What do you think of gift cards in general??

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Many years ago, when I was single, I would talk on line to different women. I remember telling one woman that I was going to get gift cards for a birthday gift. That woman told me that I should not get gift cards. That shows that you are not making any real effort to shop for gift. I thought that was kind of interesting. Personally, I think gift cards are good in case I don't know what someone may like. I would just get gift card and then they can use it in any way they want to.

Everyone has their preferences, I don't mind the gift cards. Especially when it comes to clothing stores, I like to be able to try on clothes before I buy them. Sometimes, I end up not wearing the clothes that people buy me. So it's a win-win situation if I get a gift card.

I personally like them. I have wishlists on Amazon, but I generally prefer being able to choose where I spend my money. If people just go by what they hear I want they might be mistaken, or they might figure I want X more than Y, when really, I only kinda want X but I REALLY want Y....you know?

However, I prefer that people ask before they just get a gift card for me. I had someone get me a gift card for a sewing/craft store, because they heard I like art, when in reality I didn't shop at that store, and I didn't use anything that they sold. I ended up trading it to my mom for cash.

Final verdict: Yes to gift cards, but only from stores that people know I'm going to shop at.

Gift Cards are tops with me!....and I give them all the time. Even my boys would rather have the Cards or Cash to get whatever they want.

I even wrapped up a Gift Card into a very large box and put it under the Tree one year....Still, if something catches my eye, and I know that it's something they would truly like (but not clothes or shoes/perfume/cologne), I'd chance it and buy it.

It not only saves time, it's much better than fighting those crowds at the Mall...gives me headaches!

This time of the year, gift cards will provide more gifts for the $$ as the gift card recipient will be shopping at after-Christmas sales. :giggle:

Gift cards are convenient but it's not as exciting as an actual wrapped gift with ribbons et al.

I love gift cards! It's hard for me to navigate in stores and I love to shop online. I have wish lists and can always get exactly what I want.

I like to give them too, as I know the general tastes of relatives so can get a store they will like, but I am sure they like the gift if they get to pick it themselves.

I like them... but if you're in a bf/gf relationship, many women feel as if you should know what they like. They want something to open, they want a surprise, and they want to know how you feel about them which is reflected in what you buy them.

I remember reading somewhere that companies make a fortune off of gift cards because majority of them are not fully utilized. Whenever companies need a boost to their revenue they roll out gift cards.

So, you would spend 20$ on a card, give it to someone who may never use it or only use part of it.

I'd rather give a gift that's fully used and enjoyed by the giftee, not partially or hardly.

Gift cards for the teens are the only way to go!

I have received gift cards from my fave gardening stores and loved every minute of it.

You have to remember some gift cards have fees on them , if you don't use the card right away you lose money.

You have to remember some gift cards have fees on them , if you don't use the card right away you lose money.

and some have time limits - only good for six months or a year. although many companies changed those policies lately because so many customers complained.

I think it is safe to say that these women were romantic interests and wanted to be treated that way. While I have given gift cards to women with whom I'm romantically involved, you must also give a gift that signifies romance. Otherwise, they don't consider it an appropriate gift.

Also, I'd be careful to make sure you only give gift cards from large companies because if the company goes under that person loses the gift.

and some have time limits - only good for six months or a year. although many companies changed those policies lately because so many customers complained.

Honestly, I think that should be illegal.

I think it is safe to say that these women were romantic interests and wanted to be treated that way. While I have given gift cards to women with whom I'm romantically involved, you must also give a gift that signifies romance. Otherwise, they don't consider it an appropriate gift.

Also, I'd be careful to make sure you only give gift cards from large companies because if the company goes under that person loses the gift.

I wouldn't be very happy if my boyfriend got me a gift card.

Should be, but isn't. (Illegal, that is - per Banjo's comment).

If I want to give cash - which is basically what gift cards are - I'd rather just give cash, and then the person can use it as they see fit. I generally don't do that, but when my nephews graduated, I gave them cash, and when one of them got married earlier this year, I gave the couple a substantial cash gift. They were free to use it as they saw fit - save, spend, buy themselves something special, use part of it for their honeymoon, whatever.

Generally for Christmas and birthdays and so on, I'd rather give a real gift. This Christmas it's mostly hand-made scarves and hats, and a little gift of bags of fancy peanut brittle. Sometimes I give books or DVDs if I know people will like them.

To me, part of the present is the time I spent in making it. Giving my sister $40, versus spending $40 on a gorgeous yarn and making a scarf of it, feels like two totally different things to me.

Should be, but isn't. (Illegal, that is - per Banjo's comment).

If I want to give cash - which is basically what gift cards are - I'd rather just give cash, and then the person can use it as they see fit. I generally don't do that, but when my nephews graduated, I gave them cash, and when one of them got married earlier this year, I gave the couple a substantial cash gift. They were free to use it as they saw fit - save, spend, buy themselves something special, use part of it for their honeymoon, whatever.

Generally for Christmas and birthdays and so on, I'd rather give a real gift. This Christmas it's mostly hand-made scarves and hats, and a little gift of bags of fancy peanut brittle. Sometimes I give books or DVDs if I know people will like them.

To me, part of the present is the time I spent in making it. Giving my sister $40, versus spending $40 on a gorgeous yarn and making a scarf of it, feels like two totally different things to me.

Actually, I think there are now laws that govern the "age" of gift cards and how long before they can begin to depreciate. I don't have time right now to google it, but I did recently as I was considering the gift cards for my daughter and SIL (but have decided to save the "fee" some of them have and give them cash).

Back