Is it Possible to Be Raised Gender Neutral?

I think it's bold and agree with the premise. Gender stereotyping starts before or as soon as a child is born in many, if not most societies.
I have some reservations about only referring to him as "The Infant" for the time that they did that, and also think it's naive of them to think that he would not be influenced by societal expectations or perceptions. I think there are less drastic ways of achieving the same thing.

I'm very happy that he's encouraged to play with a variety of toys and do various things, though - that's one of the big ways adults actively or subconsciously encourage gender stereotyping at an early age.
As a kid, I remember that I played with all kinds of toys - toy cars and trucks, little action figures, stuffed animals....my mom especially was very aware of gender stereotypes and potrayals.

I wish I could find gender-neutral baby clothes for my grandbaby. I don't know yet if I have a grandson or granddaughter (s/he's still invitro).
It's easier to buy boy clothes for a girl than girl clothes for a boy. When I had my first daughter I wanted to buy some things gender-neutral (coats) so I could hand them down to any sons I might have to save money. Didn't have any sons, just another daughter.

I grew up a tom-boy. Played with dolls & cars. I tried to raise my girls the same way. Youngest daughter liked cars & dolls.

it's generally easier for what is considered "female" in Western societies to cross gender lines because "males" have historically been considered "more significant" as authorities, household earners, supposed carriers of intelligence and public figures....therefore what they do and appear as has been scrutinized more carefully. So it's still more acceptable in most Western or urbanized societies for girls to wear traditionally "male" clothing and do traditionally "male" things, than it is for boys to wear stereotypical "female" clothing and do traditionally "female" things. Not saying it's easy, but overall is not noticed as much, and that trend has broadened I think through the years to include a wider array of the "acceptable" .

over the years, the trans and intersex communities have tried to come up with gender-neutral pronouns

yes it is clear they wanted a daughter.... this is very creepy in my opinion

"Sasha wears a "ruched-sleeved" girl's shirt as part of his school uniform, and has been banned from sporting combat trousers.
The youngster is also encouraged to wear flowery tops at weekends."

Seems they are pushing the boy to act very effeminate. I'm guessing they said no gi joe toys but you can play with barbie and ken instead. And look at the picture itself... The kids got on a fairy costume and beads. There was no mention in the article of them pushing the kid to play sports or act like a guy. The whole situation is very creepy to me

What do you think of these parents' attempt to raise their child completely "gender neutral"? Beneficial or damaging? Brilliant or crazy? Brave or ridiculous? Or somewhere inbetween?

Couple raise child as 'gender neutral' to avoid stereotyping - Telegraph

First of all, they can't do it. Biology is not gender neutral.

Secondly, they are lying, probably to themselves as much as the public. They aren't interested in gender neutral. They permitted extremely feminine clothing, but denied him the right to wear masculine clothing. I read about them in another article which said they sent out Christmas pictures of the child in glittery pink sequined swim-wear, but also say he's not allowed to wear hyper masculine clothing such as t-shirts with skulls. Who says that's hyper masculine? Two of my girls love skulls designs on their clothes. Why are skulls 'hyper' masculine, but an obnoxiously glittery, pink, sequined swim suit isn't 'hyper' feminine? His mom said that all kids love sparkly stuff, but that's her own stereotype. Not all of mine did. One of my girls in particular has always hated pink or sparkly.

They say they aren't forcing it, but in two articles now they admit they've banned him from wearing male clothing. How is it not pushing their own ideas to *ban* combat trousers while 'encouraging' flowery tops?

Lastly, I think it's abusive to use your child as a sociological experiment.

This child is gonna grow up so damn confused lol

I suspect it's the parents that are confused. I bet the child will somehow come out of this just fine. It's amazing what kids endure and still come out just fine.

I think it is a bad idea , especially if you already older kids and they are not allowed to tell their classmate if they have a brother or sister. Kids have enough to deal with today and should not have to be burden with their parents crazy hang ups! My older sister and I were allowed to play with Hopalong Cassidy cap guns and had a Hopalong Cassidy outfit with gun belt and all! Why should our brother be the only one to had fun! I did not like playing dolls that much is got boring real fast.

While I support the idea of letting your child naturally gravitate to the things they find most appealing or interesting, I think this is just way too 'out there'. Is forced gender-neutrality is any better than natural gender stereotyping :hmm:

I wish I could find gender-neutral baby clothes for my grandbaby. I don't know yet if I have a grandson or granddaughter (s/he's still invitro).
It's easier to buy boy clothes for a girl than girl clothes for a boy. When I had my first daughter I wanted to buy some things gender-neutral (coats) so I could hand them down to any sons I might have to save money. Didn't have any sons, just another daughter.

I grew up a tom-boy. Played with dolls & cars. I tried to raise my girls the same way. Youngest daughter liked cars & dolls.

There are a lot gender-neutral baby clothes to buy. My daughter did not want to know what sex her baby was going to be and no one knew. My daughter had a baby shower and got a lot baby clothes that where gender-neutral baby.

biology/sex and gender are NOT the same thing. biology is a medical thing and gender is human social construct based on societal perceptions and implications.

"act like a -boy-" and "act like a -girl-" are based on society's prejudices...

because one has a penis or a vagina doesn't necessarily dictate their gender.

but I do see what you mean about the shirts and trouser thing, lucas and grayma.

I think what seems confusing is not the idea but the way they in particular seem to be applying it.

I am all for keeping things gender neutral, but forcing gender-neutrality is just as bad as forcing gender stereotypes.

Growing up in the 1950's-60's, I pretty much played with whatever I wanted. I don't recall any big deal about gender-specific toys or activities.

Just because I sometimes wore petticoats and white gloves didn't mean I couldn't sometimes wear my toy cap gun double six-shooters and cowboy clothes. I played equally with Barbie and GI Joe. I had a doll house and a construction set. So what?

Just because a girl enjoys girly things and appearance doesn't limit her in other activities and interests.

Just because a boy enjoys manly things and appearance doesn't limit him in other activities and interests.

So-called gender neutrality childhood is ridiculous. Those parents have their own issues to sort out but they'd rather foist it on the kids. Bleh! :P

Back