State Supreme Court Says 10 Commandments Have to Go

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Since 2012, a battle has been raging over a 10 Commandments monument on the grounds of the State Capitol in Oklahoma. The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that the monument must be removed.

The monument stands a whopping 6 feet tall and is made of stone. Practically as soon as the monument was erected, it was challenged by people who argue that it violates the establishment clause of the constitution.

Supporters of the monument claim it was paid for by private funds, and that lawmakers in the largely conservative state supported it. They argued that the monument marked a historic event and was not meant to serve any religious agenda.

The Satanic Temple and the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster applied for permission to erect their own privately funded monuments on Capitol grounds.

The Oklahoma Supreme Court settled the matter. They ruled that the monument is in conflict with the Oklahoma Constitution, which bans using state property for the benefit of any religion.

The Satanic Temple immediately withdrew their application for a stone monument to Satan. A spokesperson for the group believes the court ‘ruled "appropriately’, but they’re a bit disappointed they won’t get to proceed with the lawsuit they’ve been mounting against the state for ignoring their application.

http://www.newsiosity.com/articles/society/state-supreme-court-says-10-commandments-have-go

I don't understand the 10 commandments are the basis of every single religion and in general for human society to exist,not that I religious just seems odd when Bush was into stone owl worship.
You really got spaghetti religion.oh well big country you going have nut cases but Oklahoma seem have good % of them

I don't understand the 10 commandments are the basis of every single religion and in general for human society to exist,not that I religious just seems odd when Bush was into stone owl worship.
You really got spaghetti religion.oh well big country you going have nut cases but Oklahoma seem have good % of them

They are NOT the basis of every single religion...they are of judiasm, which infkuenced obviously christianity as well as islam..they are a fundemental to monotheism thats it..
Hindusim, buddhism, paganism of all stripes western or easteen, ani,ism, so on so forth do not have them..as well as lucifarians,satanism, so on...or any fsith of loke kind dedicated to isolate intelegence, do not have them..besides an opposite perhaps..mosy religions are not sprung from them..anyway.

Caz, there is no 10 commandments (like that in Abrahamic religions) in Indic religions. It is a completely different mindset.

What happened was that they were confronted with the issue of having every single religion put their representation on the Capitol grounds. Can you imagine every religion taking advantage of the situation and filling up the entire grounds with monuments, or failing that, they just send in applications (even if the page is removed from the web site, but distributed among dissenters) on a regular basis to tie up staff and make it frustrating to have to throw out the mail, distracting them from the work at hand? Instead, the solution is "hands-off" per the first amendment.

I don't know if it can be seen this way, but a situation in India is that there is "minorityism," in that concessions are made to a very vocal, agitative group at the expense of everyone else. I'm speaking of Muslims as a minority group, which the government has handled with kid gloves because they're afraid to upset them. Instead, they could tell them, "No. You do not cross the line. These rules are for EVERYONE. Cross them, you deal with the consequences. Take it to court for repeal, deal with it, or leave the country, but don't be trying to commit violence just because you don't like the way everyone else does things."

An example is the "Keep Off Grass" sign in a park. Everyone is supposed to follow that to protect the grass, which can't stand even moderate foot traffic without results. Why should one group just cross the grass and not have to follow the rule and say "It doesn't apply to us?"

This is what we have to watch out for.

Back