Does CI affect some nerves?

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
Several friends of mine who works at school, some teachers or some teacher aides and we happen to talk about how deaf kids behaves or approach etc. Some of them asked me a specfici question because they know that my hub who have CI. Their question was they noticed that kids from age 3 to teenagers who just GOT ci and within a year or two years later, they can see that their behaviors change due to so many facial expression differently like squnting eyes, or body language seems uncomfortable etc. we are not sure if it relates with listening too loud that has not change to lower the volumes or nerves being hit when it sounds or etc. They do concern about it but for Adults who get CI recently and they feel ok but sometimes it went wrong but they can let doctor know right away. But children delays the responses and make doctors aware at a much later when they are not comfortable.

any thoughts as to why their facial expression changes after they get ci, within a year or two years later, only babies to around 7 yrs old or 8 years old? :hmm:

FYI I am not a teacher or not working with children. It makes me curious that i know some of you who are working with children.

The big answer is: Yes - the auditory nerve..

Several friends of mine who works at school, some teachers or some teacher aides and we happen to talk about how deaf kids behaves or approach etc. Some of them asked me a specfici question because they know that my hub who have CI. Their question was they noticed that kids from age 3 to teenagers who just GOT ci and within a year or two years later, they can see that their behaviors change due to so many facial expression differently like squnting eyes, or body language seems uncomfortable etc. we are not sure if it relates with listening too loud that has not change to lower the volumes or nerves being hit when it sounds or etc. They do concern about it but for Adults who get CI recently and they feel ok but sometimes it went wrong but they can let doctor know right away. But children delays the responses and make doctors aware at a much later when they are not comfortable.

any thoughts as to why their facial expression changes after they get ci, within a year or two years later, only babies to around 7 yrs old or 8 years old? :hmm:

FYI I am not a teacher or not working with children. It makes me curious that i know some of you who are working with children.

Very, very strange "observations"... I would like to hear these observations from first hand. Please invite your friends to explain their observation here on AllDeaf.

About CI and nerves:
When a recess is drilled in the skull, and a hole to the middle ear, the other facial nerves are monitored to prevent hitting/damaging them.
Sometimes there is some strange tastes and feeling after the operation.
I have not heard of this lasting long. I have never heard of the strange behaviour that "you" are seeing. But obviously, adult CI users here on AllDeaf will be able to elaborate on this.

Loud sounds would not cause "strange behaviour" as CI is very good at cutting off sounds when they become too loud.
About "facial expression differently like squnting eyes, or body language seems uncomfortable". This is not the cause of CI.. unless the CI is malfunctioning..
You - your friends - seem to observe continuous "strange behaviour"..

What could be the cause of all these observations might be the lack of information people have about CI.
Another reason for this could be the misinformation spread by people fiercely against CI, scaring any parents with false stories. Falling in the category of "hole in skulls, not able to play sports, not able to swim"

that case I hope my explanation was sufficient.. If it wasn't, please ask..

Last edited by a moderator:
I never noticed that with any of the children with CIs that I have worked with... Usually if a noise is too loud, they would inform the school's audiologist but I work with the older ones. My brother's girlfriend is a PreK teacher at the same deaf program I work at. I can ask her about the little ones.

Anyways...back to topic. To the OP, I have worked with kids who chose not to wear their CIs later on due to getting headaches but also worked with kids who continue to wear them.

I dont know about behavior after getting the surgery. Hmmm..

i am not there to see kids what they were doing in the classroom. my friend gave me a few examples. When the little boy has no ci and he moves a lot and turns the head or his facial expression look normal. After he got a CI, and a few months was normal for him to recover it. The following year or two years later, his eyes all of a sudden, squinting or twitching eyes more than before and look very uneasy or uncomfortable. of course my friend whos a teacher aide was very concerned and worked with him, but not him and two kids too. that s how she asked me if my hub's eyeing was twitching or anything. I said, " no " but " he dislikes it when anything is too close to his head that freaks him out. Before he didnt have a CI. He didnt care but now he does.

Last edited:
I never noticed that with any of the children with CIs that I have worked with... Usually if a noise is too loud, they would inform the school's audiologist but I work with the older ones. My brother's girlfriend is a PreK teacher at the same deaf program I work at. I can ask her about the little ones.

Like Shel, I can't speak for all, of course, but I've not ever noticed that situation in the ~15 or so children I knew before they had CIs and encounter regularly today after they've been implanted for several years. Perhaps the squinting noticed indicates a vision issue.

i am not there to see kids what they were doing in the classroom. my friend gave me a few examples. When the little boy has no ci and he moves a lot and turns the head or his facial expression look normal. After he got a CI, and a few months was normal for him to recover it. The following year or two years later, his eyes all of a sudden, squinting or twitcing eyes more than before and look very uneasy or uncomfortable. of coure my friend whos a teacher aide was very concerned and worked with him, but not him and two kids too. that s how she asked me if my hub's eyeing was twitching or anything. I said, " no " but " he dislikes it when anything is too close to his head that freaks him out. Before he didnt have a CI. He didnt care but now he does.

Nope, never seen that behavior.

Like Shel, I can't speak for all, of course, but I've not ever noticed that situation in the ~15 or so children I knew before they had CIs and encounter regularly today after they've been implanted for several years. Perhaps the squinting noticed indicates a vision issue.

Squinting/twitching, looking very uncomfortable, all related to vision issues?

Lissa who is a member here, has CI since age 10 and has mentioned how it affects her right eye.

The surgery itself, there is always the risk of severing or damaging some nerves. There is one that I know of who suffered some nerve damages after receiving a cochlear implant. He lost the use of nearly his entire right arm.

A lot of different surgeries often list nerve damages as a potential complication.

Wondering if these children can "explain" the sensation/feeling?...Sort of like "zinnnging"....a small electrical shock?....

Wirelessly posted

a bad MAP could cause an eye twitch or something like that. The audiologist should notice and adjust the electrode that is causing the stimulation. It isn't dangerous, but it would probably be annoying.

Perhaps it depends mainly on the surgeon, just thinking aloud. You have good surgeons and even ones who make mistakes.

One minor mistake and you get paralysis for life, it's a risk I think anyone has to sign the waiver when they agree to the surgery. It's probably controversial for operating on children because the size of their nerves are smaller than adults whom have it developed already, which may be why you see less complications in people who got it later in life. Don't know if this is the answer, just thinking aloud here. :dunno:

Wirelessly posted

a bad MAP could cause an eye twitch or something like that. The audiologist should notice and adjust the electrode that is causing the stimulation. It isn't dangerous, but it would probably be annoying.

It's the same with hearing aids. If the hearing aids is overamplified and poorly programmed, it can cause headaches, eye squinting, exhaustion and more.

Wondering if these children can "explain" the sensation/feeling?...Sort of like "zinnnging"....a small electrical shock?....

that's what my friends say what kids look like this what you just described. My close friend whos a teacher aide and work with elementary and notice some same patterns in some of them. Not all of them, just a few of them that left her some wonder and asked me if i notice anything.

Back