"Deaf and Dumb"?

I was doing a research on "Deaf and Dumb" and found an organization that advertises "Glasgow Society for the Education of Deaf and Dumb." Don't you guys think that is pretty offensive?

Glasgow Society for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb

"Deaf and Dumb"?!? Isn't that really outdated? I mean, who still uses that term? (Besides my father, but he doesn't count.) Yeah, I take offense to that. I'm not dumb - even if I couldn't speak. :mad:

Nah, Im not offensive at all...hearin ppl see deaf as dumb doesnt mean we're dumb. dont take it personal...doesnt mean anything.

"Dumb" doesnt actually mean unintelligent it means mute, its just a really old term so dont take offence.

Repeating old terms "dumb" just shows how "dumb" one is-these days. Reaction: ignore!

Free money! Be very offended! Then those who understand the history of the language can have plenty of funding for education. :)

"Dumb" doesnt actually mean unintelligent it means mute, its just a really old term so dont take offence.

I take offense to it, but not because of the origins of the word. I understand the origins of the term "dumb". But, I am sensitive towards the word because I am constantly bullied and harassed, being called the "Deaf and Dumb girl" all the time - but those people who harass me mean the word "dumb" to mean unintelligent and stupid.

THAT is why I don't like the term. I am perfectly intelligent, thank you very much.

Offended?....Damn right I would be offended...Deaf & Dumb is still being spoken/used today...and the last person that referred me as such got a tongue-lashing, and a little education. I even quizzed that person as to "why" a deaf person would be considered "dumb" also.....

My school used to be called "Western PA School for the Deaf and dumb". They removed "And Dumb" long time ago. Thank god it was long before my tenure at WPSD.

Hearing people's definition of dumb means can't talk verbally. If hearing people still think this way, they are just plain stupid.

I do know what "dumb" means. I don't think anyone realizes that using the term "Deaf and Dumb" encourages mircoaggressions and mircoinsults. Every deaf person we have had met is a "mute"? Can they speak for themselves? What about hard of hearing and deaf people who have learned how to speak and lipread? Are they still "mute" or "dumb"? Why do people labeled them the term "deaf and dumb?"

How many of you guys know what the word "micro-aggression" means? I learned it from taking culturally diverse on theory and practice class. The definition of mirco-aggression is "brief, everyday exchanges that send denigrating messages" to a target group such as people of color, women, and gays (Sue et al,,2007). If a person is showing mirco-aggressions toward a gay person, it is often subtle in nature and can be manifested in the verbal, nonverbal, visual, or behavioral realm. The person might be done it intentionally or unintentionally (Sue et al., 2007).

Mircoaggressions are

1. tend to be subtle, unintentional, and indirect.
2. often occur in situations where there are alternative explanations
3. represent unconscious and ingrained biased beliefs and attitudes
4. are more likely to occur when people pretend not to notice differences, thereby denying that race, gender, or sexual orientation had anything to do with their actions (sue et al.,2007)

A person can be mircoinsult if she or he made comments or behaves that convey rudeness or insensitivity or demean a person's racial heritage identity, gender identity, or sexual orientation identity. How many people have done this? I believe that many of us have done it intentionally or unintentionally.

Sue, D.W., Bucceri,j.mLin,A,. nadal, K,. Torino, G. (2007). Racial microaggresions and the Asian American experience. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 13, 72-81.

I believe that a long time ago hearing people thought deaf people were not smart so they called them deaf and dumb. If some people still call us deaf and dumb, that's a prejudice against us.

It would be more accurate to assert that any person "labeling DEAF persons-dumb" shows that person is in actual fact "dumb" for babbling nonsense!

Can one interpolate from the experiences of some "Asian Americans" to the DEAF-world wide?

What would DEAF "Asian Americans" consider-concerning the above "study"?

A minor point as a DEAF Canadian why would the above be of any interest?

More discussions in Sociology.

From the NAD.org website:

Deaf and Dumb -- A relic from the medieval English era, this is the granddaddy of all negative labels pinned on deaf and hard of hearing people. The Greek philosopher, Aristotle, pronounced us “deaf and dumb,” because he felt that deaf people were incapable of being taught, of learning, and of reasoned thinking. To his way of thinking, if a person could not use his/her voice in the same way as hearing people, then there was no way that this person could develop cognitive abilities. (Source: Deaf Heritage, by Jack Gannon, 1980)

In later years, “dumb” came to mean “silent.” This definition still persists, because that is how people see deaf people. The term is offensive to deaf and hard of hearing people for a number of reasons. One, deaf and hard of hearing people are by no means “silent” at all. They use sign language, lip-reading, vocalizations, and so on to communicate. Communication is not reserved for hearing people alone, and using one’s voice is not the only way to communicate. Two, “dumb” also has a second meaning: stupid. Deaf and hard of hearing people have encountered plenty of people who subscribe to the philosophy that if you cannot use your voice well, you don’t have much else “upstairs,” and have nothing going for you. Obviously, this is incorrect, ill-informed, and false. Deaf and hard of hearing people have repeatedly proved that they have much to contribute to the society at large.

In other countries, especially South Africa, that term is still used from what I've seen.

Back