Tracfone

Parien

Reaction score
I would like to communicate Tracfone issues. Is there a thread for this? If not, can I start a new thread?

Tracfone LG500G

I bought a Tracfone LG500g. I told the company I wanted to text & email. They said I can send a text message to an email address via the Email Gateway. I cant figure out how to get this to work. If it's impossible to send email w/a LG500g, I am hoping someone knows which Tracfone model will let me send emails w/out having to log on to the Internet to send emails (I dont like Tracfone browser & it eats up minutes). Thank you for your consideration.

I bought a Tracfone LG500g. I told the company I wanted to text & email. They said I can send a text message to an email address via the Email Gateway. I cant figure out how to get this to work. If it's impossible to send email w/a LG500g, I am hoping someone knows which Tracfone model will let me send emails w/out having to log on to the Internet to send emails (I dont like Tracfone browser & it eats up minutes). Thank you for your consideration.

I'm familiar with Tracfone. I don't have that specific model of phone. Mine is a Samsung. I only text and occasionally e-mail with my phone. However, I might be able to show you how to send a text message to an e-mail address.

What I do is this: I type my message as a regular SMS text message. Then, when I go to send the message, I type in the e-mail address as the person who will receive the message - instead of a phone number. It works every time for me. It will deduct anywhere from 1.00 minutes to 2.50+ minutes - depending on how long the message is. Usually, it's around 1.50 minutes to send an e-mail message. (In sharp contrast to the usual 0.30 minutes it deducts to send a regular text message.) You can also enter an e-mail address into your contacts list, and when you go to send the text message to the e-mail address, select the e-mail address via the contacts list. The message will arive at the e-mail address pretty quickly. All of this happens WITHOUT using the Tracfone browser. (I agree; the Tracfone browser eats up A LOT of minutes.)

This method will also work if you have a camera phone, and you want to e-mail a picture to an e-mail address. I do this pretty frequently, and it works great! You just send a multimedia message to the e-mail address.

Is this clear? Sorry; it's late at night, haha. I'll come back tomorrow and make this more clear... :)

Thank you MintyOreo. I can now send a text as an email. But I still cannot set up "real" email on my TracFone LG500g. When I bought the phone, they told me that I can set up "real" email on the phone (like the BlackBerry) and they also told me that the TracFone LG500g is TTY compatible. But that does not seem to be true. When I do not have access to a computer, I need to check my email but I cannot figure out how to log on to Windows Live with my Tracfone. So I am wondering: Does anyone know how to log on to Windows Live with a Tracfone LG500g? When I use the browser to go to Windows Live, I cannot get into my email.

TracFone Email: Thank You MintyOreo

Thank you MintyOreo. I can now send a text to an email address. When I bought the TracFone LG500g they told me that I could set up "real" email on the phone (like a BlackBerry) and that the phone was TTY compatible. This does not seem to be true. When I am not near a computer, I need to check email but I have not figured out how to log on to Windows Live on the LG500g. I am wondering: Does anyone know how to log on to Windows Live with an LG500g? When I use the browser I can get to Windows Live sign-in. But I cannot sign in to my account.

almost went for tracfone. SUCKS! Limit on text etc... Forget it. Go for Virgin Mobile...no contract. That's what I have now. Better than nothing. I can text, surf website, etc....my son can use my phone to talk with friends

almost went for tracfone. SUCKS! Limit on text etc... Forget it. Go for Virgin Mobile...no contract. That's what I have now. Better than nothing. I can text, surf website, etc....my son can use my phone to talk with friends

I have the same.

Thank you. Does Virgin Mobile have phones that enable you to set up a "real" email account (the way a BlackBerry works)? Or are you limited to just sending a text as an email? Also, is Virgin Mobile compatible with TTY?

Thank you. Does Virgin Mobile have phones that enable you to set up a "real" email account (the way a BlackBerry works)? Or are you limited to just sending a text as an email? Also, is Virgin Mobile compatible with TTY?

You can set up a Virgin Mobile Android phone to send your Hotmail or Gmail right to your phone and easy with no charge to send email.

Text and data are unlimited at about $35 a month.

Yes my android phone does have TTY, I don't turn it on. I don't need it. Text is good enough.

Yes you can set up your own personal Email such as Yahoo, Gmail etc.

I'd go with Virgin Mobile myself, but I pay for my own phone and minutes/plan, and I don't have a whole lot of money... so for now, I'm stuck with the Tracfone. It eats up A LOT of minutes, though, because I text quite a lot...

Thank you MintyOreo. I can now send a text as an email. But I still cannot set up "real" email on my TracFone LG500g. When I bought the phone, they told me that I can set up "real" email on the phone (like the BlackBerry) and they also told me that the TracFone LG500g is TTY compatible. But that does not seem to be true. When I do not have access to a computer, I need to check my email but I cannot figure out how to log on to Windows Live with my Tracfone. So I am wondering: Does anyone know how to log on to Windows Live with a Tracfone LG500g? When I use the browser to go to Windows Live, I cannot get into my email.

I looked at the user manual and it says nothing about being able to set up emails on it - only that you can push email through as SMS. Honestly, I'd take it back ASAP and get a phone that actaully does proper texting and email services (that means you'll need a text and data package).

Also - "TTY mode" on cell phones means that you can connect it via a special cable to a portable TTY machine (like the ultratec pocket tty) and the TTY will function in "direct connect" mode (versus acoustic coupler mode, which doesn't work on cells).
"TTY mode" on cell phones does NOT mean that the cell phone will independently function "as a TTY".

I looked at the user manual and it says nothing about being able to set up emails on it - only that you can push email through as SMS. Honestly, I'd take it back ASAP and get a phone that actaully does proper texting and email services (that means you'll need a text and data package).

Also - "TTY mode" on cell phones means that you can connect it via a special cable to a portable TTY machine (like the ultratec pocket tty) and the TTY will function in "direct connect" mode (versus acoustic coupler mode, which doesn't work on cells).
"TTY mode" on cell phones does NOT mean that the cell phone will independently function "as a TTY".

Anij is correct about how "TTY mode" on cell phones works.

I have not kept up with current TracFone models but have had a good experience with the LG3280 (a C or CDMA phone). It is an older phone that you can supposedly text with but I never did.

My use was in TTY mode connecting a Krown PocketComm to it and using the Illinois Relay Service and VCO. It does very well for that use BUT the PocketComm proved to be delicate, needing repair or replacement about yearly while the LG3280 has not had to have a thing done to it in over 6 years. Thus, I am exploring using the Droid 2 on Page Plus and Wireless CapTel from Sprint.

Tracfone Email

Thank you for all the feedback. It looks like I am stuck with the same problem as MintyOreo. I am stuck with Tracfone due to expense of better phones. There are times when I dont have access to a computer & need to send emails, but texting is too limited for "real" email. Also, when people respond to my emails, a text is too limited for their emails. So I tried to log on to Hotmail but it wont work on the LG500g. I got a msg telling me I need to download the Hotmail mobile app. The msg said the Hotmail screen is too large for the LG500g. Does anyone know how to download the Hotmail mobile app to my LG500g?

TTY - Thank You Anij

Thank you for your feedback. I know that "TTY Mode" means that I can connect with a cable, which is one of the reasons I got the LG500g. On one of my screens, it says "TTY Mode" but now Tracfone tells me it will not work with a cable - that my phone is not compatible with TTY. So, why, I asked, does my phone have a screen that says "TTY Mode.?" They did not have an answer. Also, I gave up on the idea of having the ability to setup email. I figured that I would just log on to Hotmail when necessary. But my phone will not let me log on. When I get to the Hotmail sign-in, my phone gives me a message telling me that I need to download the Hotmail Mobile app. I have not figured out how to download the app yet. (I agree with you that I should get rid of the phone but I can't handle the expense right now so I will have to put up with the Tracfone until my ship comes in.)

I have been a TracFone user for the last 10 or so years. I never use the browser. My phone is an LG but I don't know which model. Has camera, video, full keyboard. I use it for text only. At times, people will call, but I don't generally answer when it is a voice call.

Back