Scam!

Tousi

Reaction score
Please go to this link and read. This link got started by the Maryland State government as a result of calls complaining about a scam regarding CDT. I seem to recall a thread here regarding this business of buying diamonds, etc..

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Press/2006/111306.htm

theres's some deafies i mean many deafies here in minnesota is into CDT. and god. that scares me! glad i didn't join .. but many other peeps in minnesota join cuz they saw checks and diamonds.

Everyone thinks that the scheme they're in is successful, but it's always a scam. :roll:

yeah.. but they do accually get some cash. not alot as they say.
And... how much work do they have to do in order to get that cash?

The most I've heard people say is $250 and that's with months of work.

I've never actually met anyone who's made thousands of dollars.

One guy tried to scam me into joining Quixtar. To prove that he was rich, he drove up to the front of Tower A at RIT with a fancy luxury car. He drove up, got out, and said... "This is my car. Obviously, I'm rich and can afford it." He told me to meet him in the lounge so that he could give me a presentation on how it worked. He then left to park his car. As he drove off, I noticed stickers on the window... the kind you see on cars at a dealership.

As soon as the presentation started, I already knew how it worked. He also mentioned that he was from out of town. Again, remember the car? It was from a local dealership. He even mentioned that he had a few friends who were rich and living in houses that they had just bought and driving around in cars that were nicer than his. When I asked who they were, he avoided the subject.

Everything he said was not clear and it was obvious that he was lying.

What a Sad.
I will kick my bro to stop join that stupid!!!!

Letter issued from CDT regarding to the article in the Washington Business Journal.

You can contact CDT anytime using these phone numbers or email addresses.

"Hello Ann
>
> In this article they have covered some important points that prove we
> are not a pyramid.
>
> 1) "Pyramid schemes -- mock businesses that earn money primarily from
> recruiting
> members and charging them fees rather than by selling products"
>
> This is true about pyramids, but CDT does not charge many fees. $20
> fot a replicated site for 1 year and $100 or $500 is for the deposit of
> a real certified and appraised diamond, which is appraised by the
> largest accredited Gem Lab in Canada. Or $300 or $1000 for a diamond
> plus a replicator included for free!
>
> 2) Some pyramid schemes offer a product or service to disguise their
> true
> nature. The product or service may be overpriced or have a
> questionable value,
> like exotic vitamins, health tonics and gemstones of uncertain origins
>
> The above is also true about pyramids but at CDT the diamonds are more
> like half price instead of overpriced, the value has been determined by
> an ISO registered Gem Lab, and the any lab can confirm the authenticity
> of these diamonds. Therefore CDT does not fit the above pyramid
> description.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> CDT Admin
> 416.742.2280 - 222 (t)
> 416.742.0557 (f)
>

>
>To:
>
>Sent: 11/14/2006 12:55:55 PM
>
>Subject: Government's Release
>
>Hello Everyone,
>
>I am here to give you some comfort...
>
>Many forwarded me about the pyramid schemes...released by the
>government...
>
>Unfortunately many do not understand the warnings explained by
>the government... The government did not give you all the details
>of what illegitimate and legitimate activities. Even there are
>no mentioning of Canadian Diamond Traders in the release.
>
>CDT is an legitimate organization, complying all the
>international business laws and incorporated by the Canadian
>government. CDTsponsors all of us as independent traders, selling
>diamonds... CDT takes care of all paperwork, payments and
>shipping of diamonds. They all are prefect legal.
>
>I am asking you to be more careful with what kind of
>information you get... what type of information... Is it a
>personal message or official letter or release? If you DO
>NOT SEE any NAME of Canadian Diamond Traders, Inc in
>the government release, there is nothing to worry about. If
>you SEE the NAME of Canadian Diamond Traders in the government
>letter, not personal message or letter, the we would worry about
>and find out what would go wrong.
>
>Please, please, please be more careful with differences between
>the personal letters and government information (depending on
>what it is about) and if any names of company mentioned.
>
>Spread this by forwarding to your business people...
>
>Thanks and good luck...
>
>Any questions, call videophone me at 585 249 0873.
>
>David XXXXXXX
>
>Teamwork Guarantees Success.
>
>Sorenson VP: 585.249.0873

go to www.theaslsocial.com and Page 1 for pics of deaf people recieving their diamonds and checks.

I got my diamond

4 of my friends and recently a 5th friend informed me today got their $2,500 checks.

Just showing the proof. Doesnt mean I am trying to change your minds but stating the info about CDT and the pictures of people actually recieving what they were promised by CDT.

Yeah, theyre getting very creative at bilking deaf people these days. I can only blame it all on their dependency state of mind for allowing it to happen.

I'm happy I dont have to be fighting these types things any more.

Deaf people will learn the hard way. When they fall, they fall very very hard.

Richard Roehm

Yeah, theyre getting very creative at bilking deaf people these days. I can only blame it all on their dependency state of mind for allowing it to happen.

I'm happy I dont have to be fighting these types things any more.

Deaf people will learn the hard way. When they fall, they fall very very hard.

Richard Roehm

Ok fine but my question is if it is a scam, why are my friends or other people actually earning money? That is where I am lost. People say it is a scam and ripping off people's money but when people cycle out, they got their $2,500 checks soooo...that is what is puzzling to me. I have never heard of a scam business actually paying people their earnings. Usually they wouldnt pay it and just run off with our money right? I havent seen CDT do that yet ..just seeing my friends getting paid. Besides, it is only an one time fee of $120 dollars. No monthy payments or anything like that. That's it and a $2,500 profit for selling enough diamonds is not too bad compared what is required by other businesses like Quixtar.

Like you know those naysayers always abuse the word SCAM, but they just misused, misunderstood and overabused the word scam even without doing their exhaustive research on their own.

Ignore them fool losers. Heck, I have heard of them before yet they still run for 2 years now. Yep, many CDT members do get paid and got their diamonds, however.

Naysayers... go on cryin' scam! :blah:

Ok fine but my question is if it is a scam, why are my friends or other people actually earning money? That is where I am lost. People say it is a scam and ripping off people's money but when people cycle out, they got their $2,500 checks soooo...that is what is puzzling to me. I have never heard of a scam business actually paying people their earnings. Usually they wouldnt pay it and just run off with our money right? I havent seen CDT do that yet ..just seeing my friends getting paid. Besides, it is only an one time fee of $120 dollars. No monthy payments or anything like that. That's it and a $2,500 profit for selling enough diamonds is not too bad compared what is required by other businesses like Quixtar.

There's a word many deafies dont know and can never understand and that word is Ponzi

Since this affects only the dependency clans, I choose not to interfere with the self destruction process of a tiny and worthless section of the deaf communities. They're going to have to learn the word Ponzi from someone else this time.

Richard

CDT's statement to the Australian Dept of Consumer Service Allegations. After this statement, they retracted their allegations..

CDT Admin Posted: Today @ 12:18 AM Msg. 1 of 1 Top

Facts on CDTs Diamond Trading Program

1. A person does not make any payment to become a CDT participant.
2. Any and all payments by CDT participants are made to CDT and never to another participant.
3. Any and all payments made by CDT participants to CDT are in respect of the purchase of diamonds.
4. CDT participants do not receive any benefit for introducing new CDT participants.
5. CDT participants receive payment from CDT if they market diamonds to a person who purchases those diamonds from CDT. CDT participants are not involved in any of the essential elements of the purchase and sale transactions, being the making or receiving of the offer or the making or receiving of the acceptance and agreeing to the consideration, but rather all transactions are entirely arranged and effected by CDT.

Statutory Provisions

Sections 24 and 60T of the Australian Fair Trade Act 1987, are attached hereto in their entirety. These sections provide, in part, as follows (paraphrased):

Section 24 – Pyramid Selling, Etc.

(1) A person shall not obtain a benefit, or seek to obtain a benefit, from a trading scheme to which this section applies.
(2) A person contravenes this section if:
(a) he is a promoter of or participant in a trading scheme AND another person who is a participant makes a payment to the promoter or another participant that he is induced to make by the prospect of receiving a benefit in respect of the introduction of other persons to the trading scheme;
(b) he is a promoter of or participant in a trading scheme AND attempts to induce another to make a payment for the benefit of a promoter or participant by holding out the prospect of receiving a payment in respect of the introduction of another person; or
(c) he promotes a scheme under which a payment is to be made by another person to him where the inducement for making the payment is the holding out of the prospect of receiving a payment from another who may participate in the scheme.
(3) The “prospect” must constitute a substantial part of the inducement;
(4) A scheme is a “trading scheme” to which this section applies if the scheme includes:
(a) the provision of goods or services by the promoter;

(b) the supply of those goods or services to other persons under transactions arranged or effected by participants who are not promoters; and
(c) the prospect held out to participants of receiving payments for:
(i) introducing other participants;
(ii) change of status of any participant;
(iii) the supply of goods to other participants;
(iv) the supply of training or other services for other participants; OR
(v) transactions effected by other participants under which goods or services are to be supplied to other persons.

Section 60T – Meaning of “Pyramid Selling Scheme”

(1) A “pyramid selling scheme” is a scheme that has both of the following:
(a) a participant must make a payment to another participant in the scheme; and
(b) the payment is induced by the prospect of receiving a payment for introducing new participants.

Analysis

Regarding section 24, it must first be determined whether our method of doing business is a “trading scheme” to which the section applies.

The first condition requires that the goods must be provided by promoter. In our method of doing business, clearly the goods are provided by the promoters. Accordingly, this condition is satisfied.

Under the second condition, the transactions by which our diamonds are sold must be arranged or effected by the CDT participants in order for the scheme to be a trading scheme. For transactions to be “arranged” or “effected” by a CDT participant, that participant must be involved in substantially completing the essential elements of a binding transaction, including making or receiving the offer or making or receiving the acceptance and agreeing to the consideration. Since all aspects of the transactions are arranged and effected by CDT, as the promoters, this second condition is not satisfied.

The third condition requires that there is a prospect held out to participants of receiving a payment upon the occurrence of certain events. In our method of doing business, CDT participants do not expect to receive a payment for: introducing other participants; upon the change of status of a participant; or upon the supply of training or other services to participants. However, they do expect to receive a payment when goods are sold to other participants. Accordingly, this condition is satisfied.

Since all of the conditions are not satisfied, our method of doing business is not a “trading scheme” to which the section applies.

If we are wrong as to this first point, We will address the section as if our method of doing business is a trading scheme to which the section applies.
The section prohibits anyone from benefiting from a trading scheme if any one of three situations apply, as set out in section (2) above.

The first two situations require a participant to be induced to make a payment on the prospect of receiving a benefit if he introduces a new participant to the scheme. As CDT participants never receive a benefit for introducing new participants, these situations do not apply.

The third situation requires a participant to be induced to make a payment on the prospect of receiving a payment from another participant. As CDT participants never received payments from other CDT participants, this situation does not apply.

Accordingly, even if our method of doing business is a trading scheme to which the section applies, a person participating in it would not contravene the section.

Regarding section 60T, a “pyramid scheme” must have participants making payments to other participants on the prospect of receiving payments on the introduction of new participants. As our method of doing business never has participants making payments to other participants and never has participants receiving payments for introducing new participants, it is not a “pyramid scheme” under that section.

Conclusion

Our business model is not a pyramid scheme, as analyzed below based on two sections of the Australian Pyramid Selling Scheme Act; Section 24 and Section 60T.

At CDT we will always do what is necessary to comply with all laws of all jurisdictions, but we believe the more important issue is the ethics of the company and program. We are supplying real valuable tangible beautiful certified diamonds at great prices.

Sincerely,
J. Waterman
Director of Research and Development

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by cdt1 on Nov 15, 2006 at 12:31 AM

Admin Options :

Time: Wed November 15, 2006 5:58 PM 15 ms.

nesmuth..u are entitled to your opinion but by calling thousands of deaf people worthless is kinda bad if u claim to be an advocate for deaf people isnt it? Call us all kinds of names...until I see the words from the US govt "CDT aka Canadian Diamond Traders IS illegal" then I will back off. The words "MAY be illegal" "believe to be illegal" from the govt means that they arent sure but investigating so what if CDT is actually legal? I am just going to post what CDT says about their program and up to people who want to believe it or not. What I dont get is...IF CDT IS illegal then why wasnt it shut down 2 years ago? Doesnt make sense to me...why didnt any of the governments worldwide send their FBI agents to shut it down?

Do you realize how many people worldwide are involved in CDT so that means those people from all over the world are part of the "tiny and worthless section of the deaf community" too just like u said.

CDT's official response to the MD Attorney General.

The points below is in relation to an article posted on the Securities Division, Maryland State Attorney General's Office.

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Securities/PyramidBrochure.pdf

The Product
CDT’s diamonds are more like half price instead of overpriced, the value has been determined by an ISO registered Gem Laboratory, and any laboratory can confirm the authenticity and value of the diamonds.

The Sale
Our company meetings will prove that we do not employ hard sell tactics. In fact, our Diamond Traders often comment that the company atmosphere is relaxed unlike any marketing they have seen before. Our saying at CDT is “Join Now or Join Later!” No pressure is required; the fairness and success of the program sells itself.

New Traders
New Diamond Traders pay $20 fee for a dynamic replicated website for ONE YEAR. This is significantly less than the market price.

Diamond Traders are not required to purchase large amounts of inventory, and to date there has been NO Diamond Traders that have purchased large amounts inventory. There is no monthly requirement or minimum purchase required to maintain your accounts with CDT.

Public
Our client list consists of new and old diamond traders, wholesalers, jewelers and the general public. It’s no secret; diamonds are highly regarded and sought after by people all over the world.

Advertising
The company does not advertise in the Classifieds for New Diamond Traders, especially as a job. Our method of advertising has been successful through established News Radio Stations.

Approval
CDT has never and will never represent our program as approved to any government agency. Unfortunately, some people misrepresent that since our corporations documents are notarized and filed with the Ontario’s Management Board of Cabinet, they believe our business is approved. As far as our knowledge goes, there is no such thing as a government agency approving a business plan; governments set forth the laws and we stay within those guidelines.

Refund Policy
The terms and conditions of our Refund Policy are very simple to understand:

As per the Diamond Deposit Agreement "Diamond Deposits are irrevocable and not redeemable in cash. A deposit amount may only be redeemed in diamonds".

Refund Policy/Exchange Policy
All products and services sold by CDT will be deemed a final sale. Products and services sold by CDT are non-refundable and non-negotiable. Exchange may be granted at the discretion of CDT. Appraisal and restocking fees may apply.

Money Back Guarantee
Diamond Traders whom have paid the deposit and have qualified with two sales within one year (12 months) and if by the second year (24 months) the Diamond Trader has not completed the Diamond Trading Program cycle due to unforeseen circumstances, CDT will refund the Diamond Traders deposit in full.

Compensation Plan
Our compensation plan is simple to understand; successfully market our diamonds and earn a $3500 marketing fee.

Residual Income
CDT’s Diamond Trading Program does not allow residual income. Our plan simply offers a one time payment for successfully marketing.

Luxury
What good are diamonds that no one can see! On a global scale, our Diamond Traders request to show proof of their success; testimonials are welcomed.

Some government groups are saying that CDT was started by a deaf man named Arthur Weisblatt. All kinds of different accusations about CDT but no final statement.

Anyways, Dave and his cronies from crimebusters.com are now making new allegations about CDT and using deaf people as the scapegoats. It is unbelievable! I got this email from my friend. Read this

This is the link:
MLM Business Opportunities Blog | Canadian Diamond Traders Inc: Is It A Scam?

Thomas said on October 16th, 2006 at 11:47 pm :

Canadian Diamond Traders, Inc. founder discovered.

Last Spring I heard about Canadian Diamond Traders, Inc. through my deaf friends and visited their website. The diamond table explained on the website looked kind of authentic to me. I communicated with this deaf person, "Arnold" from Toronto through e-mail. He stated he worked for that company. I asked him who the founder was, and he said there was no founder. The company was founded by a deaf team.

He made such statements as:

* If you have $100 to invest and you know two other people with $100 to invest, you can make $3,000 over and over again;

* You earn commissions by referring other members to the program. When they make a purchase, you get credit for the sales; and

* The more people you directly sponsor, the faster you will cycle out and the more frequently you will cycle. The ideal is to sponsor at least two members as soon as possible.

I invested $100 without two people under me and got $250 in return. My excitement went through the roof. I sent a thank-you note to Arnold, and he said that week would be the hottest week for me if I got 2-4 people under me and invested more. If I invested $1,000 with 2-4 people under me, I would possibly get around $10,000. My temptation increased uncontrolably, and I invested more than that.

For a few weeks after my large investment to the company, I have not received one cent in return from the company. My concerns grew, and I sent over 50 e-mail messages to them. Not one word came to my mailbox from them. I lost my $15,000 to Canadian Diamond Traders, Inc.

My anger of being tricked grew. It took me 5 months to gather deaf victims and work together to trace Arnold and other people who worked at Canadian Diamond Traders, Inc.

I received from several "anonymous" informants that there was no Arnold.

The real person is ARTHUR WIESBLATT. He is deaf.

Wiesblatt was a founder of Canadian Diamond Traders, Inc. He recruited some people to be on the board to collect over $500,000 from the diamond table. None of them got a cut from him. They have no idea where he is now.

It's a scam. It's a pyramid scheme. I am now posting warnings all over the net and taking Arthur Wiesblatt to court and reporting their little scam to deaf victims.

Please do not invest your money to Canadian Diamond Traders, Inc. or Arthur Wiesblatt. If you are a victim, join us www.crimebustersnow.com , we will also prepare to file a complaint against Wiesblatt for a very minimal disperment cost with no fees unless you win.

Thomas D.

Several false info...
We dont get a $250 return just for signing up without 2 people
CDT doesnt pay commissions for referring people to the program.
CDT has a headquarters based in Canada with their address and phone number listed. I have called CDT themselves and have spoken with a rep each time. What's so funny about this is this guy said it was started by a deaf group and I needed to use the relay to talk to a hearing person.

I have never heard of anyone investing $15,000 out of their pockets and not getting anything in return. He doesnt mention diamonds. If I invested $15,000 in it, I would have gotten the diamonds and debit cards for sure. Luanne and Michelle Wolf's husband already got their $$$ and they didnt invest $15,000.

Like I said Dave or his cronies have a tendacy to jump the bandwagon only this time, they are using deaf people as the scammers. Oh boy.

Thank you
XXXXXX ( name withheld)

The Canadian Diamond Traders Program (Plan) According To The Competition Bureau of Canada Laws
1 - Do you have a real product or service? The product must be the reason for the plan. The plan must exist to sell the product.
Diamonds are a real product. CDT is a diamond wholesaler and has been successfully selling diamonds to brokers and jewelers two years before implementing the plan. The plan was designed to sell more diamonds , because 98% of CDT's income comes from the sale of diamonds. The only other profits CDT makes are from a US$5.00 administration fee, which is used to cover overhead such as a toll free number, merchant services etc.
2 - Are you making earnings claims that are not typical of participants in your plan?
We are letting people know the average cycle time of a typical member: 2-3 months in the US$500 Diamond Program and 1 month in the US$100 Feeder Program. Other top distributors are simply stating when they are cycling out. We also notify them that the fastest cycle time is in less than 1 hour and the longest has been 10 months where some slow members have not yet cycled out. We let the members know that the cycle time will be determined based on sales efforts of the entire team.
3 - Are your participants expecting to make money by recruiting others to the plan?
Members are not paid for recruiting other members, and CDT does not pay recruitment bonuses. We only ask that the members find 2 other members to join the program. The program has members who have brought in 2 other members, but who have made the exact same commission as members who have recruited zero members.
4 - Does your plan force people to buy a product in order to join?
CDT charges a diamond purchase deposit of US$100 to join the Feeder System and US$500 to join the Diamond Program. This deposit allows every member: 1) to enter the program and 2) to buy diamonds (at any time) at below the current wholesale price (as stipulated by the Rapaport Diamond Report). We do not force people to buy diamonds to become a member. We only ask that successful members use part of their commission to purchase diamonds from us making it a win-win situation, because CDT makes its money from selling diamonds.
5 - Are you asking or allowing people to buy unreasonable amounts of inventory you know they can't sell?
There is no monthly purchase requirement of our members. CDT will provide the inventory on request for any member who wishes to re-sell diamonds. The main purpose for this law is to ensure that companies are not putting their members in financial jeopardy. Again, the only time a member is required to purchase a diamond is after they have received their commission. From the US$4000 that CDT collects on their behalf they use US$869 + tax (or shipping for foreign residents) to purchase a diamond valued at over US$2700.
6 - Do you have a fair product buy-back policy or a right to return the product on reasonable terms?
We have a 2-year money back guarantee for all members. CDT will refund the entry fee in full, if the member gets their 2 other people to join the program within the first year, and yet is not successful by the end of the second year. This is better than the Industry standard. The diamonds are appraised by Gem Scan International Inc., one of the most conservative and reputable appraisers in the world. Furthermore, if a member decides they no longer want to be part of the program they can trade-in their deposit for a diamond at that retail value (including taxes).

The Canadian Diamond Traders Program in Regards to the Direct Selling Association Code of Ethics
Preamble
The Direct Selling Association, recognizing that companies engaged in direct selling assume certain responsibilities toward customers arising out of the personal-contact method of distribution of their products and services, hereby sets forth the basic fair and ethical principles and practices to which member companies of the association will continue to adhere in the conduct of their business.

A. Code of Conduct

1. Deceptive or Unlawful Consumer or Recruiting Practices
No member company of the Association shall engage in any deceptive, unlawful or unethical consumer or recruiting practice. Member companies shall ensure that no statements, promises or testimonials are made which are likely to mislead consumers or prospective salespeople.
CDT takes pride in giving potential customers the facts Fair Franc and Full Disclosure of information to potential members, even if some of the information may deter the client from joining. All promises and testimonials are based on facts of actual events during the course of business CDT does not tele-market or spam customers. We strictly work on referral and advertising (such as that on 680 News, Toronto, Canada).

Note:
1. Prior to 1993, the Code protected only the ultimate users or consumers of our products and services. The 1993 amendments extended protection to our independent sales representatives. The amendments were not intended to include "proselytizing" or salesforce raiding disputes within the jurisdiction of the Code, except to the extent that such disputes involve allegations of deceptive, unlawful or unethical recruiting practices or behaviors aimed at potential salespeople. As used in this section, "unethical" means violative of the U.S. DSA Code of Ethics.

2. Products or Services
The offer of products or services for sale by member companies of the Association shall be accurate and truthful as to price, grade, quality, make, value, performance, quantity, currency of model and availability. A consumer's order for products and services shall be fulfilled in a timely manner.
CDT's diamonds are appraised by the Industry's leading gemologist companies, such as Gem Scan International, GIA, and EGL. CDT endeavors to have the diamonds ready for pickup within 2 weeks of the order. There are rare situations where the diamonds are delayed because of customs clearance, theft, and late appraisal reports from the gemologist.

3. Terms of Sale
A written order or receipt shall be delivered to the customer at the time of sale, which sets forth in language that is clear and free of ambiguity:
CDT provides all clients with receipts which outline all applicable details regarding that respective receipt.

a. All the terms and conditions of sale, with specification of the total amount the customer will be required to pay, including all interest, service charges and fees, and other costs and expenses as required by federal and state law;
CDT Clients know exactly how much they have to pay for their products and services and if they require more information we have our contact information posted on our website. We are available Mon - Fri 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. EST.

b. The name and address of the salesperson or the member firm represented.
CDT's name and address are clearly indicated on all receipts and invoices.

4. Warranties and Guarantees
The terms of any warranty or guarantee offered by the seller in connection with the sale shall be furnished to the buyer in a manner that fully conforms to federal and state warranty and guarantee laws and regulations. The manufacturer, distributor and/or seller shall fully and promptly perform in accordance with the terms of all warranties and guarantees offered to consumers.
CDT stands by all warranties and guarantees it sets forth in its terms and conditions, which are available on our website at all times

5. Identification and Privacy
Sellers shall truthfully identify themselves, their company, their products and the purposes of their solicitation to the prospective customer. Contact with the consumer shall be made in a reasonable manner and during reasonable hours to avoid intrusiveness. A demonstration or sales presentation shall discontinue upon the request of the consumer.
CDT does not enforce or encourage deceiving anyone into listen to its unique opportunity. We practice a no pressure environment. We simply provide customers with the information and allow them to make their own decision. We have a saying at CDT. They will JOIN NOW or JOIN LATER!

6. Pyramid Schemes
For the purpose of this Code, pyramid or endless chain schemes shall be considered consumer transactions actionable under this Code. The Code Administrator shall determine whether such pyramid or endless chain schemes constitute a violation of this Code in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local law or regulation.
CDT is not a pyramid as outlined in the CDT Plan According to the Competition Bureau of Canada.

Note:
6. The definition of an "illegal pyramid" is based upon existing standards of law as reflected in In the matter of Amway, 93 FTC 618 (1979) and the anti-pyramid laws of Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana, Oklahoma, and Texas. In accordance with these laws, member companies shall remunerate direct sellers primarily on the basis of sales of products, including services, purchased by any person for actual use or consumption. Such remuneration may include compensation based on sales to individual direct sellers for their own actual use or consumption.

7. Inventory Purchases
a. Any member company with a marketing plan that involves selling products directly or indirectly to independent salespeople shall clearly state, in its recruiting literature, sales manual, or contract with the independent salespeople, that the company will repurchase on reasonable commercial terms currently marketable inventory, in the possession of that salesperson and purchased by that salesperson for resale prior to the date of termination of the salesperson's business relationship with the company or its independent salespeople. For purposes of this Code, "reasonable commercial terms" shall include the repurchase of marketable inventory within twelve (12) months from the salesperson's date of purchase at not less than 90 percent of the salesperson's original net cost less appropriate set offs and legal claims, if any. For purposes of this Code, products shall not be considered "currently marketable" if returned for repurchase after the products' commercially reasonable usable or shelf life period has passed; nor shall products be considered "currently marketable" if the company clearly discloses to salespeople prior to purchase that the products are seasonal, discontinued, or special promotion products and are not subject to the repurchase obligation.
CDT has a no refund policy. However, we have a money back Guarantee. Also, since the deposit of $100(Feeder Program) or $500(Diamond Program) is a deposit toward the purchase of a diamond, if any member wishes to leave the program they may retrieve equal value diamonds at any time (including tax).

Note:
7a. The purpose of the buyback is to eliminate the potential harm of "inventory loading;" i.e., the practice of loading up salespeople with inventory they are unable or unlikely to be able to sell or use within a reasonable time period. Inventory loading has historically been accomplished by giving sellers financial incentives for sales without regard to ultimate sales to or use by actual consumers. The repurchase provisions of the Code are meant to deter inventory loading and to protect distributors from financial harm which might result from inventory loading.
"Inventory" is considered to include both tangible and intangible product; ie., both goods and services. "Current marketability" of inventory shall be determined on the basis of the specific condition of the product. Factors to be considered by the Code Administrator when determining "current marketability" are condition of the goods and whether or not the products have been used or opened.
Changes in marketplace demand, product formulation, or labeling are not sufficient grounds for a claim by the company that a product is no longer "marketable." Nor does the ingestible nature of certain products limit per se the current marketability of those products. Government regulation which may arguably restrict or limit the ultimate resalability of a product does not limit its "current marketability" for purposes of the Code.
State statutes mandate that certain buyback provisions required by law must be described in a direct seller's contract. While acknowledging that the contract is probably the most effective place for such information, the DSA Code allows for placement of the provision in either "recruiting literature or contract." The DSA Code is meant to emphasize that the disclosure must be in writing and be clearly stated. Wherever disclosed, the buyback requirement shall be construed as a contractual obligation of the company.
A company shall not place any unreasonable (e.g., procedural) impediments in the way of salespeople seeking to sell back products to the company.
The buyback process should be as efficient as possible and designed to facilitate buyback of products. The buyback provisions apply to all terminating distributors who otherwise qualify for such repurchase, including distributors who are not new to a particular company, or those who have left a company to sell for another company.

b. Any member company with a marketing plan which requires independent salespeople to purchase company-produced promotional materials, sales aids or kits shall clearly state, in its recruiting literature, sales manual or contract with the independent salespeople, that the company will repurchase these items on reasonable commercial terms.
No one is required to purchase a kit or promotional items. In fact, we promote that our members be creative (not deceptive) in acquiring new sales and tailor it to their personality. We realize at CDT that different people need different paths to succeed.

Any member company with a marketing plan which provides its independent salespeople with any financial benefit related to the sales of company-produced promotional materials, sales aids or kits shall clearly state, in its recruiting literature, sales manual or contract with the independent salespeople, that the company will repurchase, on reasonable commercial terms, currently marketable company-produced promotional materials, sales aids or kits.
We do not sell kits and there are no commissions from promotional materials paid to members. Flyers are provided by CDT at no cost. We merely ask that that members use what they take. We charge $5.00 to members who require a Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation CD.

A member company shall clearly state in its recruiting literature, sales manual or contract with the independent salespeople if any items not otherwise covered by this Section are ineligible for repurchase by the company.

Note:
7b. 1998 amendments made it clear that sales aids, kits and promotional materials, while not inventory or necessarily intended for resale, are subject to the repurchase requirement if a company requires their purchase or if there is a financial incentive associated with their sale. It was recognized that "loading" of these items can cause the same harm to plan participants as loading of "inventory."
With respect to the final paragraph of Section 7b., disclosure of an item's eligibility or ineligibility for the buyback is key. Provided that repurchase is not required by this Code provision, for those items a company chooses not to repurchase, the company should clearly and conspicuously disclose to the buyer that the items are not subject to the repurchase requirement. Under such disclosure, a refusal to take an item back will not constitute a violation providing the member is acting in good faith and not attempting to evade the repurchase requirement.
As it states in the above paragraph, as long as disclosure is provided CDT has no obligation to buy back products and services. We clearly have a NO REFUND policy on our website. In spite of that, we are willing to do exchanges at CDT's discretion.

8. Earnings Representations
No member company shall misrepresent the actual or potential sales or earnings of its independent salespeople. Any earnings or sales representations that are made by member companies shall be based on documented facts.
Any potential sales earnings divulged by CDT are based on actual events and statistics.

Note:
8. There is ample legal precedent in the form of FTC decisions to afford guidance on the subject of earnings representations. While not controlling, these precedents should be used by the Code Administrator in making determinations as to the substantiation of company earnings claims.
The Code's simple prohibition of misrepresentations was intended, in part, to avoid unduly encumbering start-up companies that have little or no actual earnings history with their compensation plan or established companies that are testing or launching new compensation plans. The prohibition approach is meant to require that companies in these circumstances need only ensure that their promotional literature and public statements clearly indicate that the compensation plan is new and that any charts, illustrations and stated examples of income under the plan are potential in nature and not based upon the actual performance of any individual(s).

9. Inventory Loading
A member company shall not require or encourage an independent salesperson to purchase inventory in an amount which unreasonably exceeds that which can be expected to be resold and/or consumed within a reasonable period of time.
We do not load customers with inventory. We only require them to purchase their diamonds after they have successfully completed (cycled out of) our program. This ensures that we do not put our members into financial difficulties.

Note:
9. See, Code Explanatory §7a. regarding inventory loading.

10. Payment of Fees
Neither member companies nor their representatives shall ask individuals to assume unreasonably high entrance fees, training fees, franchise fees, fees for promotional materials or other fees related solely to the right to participate in the direct selling business.
$100 is the minimum diamond purchase deposit to enter our system, which is not expensive or unreasonable. We even go as far as financing our clients regardless of Credit or Job status. All we require is a commitment for them to help us sell more diamonds. This is both reasonable and fair. No payments are required by the borrower until they have successfully completed the cycle.

10. High entrance fees can be an element of pyramid schemes, in which individuals are encouraged to expend large upfront costs, without receiving product of like value. These fees then become the mechanism driving the pyramid and placing participants at risk of financial harm. Some state laws have requirements that fees be returned similar to the repurchase provisions delineated in Code §7a. The Code eliminates the harm of large fees by prohibiting unreasonably high fees. The Code Administrator is empowered to determine when a fee is "unreasonably high." For example, if a refund is offered for only a portion of an entrance fee, to cover what could be described as inventory, and there is nothing else given or received for the balance of the entrance fee, such as a training program, that portion of the entrance fee may be deemed to be unreasonably high by the Code Administrator. This Code section reinforces the provision in Code Part B.
Responsibilities and Duties requiring companies to address the Code violations of their independent contractor salesforce.
Our diamond purchase deposit is not high. Again, it's a minimum of $100, and if for any reason the member decides they no longer want to be involved, we will give them the same value in diamonds. However, if they wait until they cycle out, they will of course get a better price on the diamonds.

CDT's statement to the Australian Dept of Consumer Service Allegations. After this statement, they retracted their allegations..

CDT Admin Posted: Today @ 12:18 AM Msg. 1 of 1 Top

Facts on CDTs Diamond Trading Program

1. A person does not make any payment to become a CDT participant.
2. Any and all payments by CDT participants are made to CDT and never to another participant.
3. Any and all payments made by CDT participants to CDT are in respect of the purchase of diamonds.
4. CDT participants do not receive any benefit for introducing new CDT participants.
5. CDT participants receive payment from CDT if they market diamonds to a person who purchases those diamonds from CDT. CDT participants are not involved in any of the essential elements of the purchase and sale transactions, being the making or receiving of the offer or the making or receiving of the acceptance and agreeing to the consideration, but rather all transactions are entirely arranged and effected by CDT.

Statutory Provisions

Sections 24 and 60T of the Australian Fair Trade Act 1987, are attached hereto in their entirety. These sections provide, in part, as follows (paraphrased):

Section 24 – Pyramid Selling, Etc.

(1) A person shall not obtain a benefit, or seek to obtain a benefit, from a trading scheme to which this section applies.
(2) A person contravenes this section if:
(a) he is a promoter of or participant in a trading scheme AND another person who is a participant makes a payment to the promoter or another participant that he is induced to make by the prospect of receiving a benefit in respect of the introduction of other persons to the trading scheme;
(b) he is a promoter of or participant in a trading scheme AND attempts to induce another to make a payment for the benefit of a promoter or participant by holding out the prospect of receiving a payment in respect of the introduction of another person; or
(c) he promotes a scheme under which a payment is to be made by another person to him where the inducement for making the payment is the holding out of the prospect of receiving a payment from another who may participate in the scheme.
(3) The “prospect” must constitute a substantial part of the inducement;
(4) A scheme is a “trading scheme” to which this section applies if the scheme includes:
(a) the provision of goods or services by the promoter;

(b) the supply of those goods or services to other persons under transactions arranged or effected by participants who are not promoters; and
(c) the prospect held out to participants of receiving payments for:
(i) introducing other participants;
(ii) change of status of any participant;
(iii) the supply of goods to other participants;
(iv) the supply of training or other services for other participants; OR
(v) transactions effected by other participants under which goods or services are to be supplied to other persons.

Section 60T – Meaning of “Pyramid Selling Scheme”

(1) A “pyramid selling scheme” is a scheme that has both of the following:
(a) a participant must make a payment to another participant in the scheme; and
(b) the payment is induced by the prospect of receiving a payment for introducing new participants.

Analysis

Regarding section 24, it must first be determined whether our method of doing business is a “trading scheme” to which the section applies.

The first condition requires that the goods must be provided by promoter. In our method of doing business, clearly the goods are provided by the promoters. Accordingly, this condition is satisfied.

Under the second condition, the transactions by which our diamonds are sold must be arranged or effected by the CDT participants in order for the scheme to be a trading scheme. For transactions to be “arranged” or “effected” by a CDT participant, that participant must be involved in substantially completing the essential elements of a binding transaction, including making or receiving the offer or making or receiving the acceptance and agreeing to the consideration. Since all aspects of the transactions are arranged and effected by CDT, as the promoters, this second condition is not satisfied.

The third condition requires that there is a prospect held out to participants of receiving a payment upon the occurrence of certain events. In our method of doing business, CDT participants do not expect to receive a payment for: introducing other participants; upon the change of status of a participant; or upon the supply of training or other services to participants. However, they do expect to receive a payment when goods are sold to other participants. Accordingly, this condition is satisfied.

Since all of the conditions are not satisfied, our method of doing business is not a “trading scheme” to which the section applies.

If we are wrong as to this first point, We will address the section as if our method of doing business is a trading scheme to which the section applies.
The section prohibits anyone from benefiting from a trading scheme if any one of three situations apply, as set out in section (2) above.

The first two situations require a participant to be induced to make a payment on the prospect of receiving a benefit if he introduces a new participant to the scheme. As CDT participants never receive a benefit for introducing new participants, these situations do not apply.

The third situation requires a participant to be induced to make a payment on the prospect of receiving a payment from another participant. As CDT participants never received payments from other CDT participants, this situation does not apply.

Accordingly, even if our method of doing business is a trading scheme to which the section applies, a person participating in it would not contravene the section.

Regarding section 60T, a “pyramid scheme” must have participants making payments to other participants on the prospect of receiving payments on the introduction of new participants. As our method of doing business never has participants making payments to other participants and never has participants receiving payments for introducing new participants, it is not a “pyramid scheme” under that section.

Conclusion

Our business model is not a pyramid scheme, as analyzed below based on two sections of the Australian Pyramid Selling Scheme Act; Section 24 and Section 60T.

At CDT we will always do what is necessary to comply with all laws of all jurisdictions, but we believe the more important issue is the ethics of the company and program. We are supplying real valuable tangible beautiful certified diamonds at great prices.

Sincerely,
J. Waterman
Director of Research and Development

Edited by cdt1 on Nov 15, 2006 at 12:31 AM

Admin Options :

Time: Wed November 15, 2006 5:58 PM 15 ms.

nesmuth..u are entitled to your opinion but by calling thousands of deaf people worthless is kinda bad if u claim to be an advocate for deaf people isnt it? Call us all kinds of names...until I see the words from the US govt "CDT aka Canadian Diamond Traders IS illegal" then I will back off. The words "MAY be illegal" "believe to be illegal" from the govt means that they arent sure but investigating so what if CDT is actually legal? I am just going to post what CDT says about their program and up to people who want to believe it or not. What I dont get is...IF CDT IS illegal then why wasnt it shut down 2 years ago? Doesnt make sense to me...why didnt any of the governments worldwide send their FBI agents to shut it down?

Do you realize how many people worldwide are involved in CDT so that means those people from all over the world are part of the "tiny and worthless section of the deaf community" too just like u said.

SOWWY... NESMUTH IS RIGHT... IT IS SCAM!!!

SOWWY... NESMUTH IS RIGHT... IT IS SCAM!!!

Ok so CDT is just like the Nigerian scams..take our money and disappear. Thank god they have headquarters in Toronto, Canada with office hours, phone numbers and emails. Will be easy to find those devils when my money disappears, huh? We even know the CEO's name..whew!!!

with Nigerian scams, there is no office, no phone number, nor office hours so hard to find who is behind those scams. Darn it!!!!

Back