Deaf School or Oral School?

I don't know about that. it was her job to make us realize that there was a problem with our development and help us fix that. i can now speak without tripping over words as much as i did.

That's great for a teacher to help a students awareness about how they are articulating a word and the proper pronunciation.

When you wrote that she said you were "speaking impaired" my
Mind jumped to that being a negative term when she was just being "factual" in her mind.

I just have a particular distaste for the word impaired, especially when used in the context of a deaf person being "speaking impaired."

I suppose a bitch slap in that scenario might have been a bit much- maybe a good talk would have done the trick.

That's great for a teacher to help a students awareness about how they are articulating a word and the proper pronunciation.

Mind jumped to that being a negative term when she was just being "factual" in her mind.

I just have a particular distaste for the word impaired, especially when used in the context of a deaf person being "speaking impaired."

I suppose a bitch slap in that scenario might have been a bit much- maybe a good talk would have done the trick.

I know u weren't saying it literally. Of course u won't go up to a teacher and slap him her. I just wish there was a way to educated all these teachers who have no working knowledge of deaf children and make these kinds of comments to them. Then the child internalizes those negative labels or comments. It happens too often. I had wanted to be a consultant to public schools providing in

I know u weren't saying it literally. Of course u won't go up to a teacher and slap him her. I just wish there was a way to educated all these teachers who have no working knowledge of deaf children and make these kinds of comments to them. Then the child internalizes those negative labels or comments. It happens too often. I had wanted to be a consultant to public schools providing in

I agree it would be nice if the staff had better knowledge about the ramifications of being DHH, both academically and socially. I'd say that's one of the biggest problems with mainstreaming. Often times they (the teachers) just don't get it.

Oh yeah I hear you. But the thing is, that mute is not a good term and the term nonverbal seems mostly to refer as an euphanism for kids who are severely or profoundly mentally handicapped who cannot talk at ALL! Maybe there needs to be a better word.

I agree it would be nice if the staff had better knowledge about the ramifications of being DHH, both academically and socially. I'd say that's one of the biggest problems with mainstreaming. Often times they (the teachers) just don't get it.

I dont know if you know this. When I was studying for my special Ed Degree at Arizona State University, I didnt get it on how to educate deaf/hoh children.

Deaf Ed at graduate school at Gallaudet University taught me that. I am so glad I went there because if I didnt, I would have the intensive knowledge as I have now.

People say shitty stuff about Gallaudet...but they dont really know that much. I went to one of the top notch state universities (Arizona State University) and then to Gallaudet. I learned a lot more from Gallaudet about my own major than I did at ASU.

I love ASU and I am proud that I went there but I made the right decision not to get my Master's at University of Arizona, another top-notch college, because I knew I couldnt learn about Deaf Ed without going to the college that is for the Deaf.

Since this thread is about "Deaf school or Oral school?", I'd like to link you (who haven't seen it yet) up to the iDeafNews about one of the schools for the Deaf. It shows how happy those students look. And there are so many deaf staffs including teachers, principal(s) and superintendent. I had the same great experience (except having fewer deaf staffs) when I went to NJ school for the deaf (MKSD) and I loved it.

Where the hell are the videos regarding Oral/mainstream schools to show how happy their deaf students look?

Since this thread is about "Deaf school or Oral school?", I'd like to link you (who haven't seen it yet) up to the iDeafNews about one of the schools for the Deaf. It shows how happy those students look. And there are so many deaf staffs including teachers, principal(s) and superintendent. I had the same great experience (except having fewer deaf staffs) when I went to NJ school for the deaf (MKSD) and I loved it.

Where the hell are the videos regarding Oral/mainstream schools to show how happy their deaf students look?

You were so lucky to grow up feeling happy and safe in an educational environment.

I dont know if you know this. When I was studying for my special Ed Degree at Arizona State University, I didnt get it on how to educate deaf/hoh children.

Deaf Ed at graduate school at Gallaudet University taught me that. I am so glad I went there because if I didnt, I would have the intensive knowledge as I have now.

People say shitty stuff about Gallaudet...but they dont really know that much. I went to one of the top notch state universities (Arizona State University) and then to Gallaudet. I learned a lot more from Gallaudet about my own major than I did at ASU.

I love ASU and I am proud that I went there but I made the right decision not to get my Master's at University of Arizona, another top-notch college, because I knew I couldnt learn about Deaf Ed without going to the college that is for the Deaf.

That's so funny. I obtained a BS degree in Special Education (Deaf studies) at University of Arizona, then went to NTID/RIT to study teaching, but I realized it was not for me, but I had an interesting experience at NTID/RIT. I did not expect to get TONS of homework assignments in each short quarter, but luckily for me, I had quarter system at my HS years ago and I got used to it. Unfortunately, it is not for other students to deal with quarter system. LOL :laugh2:

If MSSD is the model for what deaf schools should/could be, we may be seeing more schools that incorporate bilingual and oral approaches in one facility, maybe the best of all worlds, maybe not.

Question:

5. Forge new partnerships to advance the university by working with the District to create a "MSSD/Bilingual High School" composed of deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students in the current location of the Hamilton School of the D.C. Public Schools district. The Model Secondary School for the Deaf (MSSD) would relocate to this space and its current structure would be replaced by a large park on the northern end of the campus with sports fields and other recreation areas. These areas would primarily serve the proposed MSSD/Bilingual High School, but would also be open to the surrounding community, thus creating an enduring tie to a community currently without open spaces of any kind. Such a park would give the community what it has never had-an open space for park land for the Ivy City and Trinidad communities.

Where does it say oral? Or did you just put that there?

I would encourage you to put her in a deaf school. You will be providing her with a education where she will be able to use ASL and not have gaps in her learning from struggling to learn using her weakest sense (hearing). You will also be providing her with security (going to school with children like herself and not be left out of anything like so many deaf kids are in hearing schools, and also she will mkae lifetime friends who will understand her on a level where her hearing peers could never! I would also encourage you to learn ASL as soon as possible.

I am in a ASL class at the local community college. ..I have a tour schedualed for this Friday at Freemont school for Deaf. My ASL teacher actually teaches middle school at the school for deaf

I would encourage you to put her in a deaf school. You will be providing her with a education where she will be able to use ASL and not have gaps in her learning from struggling to learn using her weakest sense (hearing). You will also be providing her with security (going to school with children like herself and not be left out of anything like so many deaf kids are in hearing schools, and also she will mkae lifetime friends who will understand her on a level where her hearing peers could never! I would also encourage you to learn ASL as soon as possible.

Exactly!!!!! I don't understand the assimulation/auditory verbal mentality of educating oral kids. Yes, it's awesome for kids to have oral skills.....BUT most kids even at Deaf Schools get pretty intense speech therapy. I really think the auditory verbal folks can never ever understand the major downsides of their methodology. Very few people are saying that all dhh kids need to go voice off, and ONLY SIGN. We're saying we need BOTH....ASL and to be educated with dhh peers.

My parents are Deaf, so my home language was ASL, but I was mainstreamed starting in Kindergarten.

Really? Have to admit to being surprised at learning that. How come you didn't go to a deaf school?

You're unusual in the sense that you are an implanted deaf son of deaf parents who was mainstreamed. I'm very interested in hearing your story.

I know several deaf parents who are asl users to send their deaf kids to mainstreamed, depending on where they lives due to the education system or state.

i didn't read anywhere if you have a CI or not. if you do have ci then how old did you get CI? so where did you grow up? it helps me to know where or what state provides so i understand where you are coming from. :)

I know several deaf parents who are asl users to send their deaf kids to mainstreamed, depending on where they lives due to the education system or state.

i didn't read anywhere if you have a CI or not. if you do have ci then how old did you get CI? so where did you grow up? it helps me to know where or what state provides so i understand where you are coming from. :)

He has two cochlear implants: http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/88040-im-new-here.html#post1926820

He didn't say if his parents implanted him when he was young or if he chose to get implants for himself.

Back