Mom of 20 year old Hard of hearing son.

Well,.the idea here is to have this young man,have fun,get a deafie girl, and learn sign, prob starting With the "hot" signs...cough....
A christian camp wont.cut it....
Just keeping it real...

Well,.the idea here is to have this young man,have fun,get a deafie girl, and learn sign, prob starting With the "hot" signs...cough....
A christian camp wont.cut it....
Just keeping it real...
I thought Christian camps are like Band Camp? "American Pie" reference...

Just my humble opinion from my life experience. As he is young, still, may I suggest total immersion in Deaf Culture and language for five solid years? If he decides to go elsewhere after college/trade school, then whenever he can find a deaf community, he may fit in better than in the hearing world. It's time NOW to exit stage left from the hearing world. It's too late for me because I'm heavily invested in my knowledge of the hearing world and my ability to communicate with hearing people.

I sometimes wonder if I ought to have taken this route. I have very few friends out of the several hundred people I have "friended" on FB, and most of them are in the rennie world. The fact is, even though they know about my trans status and know that I'm deaf, NONE of the women are interested in me as a partner. That is the life of a person who lived as a semi-feral child for seven and a half years.

Good luck in the direction he takes. Happiness in his life depends entirely on it.

Just my humble opinion from my life experience. As he is young, still, may I suggest total immersion in Deaf Culture and language for five solid years? If he decides to go elsewhere after college/trade school, then whenever he can find a deaf community, he may fit in better than in the hearing world. It's time NOW to exit stage left from the hearing world. It's too late for me because I'm heavily invested in my knowledge of the hearing world and my ability to communicate with hearing people.

I sometimes wonder if I ought to have taken this route. I have very few friends out of the several hundred people I have "friended" on FB, and most of them are in the rennie world. The fact is, even though they know about my trans status and know that I'm deaf, NONE of the women are interested in me as a partner. That is the life of a person who lived as a semi-feral child for seven and a half years.

Good luck in the direction he takes. Happiness in his life depends entirely on it.

I am grateful for all of the support yall are showing my son. He has really been excited for the first time in years about something! He is using what little ASL he has learned already and learning more every day. We are going to visit his cousin this summer. she is graduating from the school for the deaf where she lives. I'm hoping she can help introduce him to a bit more of the language and culture. They are only 2 years apart. Thanks again to you all for welcoming him. It was a huge step for him to take because all the experts in his life seemed so against it. I hope it will help him be a bit more social.

Shellcona,

I wish the same thing had happened to me, to have been shunted into a Deaf program, forever hiding my lip-reading and verbal languages abilities, and finding other skills and talents in an alternate life. At times, I feel I would be willing to trade this life for a life that Deaf people have. However, the grass is always greener on the other side.

I am grateful for all of the support yall are showing my son. He has really been excited for the first time in years about something! He is using what little ASL he has learned already and learning more every day. We are going to visit his cousin this summer. she is graduating from the school for the deaf where she lives. I'm hoping she can help introduce him to a bit more of the language and culture. They are only 2 years apart. Thanks again to you all for welcoming him. It was a huge step for him to take because all the experts in his life seemed so against it. I hope it will help him be a bit more social.

WOOHOOO!!!!! And yes, it will. Even kids who are very strong academicly, often love ASL for the social emotional benifit it gives them... And how awesome it is that his cousin can help!!!!

Back