Zebadee's Activation.

Zebadee,

You should have a personal audio cable as well as a mains isolation cable with kit you were given. These would probably work better than headphones. Be sure to ask your audi.

Oh that makes sense.. I guess i'll have to see if the guy i'm working with has any XLR to 3.5mm..

Talk to you CI Audie before you do anything ok ?

You need to make sure that you connect in a SAFE way as you can damage the processor BIG TIME if you try to just "retrofit something".

Your CI Audie will be able to properly explain how to use the DAI cable, and options that you can use to safely and properly use audio equipment with your CI.

On option is if the headsets you use are wireless FM with an attached headset the plugs in via a 3.5mm jack - you should be able to use a CI DAI cable to plug directly into the FM receiver box. Also some headsets have an Aux 3.5mm jack on them - you could connect the DAI cable to that 3.5mm headphone jack and connect it to your processor.

It's VERY important that you talk to your audie - give them specific scenarios, if possible email/text the people you work with so you can get the exact make and model of the headsets etc that you're using etc so that you and your CI Audie can find ways to SAFELY use your CI with the devices or find "work arounds".

Remember - your processor now is your "ear", and because it's electrical in nature, it's much more "fragile" and susceptible to damage etc than "natural ears". You need to be very aware of how and what you "connect" to, as well as things like static electricity (ie plastic playground equipment etc, plastic ladders can wipe the map due to electro-static)

I know a few people who, if they live in a dry climate, or in the winter keep some "bounce dryer sheets" in their pockets to "wipe down" their clothing (if they wear a hat the hat and their hair as well), and the processor to prevent static buildup that "shocks" the unit and can wipe the map.

One thing you specifically will need to be careful with is making sure that all the sound stuff is well grounded, and that YOU make sure that you're not accumulating static on your body (which will discharge and "zap" you & possibly the processor when you touch metal etc). One practical suggestion I have for when you're working in an concert/audio setting or in a high static zone is using ESD or anti-static footwear such as THIS which should help minimize the risk of electrostatic charges wiping your map.

Hope that helps - glad things are going well so far

You need to make sure that you connect in a SAFE way as you can damage the processor BIG TIME if you try to just "retrofit something".

Your CI Audie will be able to properly explain how to use the DAI cable, and options that you can use to safely and properly use audio equipment with your CI.

On option is if the headsets you use are wireless FM with an attached headset the plugs in via a 3.5mm jack - you should be able to use a CI DAI cable to plug directly into the FM receiver box. Also some headsets have an Aux 3.5mm jack on them - you could connect the DAI cable to that 3.5mm headphone jack and connect it to your processor.

It's VERY important that you talk to your audie - give them specific scenarios, if possible email/text the people you work with so you can get the exact make and model of the headsets etc that you're using etc so that you and your CI Audie can find ways to SAFELY use your CI with the devices or find "work arounds".

Remember - your processor now is your "ear", and because it's electrical in nature, it's much more "fragile" and susceptible to damage etc than "natural ears". You need to be very aware of how and what you "connect" to, as well as things like static electricity (ie plastic playground equipment etc, plastic ladders can wipe the map due to electro-static)

I know a few people who, if they live in a dry climate, or in the winter keep some "bounce dryer sheets" in their pockets to "wipe down" their clothing (if they wear a hat the hat and their hair as well), and the processor to prevent static buildup that "shocks" the unit and can wipe the map.

One thing you specifically will need to be careful with is making sure that all the sound stuff is well grounded, and that YOU make sure that you're not accumulating static on your body (which will discharge and "zap" you & possibly the processor when you touch metal etc). One practical suggestion I have for when you're working in an concert/audio setting or in a high static zone is using ESD or anti-static footwear such as THIS which should help minimize the risk of electrostatic charges wiping your map.

We just left the audi place, and she said I was doing well with the CI, however I just now got this... But I'll say that we are using a intercom system that uses XLR cable to transmit power and audio, both ways.

Any suggestions for this? The guy i'm working with is very knowledgeable in a lot of different things, so I'll give him an email and se what he says.. I think he can think of a way to make it work, if nothing else i'll wear the headset and let it sit over the processor.

As for static build up and shoes, I typically wear converses, any thoughts on them, i don't know much about them, but they are the best i can do before i go to work. If nothing else i'll try and be more careful.

Should i try and touch metal as much as possible or not a lot. Which would be the better option, on the one hand i would get small shocks a lot, or I could get one big shock.

On another note, i'm doing really well, I passed her first 4 levels of tests with flying colors!

Agreed. Consult with audi before attempting any activity you have not discussed with her before.

Glad to know first day went so well.

Zebadee,

Glad you are progressively obtaining your goals. I wish you all the best obtaining that quality of life for yourself in your chosen profession. Good choice for you.

Zebadee, wow, congratulation, I'm so happy for you.
What do you hear now, can you understand when your mom or friends talk to you, or do you just hear sound and not speech?

Zebadee, wow, congratulation, I'm so happy for you.
What do you hear now, can you understand when your mom or friends talk to you, or do you just hear sound and not speech?

I can actually hear a lot. And understand a lot for that matter. My audiologist was very impressed with me. I went through her first 4 levels of speech understanding. And after the first day of activation I called my sister and was able to understand her..

So it's going really well.

And about the consulting my audi thing, I emailed her and she said to get the AC power safe adapter for my personal audio cable. I don't think one of those will get here in time, but the guy i work with is going to make a wireless com set for me to use. Should work out fine!

We just left the audi place, and she said I was doing well with the CI, however I just now got this... But I'll say that we are using a intercom system that uses XLR cable to transmit power and audio, both ways.

Any suggestions for this? The guy i'm working with is very knowledgeable in a lot of different things, so I'll give him an email and se what he says.. I think he can think of a way to make it work, if nothing else i'll wear the headset and let it sit over the processor.

As for static build up and shoes, I typically wear converses, any thoughts on them, i don't know much about them, but they are the best i can do before i go to work. If nothing else i'll try and be more careful.

Should i try and touch metal as much as possible or not a lot. Which would be the better option, on the one hand i would get small shocks a lot, or I could get one big shock.

On another note, i'm doing really well, I passed her first 4 levels of tests with flying colors!

Glad things are going well!

Can you get me the make/model (style) of the exact headset units you're using ?? I might be able to get some information for you (or compatible devices etc) - as I said I've worked in the Pro Audio field (retail, recording, mixing&mastering,etc) for a long time now and have a number of excellent resources and contacts.

Because connecting things to your CI, as well as electrostatic issues are such an important issues, which have the potential of damaging the map/processor - you really need to discuss it with your CI Audie ... email him/her and ask exactly what you should do, what to avoid etc.

I would strongly advise that you don't start connecting anything to the CI without talking to (emailing) your CI Audie and explaining EXACTLY what you want to be able to do (preferably supplying make & model info for the item you want to connect) because while DAI connections are safe to connect to things such as MP3 players and computer which come with built in head phone jacks ... I'd be extremely caution about connecting anything that required an adaptor (ie XLR to 3.5mm TRS jack) espeically if connecting to something that plugs into a wall outlet (directly or indirectly) as it's important that you not only use the right cable (you need to use the one with the circuit breaker in it) but also how to safely connect it and IF it's safe to connect at all.

Once you've had the CI for a while (months, years) you'll have a better understanding of what is safe and what isn't.

The things to always keep at the foremost of your mind is "Is this safe? Is it possible that it might wipe the processor map/damage the processor? Is it possible that this might cause static electricity or a power spike/surge? Would it be safer for me to take off and power off the processor while doing this activity (playing on plastic slides/structures, crawling around on carpet etc), If I do "wipe" the map or make the processor inoperable what will I do (ie do you have a second processor? etc)

One other thing - in your home, one thing that is important is to make sure that you have enough humidity in the air so as to reduce the chance of electrostatic shocks. You're furnace may have an in-line humidifier ... or you may want to get one for your room, and the main living space etc. as well as a humidity gauge (if you don't have one) for your home so that you can regular the humidity and always make sure that there is enough in the air (so you don't "find out" by getting shocked when you touch a light switch etc)

If you'd rather PM me the headset etc info - feel free to do that (or if you want to chat about alarm clocks etc that may be helpful for you)

Hope this is helpful !

Can you get me the make/model (style) of the exact headset units you're using ?? I might be able to get some information for you (or compatible devices etc) - as I said I've worked in the Pro Audio field (retail, recording, mixing&mastering,etc) for a long time now and have a number of excellent resources and contacts.

Because connecting things to your CI, as well as electrostatic issues are such an important issues, which have the potential of damaging the map/processor - you really need to discuss it with your CI Audie ... email him/her and ask exactly what you should do, what to avoid etc.

I would strongly advise that you don't start connecting anything to the CI without talking to (emailing) your CI Audie and explaining EXACTLY what you want to be able to do (preferably supplying make & model info for the item you want to connect) because while DAI connections are safe to connect to things such as MP3 players and computer which come with built in head phone jacks ... I'd be extremely caution about connecting anything that required an adaptor (ie XLR to 3.5mm TRS jack) espeically if connecting to something that plugs into a wall outlet (directly or indirectly) as it's important that you not only use the right cable (you need to use the one with the circuit breaker in it) but also how to safely connect it and IF it's safe to connect at all.

Once you've had the CI for a while (months, years) you'll have a better understanding of what is safe and what isn't.

The things to always keep at the foremost of your mind is "Is this safe? Is it possible that it might wipe the processor map/damage the processor? Is it possible that this might cause static electricity or a power spike/surge? Would it be safer for me to take off and power off the processor while doing this activity (playing on plastic slides/structures, crawling around on carpet etc), If I do "wipe" the map or make the processor inoperable what will I do (ie do you have a second processor? etc)

One other thing - in your home, one thing that is important is to make sure that you have enough humidity in the air so as to reduce the chance of electrostatic shocks. You're furnace may have an in-line humidifier ... or you may want to get one for your room, and the main living space etc. as well as a humidity gauge (if you don't have one) for your home so that you can regular the humidity and always make sure that there is enough in the air (so you don't "find out" by getting shocked when you touch a light switch etc)

If you'd rather PM me the headset etc info - feel free to do that (or if you want to chat about alarm clocks etc that may be helpful for you)

Hope this is helpful !

Brilliant Post!:ty:

Yeah, I'm surprised at well i'm doing, i'm also very surprised at how it sounds. Actually I go today for the second day of activation, then i come back in two weeks to get more mapping done.. It's not that fun the mapping. It's kinda boring.
The mappings are more necessary in the beginning. Then you can get them less often over the course of time.

You may want to also keep track of the sounds. For instance, if certain sounds seem to sound a little loud and uncomfortable, the mappings can adjust them for you.

Hope this is helpful !

Basically here is what is happening, I emailed the guy i'm working with and also emailed my audi.

Audi recommended getting the cable with a breaker in it. That wouldn't get here in time... She also said I could just place the headphones over my processor.

Buttt.....
The guy i'm working with emailed back and said that he was working on a wireless kit that would work. So thats what will end up happening most likely. It will be battery powered and such.

I don't know the models of any of this stuff. Audi is off work till monday. But i think all should go well. I may not even end up needing a headset.

hi there,
well done . u sound like one of the lucky ones. this is great news.
please do tell us more. keep up the rehab.from what i read its meant to be a huge help.
best of luck in next few weeks,

I really think i'm adjusting to it well. The only thing I don't like about it is having to wear it.. This means no showers or swimming with it on.. Kinda disappointing..

I don't really know what else to say about it though..

Any Questions?

i have a q..not sure if it was ever answered..what CI do u have? med-el, AB, or Cochlear?

do u feel an overall improvement ? or is it still too early days to tell?
what was ur speech regonition scores before and after?
have u any regrets?
im due surgery in march and im still so interested and amazed at how people get on post activation.
best of luck to you

do u feel an overall improvement ? or is it still too early days to tell?
what was ur speech regonition scores before and after?
have u any regrets?
im due surgery in march and im still so interested and amazed at how people get on post activation.
best of luck to you

He was 100% hearing before - an accident made him deaf and he was implanted ASAP so he's in a different situation than those of use who were born hoh/deaf or have been hoh/dafe for a long time.

Back