Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge is right that there is only one Messiah but she was wrong in changing the baby's name.

Of course, it's perplexing why parents want to give their children names that they don't even understand the meaning or implication of but it shouldn't be up to a judge to pick names for babies.

The only time a judge should be involved is if an adult wants to change a name in order to defraud someone or evade criminal prosecution.

That made no sense as there are people who name their kids Jesus , Adam or Mary or other names that are in the bible. Then how did the singer Madonna get to keep her name?

Whoa, another thread about religious. Im not sure if Alex would appreciate this. but IMHO I think Judge is making very sane decision.

The judge is right that there is only one Messiah but she was wrong in changing the baby's name.

Of course, it's perplexing why parents want to give their children names that they don't even understand the meaning or implication of but it shouldn't be up to a judge to pick names for babies.

The only time a judge should be involved is if an adult wants to change a name in order to defraud someone or evade criminal prosecution.

When you want to change your name you have to take out a public notice and run it the newspaper so can't do that . When I divorced my husband I did not want to keep his last name and I did not want to go back to my maiden name so I gave myself a new last name! I had to go to court to made it legal and get new a SS card . The public notice was in the paper for one day and I thought that was not a very long time.

What about the name "Jesus" given to many Hispanics?

Of course, I want freedom. But when it comes to making bad decision for a child with higher chances of being bullied by school just because of name. Parents do not own their children. Children should have the right to receiving with due respect. What if that child grew up to be atheist, and stuck with religious name, ain't good parental decision!

Weird, I thought you liked freedom.

When you want to change your name you have to take out a public notice and run it the newspaper so can't do that . When I divorced my husband I did not want to keep his last name and I did not want to go back to my maiden name so I gave myself a new last name! I had to go to court to made it legal and get new a SS card . The public notice was in the paper for one day and I thought that was not a very long time.
What I meant was if the judge didn't want to allow a name change, or if the judge wanted to change it to something else. I should have said that the judge shouldn't interfere with a name choice unless there's something fraudulent about it.

Of course, I want freedom. But when it comes to making bad decision for a child with higher chances of being bullied by school just because of name. Parents do not own their children. Children should have the right to receiving with due respect. What if that child grew up to be atheist, and stuck with religious name, ain't good parental decision!
When he's an adult he can legally change his name.

Or, he can do like my dad did. He didn't like his first or middle names, so he went by his initials.

He could have gone by a nickname .... shorten his name to .. oh, I don't knooooow ... "Messy"?

Ah, so you support courts getting involved in child raising even in the most trivial of matters. That is to my idea of freedom.

Honestly, with each American generation become less literate about the Bible, by the time baby Messiah is old enough to use his name his friends won't even have a clue what it means. I also noticed on one of the video clips that everyone was pronouncing his name "Mezz-iah." So, it will probably be even less recognizable as any connection to Jesus Christ.

Honestly, whenever someone mentions Madonna, who comes to your mind? The mother of Jesus or the singer?

It's only a matter of time before Jehovah and Yahweh become trendy baby names.

Sorry, due to some religious issues I have to move this to proper place. AD doesn't allow religious debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back