool2:

Rick

Consistently audist.

Actually, its seen what I wrote.

Actually, it is saw what I wrote.

But grammar lesson aside, your message is loud and clear; visable in black and white. You have an audist perspective and believe that those who do not perceive sound are inferior to those who do.

Thank you for all the helpful info. I too was tested for the CI back in middle sch. but was told my hearing wasn't bad enough, I would have loved to have gone through the surgery then, than now. I heard at first it may sound like a robot, but it's better than being deaf in that ear. I am so glad for a comunity like this one who can help me understand what to expect and what the journey will be like!!

loves73animals,

Glad that you find the forum helpful! When will you be getting your CI?

In end one's one's journey in dealing with "deafness/hearing loss" is very specific to you-loves73animals.
As zeebadee2010 thread has shown.

As other threads show there is multiple differing responses.

Just human variability.

Good luck in your continuing journey- considering various comments-to date.

Implanted Advanced Bionics- Harmony activated Aug/07

Since I started this discussion and read some of your replies to some of the things I said in my fallow up posts. I've done a lot of thinking. I was wrong on some of the things I said and especially how I said them. For that I apologize.

But, I do feel that when deciding to or not to get a CI. One should consider all aspects of life that will effect. It's not just about "Will I be able to hear or not". For me the biggest joys I got from being able to hear again are really the little things like being able to call my friends and family. Being able to call someone for help when needed. Listening to music. Hearing small sounds around me. Talking to someone who does not know ASL. It's so amazing to me when I'm at the store and the clerk asks me a question when I'm not looking and be able to hear it and respond. And being able to watch TV shows and movies (At home, on computer and in theaters) even when there are no captioning for them. Captioning still makes it easier and I use them when ever I can. Without the captioning I still miss a lot. But I can hear enough to fallow along. And that's such a great feeling. I use to spend hours looking for captions for movies to download.

So, What I really wanted to say is that now that I got my CI and can hear. It's so amazing to be able to do these things. So if you're considering getting a CI and they tell you that you have a good chance to have good results with them. Know that the seemingly little things that I mentioned above might be possible for you too and that's something you should consider as a possible plus to the decision.

So I apologize for my comment about "Not having a right to complain". We still have a right to complain. I really don't know why I said it that way. Must have been a mood. But knowing how much I'm loving my CI and how it's effected my life. I want others to feel this and experience what I've been experiencing this year too.

Ron Jaxon

Since I started this discussion and read some of your replies to some of the things I said in my fallow up posts. I've done a lot of thinking. I was wrong on some of the things I said and especially how I said them. For that I apologize.

But, I do feel that when deciding to or not to get a CI. One should consider all aspects of life that will effect. It's not just about "Will I be able to hear or not". For me the biggest joys I got from being able to hear again are really the little things like being able to call my friends and family. Being able to call someone for help when needed. Listening to music. Hearing small sounds around me. Talking to someone who does not know ASL. It's so amazing to me when I'm at the store and the clerk asks me a question when I'm not looking and be able to hear it and respond. And being able to watch TV shows and movies (At home, on computer and in theaters) even when there are no captioning for them. Captioning still makes it easier and I use them when ever I can. Without the captioning I still miss a lot. But I can hear enough to fallow along. And that's such a great feeling. I use to spend hours looking for captions for movies to download.

So, What I really wanted to say is that now that I got my CI and can hear. It's so amazing to be able to do these things. So if you're considering getting a CI and they tell you that you have a good chance to have good results with them. Know that the seemingly little things that I mentioned above might be possible for you too and that's something you should consider as a possible plus to the decision.

So I apologize for my comment about "Not having a right to complain". We still have a right to complain. I really don't know why I said it that way. Must have been a mood. But knowing how much I'm loving my CI and how it's effected my life. I want others to feel this and experience what I've been experiencing this year too.

Ron Jaxon

I appreciate your apology.

Also I appreciate your happiness with being able to hear and I understand that it does a lot. The part that bothers me about CI's in general is that the marketing is centered strongly on the "Deaf can't" without the ci's.

That's where the resistance comes in from, not the individual experiences like yours.

But again, I appreciate your apology.

I appreciate your apology.

Also I appreciate your happiness with being able to hear and I understand that it does a lot. The part that bothers me about CI's in general is that the marketing is centered strongly on the "Deaf can't" without the ci's.

That's where the resistance comes in from, not the individual experiences like yours.

But again, I appreciate your apology.

I echo your sentiment, PFH.

Back