Any ISL users?

Lukin

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are some International Sign Language users here. From what I've seen so far, it looks pretty darn complicated... Even though it is "heavily influenced" by ASL. There is also an Eurosign variant.

ISL is somewhat like the international "Esperanto" speakers for hearing world in equivalency.

no. not me. I m just an ASL user. I had an exchange Deaf student who came from Denmark and stayed at my house for 5 days. we taught each other a lot and it was a rich experience to learn Denmark signs. Once she and her group left and I stopped signing in Denmark.

I recall there are efforts underway to create a constructed sign language ("consignlang" as in "conlang" - constructed language), an international sign language, which if it follows the teaching methodology of Esperanto, would accomplish a few things.

1) Give you tools to help you accelerate the process of acquiring additional national/ethnic sign languages in the future, should you find yourself in Spain, Russia, Australia, and many other countries.

2) Allow you to be able to communicate on an equal footing rather than an imperial footing with other signers of ISL, regardless of their sign language. To that end, everyone would be able to retain their native ethnic language and know a second language to communicate with EVERYONE ELSE. That way, you are able to share in details the elements of your language and vice-versa without having to know how to communicate in the other person's language.

ISL is really more like a bridge language that preserves your national/ethnic/cultural background and allows you to share it much more easily than you could otherwise.

I'm an International Sign learner. I've been wanting to create a thread for it here and your post reminded me of it, so I just did it now. :)

Back