The Monroe Institute (possibly spiritual debate)

Steinhauer

Reaction score
I wasn't sure which category to put this under, and I *think* this is the closest category - mods, please move if it is in the incorrect section and apologies beforehand.

More than several years ago, I met a person who claimed to have experienced a gateway voyage. I had no idea what he was talking about, and my impression after he had explained it all to to me, was that it was a form of deep meditation. He said that he went through a "class" to experience this voyage, and the classes are offered here:

The Monroe Institute

Human consciousness is evolving, awakening to the discovery of Self. All of us are participants in the evolution of consciousness, the next great leap for humanity. We perceive ourselves to be more than just our physical bodies. We are connected to the universe through nonphysical dimensions and a holographic matrix of timeless information. Life itself is not something physical and death something spiritual. For us, life's experiences have taken on a new significance. We marvel at the wonder of an emerging perception of reality that has been here waiting for us to realize all along.

Now, I understand that this may seem really "out there" (and it certainly seemed that way to me when this guy was explaining it), but The Monroe Institute isn't the only such place of its kind in existence. It is also "accredited".

They use audio input - so I am assuming I would be SOL if I tried to go there (however, I have no intention of doing so).

What piqued my curiousity about all of this was the dreams I have experienced over the course of my lifetime. This guy was adamant that dreams are more than just dreams. :roll:

So, I dug .... a little ... deeper.

The Monroe Institute was once part of a "spin off" research facility for the Stanford Research Institute:

SRI International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and ... SRI international was once funded by the CIA to research "psychic espionage". Sounds a little crazy .... some of the research was declassified a few years ago - but the research continues.

This tells me, that if this type of research has been ongoing since the 70's, it means there is something to it.

Was Carl Jung right? Is there a collective unconscious?

edit to add more links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_E._Puthoff

http://www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pages/CIA-InitiatedRV.html

carl jung rocked
i used to read him lots
even dabbled in OBE...

You've already sent up the red flag of locked thread to the mods by "possible spiritual debate" in the title.

...Now, I understand that this may seem really "out there" (and it certainly seemed that way to me when this guy was explaining it), but The Monroe Institute isn't the only such place of its kind in existence. It is also "accredited".
In this day and time, accredited doesn't mean that the course content is "real." It just means the course meets the criteria of the accrediting agency. (Not all agencies have the same criteria.) That can include how often the class meets, how is testing done, grading and attendance policies, textbooks used, etc.

They use audio input - so I am assuming I would be SOL if I tried to go there (however, I have no intention of doing so).
Well, I guess deafies can't make that next great leap in the evolution of human consciousness. Sorry about that. ;)

... SRI international was once funded by the CIA to research "psychic espionage". Sounds a little crazy .... some of the research was declassified a few years ago - but the research continues.
Ask Beowulf about that one.

Or watch The Men Who Stare at Goats.

This tells me, that if this type of research has been ongoing since the 70's, it means there is something to it.
Yeah, it means there is job security and funding for a government project. Some civil servants found a sweet gig and know how to milk it.

In this day and time, accredited doesn't mean that the course content is "real." It just means the course meets the criteria of the accrediting agency. (Not all agencies have the same criteria.) That can include how often the class meets, how is testing done, grading and attendance policies, textbooks used, etc.

Well, I guess deafies can't make that next great leap in the evolution of human consciousness. Sorry about that. ;)

Ask Beowulf about that one.

Or watch The Men Who Stare at Goats.

Yeah, it means there is job security and funding for a government project. Some civil servants found a sweet gig and know how to milk it.

Later, later...the goats are still staring at me.

??????

Well first let me say Carl Jung was a man of amazing concepts, so Grummer , my friend right on..smile..as far as this institute...there are so many of these kinds of organizations around now it is baffling. I would definately make a huge point of the fact they have "overlooked" the deaf. It is a well lnown and documented fact ( if you are a research and like digging thru monds of materials til you find a page with out the entire thing being blacked out..lol)
our goverment along with several Eastern Block countries have been looking for and trying to produce some soled evidence to prove their theory.
I myself believe that our human brains are capable of so much more, we use only a small fraction of them. I also believe we are energy, spiritual or not , your choice, wrapped up in these vessels we call bodies. It is an interesting subject for debate. but not here..smile..Midnight♥♥♥:cool2:

The American Indians understood this concept long before we did. It is a natural part of their spiritual voyage through this earthly life.

The American Indians understood this concept long before we did. It is a natural part of their spiritual voyage through this earthly life.

I have a feeling I will get a glimpse of the Happy Hunting Grounds before I get shooed away. :giggle:

I myself believe that our human brains are capable of so much more, we use only a small fraction of them.

What? Oh god, no, not this. Is this from that stupid "people only use 10% of their brains" meme?

That's false. Humans use their entire brain, we don't have secret "locked" sections that give you superpowers or anything like that or anything else silly.

What? Oh god, no, not this. Is this from that stupid "people only use 10% of their brains" meme?

That's false. Humans use their entire brain, we don't have secret "locked" sections that give you superpowers or anything like that or anything else silly.

I don't know...

I know way too many potheads.

I don't know...

I know way too many potheads.

Hahahaha

I didn't say they used it *for* anything. But they still use the entirety of their brain, even if it's just for sitting around and saying "Duuuuuuuuude! Duuuuuude! Check out the cheetoh!"

Well first let me say Carl Jung was a man of amazing concepts, so Grummer , my friend right on..smile..as far as this institute...there are so many of these kinds of organizations around now it is baffling. I would definately make a huge point of the fact they have "overlooked" the deaf. It is a well lnown and documented fact ( if you are a research and like digging thru monds of materials til you find a page with out the entire thing being blacked out..lol)
our goverment along with several Eastern Block countries have been looking for and trying to produce some soled evidence to prove their theory.
I myself believe that our human brains are capable of so much more, we use only a small fraction of them. I also believe we are energy, spiritual or not , your choice, wrapped up in these vessels we call bodies. It is an interesting subject for debate. but not here..smile..Midnight♥♥♥:cool2:

I agree. :hug:

Son checked out from the library "The Red Book Liber Novus" by C.G. Jung. Not sure what his thoughts were, maybe he will pop in. Dashanti, where are you?

i tried reading "The Red Book", but it confused the crap outta me. when i looked it up, from what i could tell, it was basically a journal of Jung's while he was dealing with schizophrenia, i believe. so really, i cant talk much about Jung's perspective or whatever on anything. from what i read he was having a religious debate with himself. but, i only got to the first chapter...

I remember listening to some Monroe Institute CDs, and it was actually a very pleasant experience. It opens your mind...

Back