Do we need more Deaf Psychologists? Why or why not?

OldeWolf

Reaction score
I am at a cross road where I could either start a new path into Engineering (to which I have no Math background per se but love science just as much as I love the science of human behaviors) or go for a Masters in Psychology. I currently have a Community Psychology degree which I consider to be a worthless piece of crap degree.

Now to the questions I have about justifying the Psychology Masters degree:

1. Do we have a serious need for a Psychologist?
1.a. What kind do we need?
1.b. Where? How about Minnesota where I currently live?

2. What should I keep in mind when deciding between the two possible career paths?
2.a. Are there any Pro and Cons for both fields?

I'll come up with more questions for which I am sure more will come along in due time.

Meanwhile, feel free to ask me anything as I'm an open book and am very committed to finding a final answer to this dilemma of mine.

I've a bachelor degree in Deaf counseling and it's not worth much, if any. I don't feel it's worth the hassle pursuing masters in counseling.

OldeWolf,

If you're thinking of Engineering, you need to seriously need to up your math skills or make sure you have a good aptitude for math. I got washed out partly for this reason. I simply didn't have the patience to slow down and learn the math step-by-step.

However, I have noticed something... What about history of engineering, especially around the world? Most people don't know it, but a lot of mathematics, engineering, navigation, etc. came to Europe by way of the Muslim traders, who in turn learned it from the Indians in India, what is now Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc. If you wanted, you could probably become a student in Saṃskṛtam (Sanskrit) and pick up a load of untranslated works on Indic engineering material (people in the Indic world can pretty much read it with a little help, but there's a vast amount of work that hasn't been translated to European languages).

Another thought is becoming a counselor who is Hinduism based. Some westerners are beginning to feel as though western thought, western culture, etc. is lacking, and they're searching for something more. I'm in search of someone in my area who could help me with this, address some personal shortcomings I feel haven't been sufficiently addressed from the western perspective because they simply don't have the resources to help me with this.

What about, instead of engineering, go into tiny house construction/architecture/green technologies, etc?

Thanks for the replies so far!

Derek,
I could understand your view. One thing I've been told is that once a person obtains a masters degree in psychology, they are able to go ahead and take the license test to get the rights to counsel and/or diagnosis the clients among other things, boosting their pay scale up to about 80,000 a year. That is something I've been thinking about because behaviors are easy for me to understand.

~~~

DeafDrummer,
Your stance about Eastern ways of Hinduism or other similar approaches was something I was quietly thinking about and it's funny how you brought it up. If I go for a masters in Counseling, I think I will start including those kinds of perspectives into the practice itself.

Also, regarding Engineering, I've always loved Algebra and geometry. Calculus and Trigonometry has always been the hard ones because the teachers didn't really apply real life situations for me to visually remember it. I'm a visual learner in the same way that I 99% associate movie stars to what they have done in action as opposed to simply their names. Same things applies to math if that makes sense.

Also, most of my life, I have always been interested in how things works, operates, forms, etc. I even approach the assessments of human behaviors the same way, with science perspectives.

As for the History of Engineering in other countries...I'm not too interested in learning another language for sake of gleaning ancient science history. BUT it is not out of question...That is one line of thought I have never thought of before. However, it is ironic that you mentioned it as I've always been a fan of Medieval things since birth (reincarnation, perhaps?).

Welll...
We dont need or want any more shrinks, or pycolologists....they are for the most part useless, if not a negative.....
I understand since you already have a degree in psychology it makes sense to pursue to get a higher one....sure but to what end? Another degree? More personal.debt, counsiling itself ibfind to.be almost harmfull...nothing wrong with helpng others, but its ideology based for the most part, phycology even worse..
They perpetuate s plm and not look at solutions in peoples lifes...
But....
Im crazy..so....for what its worth...
As for engeneering...you need math nd ti be solid in it..we do need more Deafies in the hard sciences...sure...
If you think your made of the right stuffbfor that....
Go for it...

Last edited:
hoichi did you ever play in a group called sex pistols if not you should..
OP do it have be in States

hoichi did you ever play in a group called sex pistols if not you should..
OP do it have be in States

Doesn't have to be in the states for the Masters degree but I have to keep in mind that other countries' traditions and culture ways of handling behaviors have a high chance of not being the same as in America.

Otherwise, I'm opened to it. Got any insights about why you suggested the question?

1. Do we have a serious need for a Psychologist?
I think there is a need for psychologists (unlike what others may think).
1.a. What kind do we need?
I know that deaf schools are always posting job openings for school psychologists- just about every year many do (and some may go years without one). I don't know about other areas- there's a wide range... rehab/drug counseling, grief counseling, child/family therapy and so on. I'm seeing more offerings of online counseling but only one practice where the psychologists/counselors are deaf or hearing and know ASL.
1.b. Where? How about Minnesota where I currently live?
Everywhere- most especially smaller cities or rural type settings. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a need in Minnesota too.

2. What should I keep in mind when deciding between the two possible career paths?
2.a. Are there any Pro and Cons for both fields?

Can't help ya there unfortunately but I will say... go with the one you will think will make you happy and are passionate about, one that you can say at the end of the day (or most days) you did a good job and are willing to stay with that job for a few years.

I thought you deleted and asked yoir account to be deleted? Deafducky

I thought you deleted and asked yoir account to be deleted? Deafducky
what? Me? No.. no idea where you got that idea from. :cool2: Can't delete accounts on vBulletin forums anyway.

I did reply to somebody else wanting to delete an account today though.

:cheers:

I can't really speak to your first question, but for the second, I waffled between psychology and engineering (computer science, specifically) myself before I chose a degree. From what I learned then (got my degree in 2008, so things might be different) psychology is a tough field to break into, and until you have your own practice you don't make much money. This isn't reason enough (in my opinion) to not pursue psychology though. Engineering on the other hand has plenty of jobs available (currently) that pay well, especially in certain fields.

The math requirement (I think) for any engineering degree is intensive. For me the higher level calculus classes were torture. I was also challenged by discrete mathematics which is just so totally different. If you like Math, or can at least tolerate it and understand it, you'll be alright. Then if you make it through the program (my program had a huge drop rate) and actually learn enough, you can come out with great career options that pay well.

I ended up making the decision by weighing out the pros and cons I could find, then seriously thinking about which job I could do every single day (even on the bad days) and still go home relatively happy. I also looked to my hobbies and what I enjoyed. In the end the decision for me was easy. I have natural talent in both areas, but I realized I truly enjoy making and solving technical problems more than I enjoy counseling.

The best advice I can give is to look within to figure out what you'll be happiest doing, but do also consider the end result (the job, it's pay, hours, etc). And if at all possible have candid conversation with people doing jobs in the areas that interest you. But take all advice with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusions.

what? Me? No.. no idea where you got that idea from. :cool2: Can't delete accounts on vBulletin forums anyway.

I did reply to somebody else wanting to delete an account today though.

:cheers:

Ah...thats what it waa. I sww it. And it said. Delete my account and it had your name, must of been due to yoir reply...
All cool

I can't really speak to your first question, but for the second, I waffled between psychology and engineering (computer science, specifically) myself before I chose a degree. From what I learned then (got my degree in 2008, so things might be different) psychology is a tough field to break into, and until you have your own practice you don't make much money. This isn't reason enough (in my opinion) to not pursue psychology though. Engineering on the other hand has plenty of jobs available (currently) that pay well, especially in certain fields.

The math requirement (I think) for any engineering degree is intensive. For me the higher level calculus classes were torture. I was also challenged by discrete mathematics which is just so totally different. If you like Math, or can at least tolerate it and understand it, you'll be alright. Then if you make it through the program (my program had a huge drop rate) and actually learn enough, you can come out with great career options that pay well.

I ended up making the decision by weighing out the pros and cons I could find, then seriously thinking about which job I could do every single day (even on the bad days) and still go home relatively happy. I also looked to my hobbies and what I enjoyed. In the end the decision for me was easy. I have natural talent in both areas, but I realized I truly enjoy making and solving technical problems more than I enjoy counseling.

The best advice I can give is to look within to figure out what you'll be happiest doing, but do also consider the end result (the job, it's pay, hours, etc). And if at all possible have candid conversation with people doing jobs in the areas that interest you. But take all advice with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusions.

Than you Nic for the thoughtful ways of looking at all this.

I like the idea and concept of math in that I'm aware of the importance and validity of it in every day life that we take for granted.

Here is what I have so far regarding pro and cons for both fields.

Psychology
~Pro~

• Natural talent in reading people and puzzling it out
  • Was told that they need more male native ASL Speakers
  • I like the idea of inspiring and helping students out if I go for school counseling because in my childhood, they were all clueless on how to handle me and I hated it.
~Con~

• I don't do well with political correctness, more so when it can get in the way of psychological healing.
  • High chance of lawsuits
  • Have to be constantly "sensitive" to clients due to political correctness side effects.
Engineering
~Pro~

• Constant amount of puzzles to work with
  • Being at the front of technological innovations
  • Science baby!
~Con~

• Highest math I have reached was pre Calculus
  • Discrimination in the Engineering workforce (as per told by several other Deaf engineering friends)
  • Instructors not linking real world events into math concepts to help me make a link between those two (but Google might now help)
I wish I took math serious in High school in the 90's (1995 to 1999) because no one told me why it was critical to learn them. They just expect you to know them and attached no reasons what so ever to them.

However, I think that if I do take math/Engineering this time round, I can use the Google to help me out, a tool I didn't have during High school and College. Also, I think my mind is a lot more mature at 35 than I was at 25, let alone at 18. I'm fairly sure that both paths will be easy for me to do, just one will take longer to complete than the others.

I cannot however stop the feeling that I'm missing a critical point of view some where that will help me tip the balance in favor of whichever sides...

YES some new deafies need em. To help em to adjust when you lose your hearing

I cannot however stop the feeling that I'm missing a critical point of view some where that will help me tip the balance in favor of whichever sides...
I'd really recommend talking to people in the fields you're interested in to help tip the scales. With the internet it's easy to find people willing to share their experiences, but meeting people in person would be better if you can arrange it.

As for the math, if you go that route, I'd recommend taking a physics or structural engineering class to help make the math more grounded in reality, even if it isn't required. From my experience math courses are typically taught very dry and without really covering the real world application of the math. It's part of why I loathed calc at first, but after a physics class it all felt more useful. The internet is a good resource too. Khan Academy has great math and physics videos with good captions and they're all free.

It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do. I spent 10 years or so mulling over it while I worked a job I knew I didn't want to make a career out of. I also took a wide array of classes at a community college (where tuition isn't stupid expensive) to help me find something (that's where I narrowed it down to CS and Physch, but only after considering package engineering, actuary, architecture, journalism, teaching, economics, and a couple others I can't recall right now).

I think it's ok to not know, and I think it's ok to take your time as long as you have some way to support yourself in the meantime. It's also ok to change your mind any time you want to. Entering a new field when older can be tough depending on the field, though.

I got a late start as a developer, but I come across younger than I am so it wasn't a big deal for me. I have seen the age discrimination against older devs though (anything over 40 now seems to be regarded as ancient in this field). But I've also seen some much older devs mesh really well with younger devs. I think it's about attitude and fitting into the culture (which is strong) more than it is about age or anything else. This is specific to software development/engineering culture, other engineering areas will have their own culture with its own challenges.

I hope some of this helps, but like all advice, do take it for what it is. It's all mostly just one perspective (mine) based on my experiences. I've found that as people age they do also tend to remember the better parts and leave out the struggles. My path was slow and thinking back on it I am really glad I took my time, but at the time, I know I had bouts of depression, anxiety, and lower self esteem while figuring everything out. I was also left behind by friends who moved on to further stages in life, but as a result I made new mostly younger friends which in turn made me feel younger, I think.

To hijack a little (sorry)-

I got a late start as a developer, but I come across younger than I am so it wasn't a big deal for me. I have seen the age discrimination against older devs though (anything over 40 now seems to be regarded as ancient in this field). But I've also seen some much older devs mesh really well with younger devs. I think it's about attitude and fitting into the culture (which is strong) more than it is about age or anything else. This is specific to software development/engineering culture, other engineering areas will have their own culture with its own challenges.

I confirm just about all of that. I also got a late start after years in a social service type role. I am not a dev (I still like learning programming stuff though :) ) but my experience is on the QA Tester side and am right now looking for work again- and suspect my age may have something (at least one of the things..) to do with the difficulties this time around even though I look younger than I am (fooled a few people in my last job lol). Have seen both older and younger testers and a lot more I am guessing H1B employees...

OldeWolfe: one way to test if you should become a "counsellor" is to review multiple comments here in Alldeaf.com.

What would you say to those seeking your counsel?

It might give you insight on suitablity to continue your education in one area VS the other.

Good luck.

Back