Windows and Microsoft SUCKS! So, here's what I did about it...

mizwytch

Reaction score
I am sure there are a fair few folks here who, like me, just LOATHE windows and microsoft. I have had nothing but friggin' grief for YEARS with windows. Blue screens of Death, viruses, malware, useless programs that you can't remove and use up resources, trojans, spyware, and the list goes on.

Well, I found an AWESOME Linux Ubuntu OS that is every bit as easy to use as windows AND without all the proprietorial shit that comes with the use of a Windows OS. It is called Zorin OS. There are versions 1 thru 5. 5 is the newest version and works with computers that run windows 7 best. Both my desktop and laptop are older machines so I have version 3 on them now. After this last crash, of which I have had 5 just this year, I had had enough of Windows and Microsoft. I have been running Zorin for about a week now....and the more I use it the more I love it. There is NOTHING that can not be uninstalled and there is TONS of excellent programs and other cool stuff to install with a simple point and click. It runs LOADS faster and has no need for an antivirus program. BEST OF ALL IT'S FREE! Just imagine, no more paying for an over-priced piece of buggy crap that is subject to all manner of nasty shit. Just download Zorin and burn to a DVD disc or put it on a USB flash drive and boot from that. IF, like me you do not have a "boot from USB" option...there is this neat little program called PLOP which will allow you to boot from a USB flash drive.

here are two links I used for PLOP. I found installing PLOP on a 3 and1/4 floppy disc, (YES, a floppy disk!), worked way better than the the cd option with PLOP.

Boot From a USB Drive Even if your BIOS Won’t Let You - How-To Geek

Plop - Bootmanager

That's what I did. Several of us went with Ubuntu ;)

Gotta love Linux. :D I volunteer at FreeITAthens....which is a nonprofit organization that refurbs computers for the community. We sell them cheap, ($50) or give them away to places like a special school or disabled people and kids, etc. We install Ubuntu on them all...although I turned Joel on to the Zorin OS, and so we might start installing that one instead. :)

Yeah, that what I use when I collect all old laptops or desktops from my company and rebuild it with Linux OS. Then I gave it to my wife so she can give it to any deaf people who need a computer. I been doing this for years, and I just finish Dell D600 laptop and that is ready to give away. Next one is old IBM Thinkpad T20, I will use Zorin.

Hmmm. I will install it today. I agree, Windows suck.

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved from General Chat to Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming.

Hmmm. I will install it today. I agree, Windows suck.

I think you will love Zorin. Hell, even the games that come with the set up are better than anything with windows....at least in my opinion. LOL :D

I think all of the software programs are superior to anything that you can get with windows too....and it's all FREE! How freakin' awesome is that!:dance2:

Yeah, that what I use when I collect all old laptops or desktops from my company and rebuild it with Linux OS. Then I gave it to my wife so she can give it to any deaf people who need a computer. I been doing this for years, and I just finish Dell D600 laptop and that is ready to give away. Next one is old IBM Thinkpad T20, I will use Zorin.

I have 2 computers I am refurbing here at home as well. One is a Gateway desktop and the only problem I am having with it now is that the damn thing wants to autorestart when I shut it down. How do I fix that issue in the BIOS? Personally, I love Dells...both my laptop and desktop are Dells...very reliable and sturdy machines. Laptop is a C600 and the desktop is a Pentium 4. Both were refurbs. I love 'em. and they work LOADS better now that I got nasty 'ol winders off of 'em! LOL:laugh2:

I have 2 computers I am refurbing here at home as well. One is a Gateway desktop and the only problem I am having with it now is that the damn thing wants to autorestart when I shut it down. How do I fix that issue in the BIOS? Personally, I love Dells...both my laptop and desktop are Dells...very reliable and sturdy machines. Laptop is a C600 and the desktop is a Pentium 4. Both were refurbs. I love 'em. and they work LOADS better now that I got nasty 'ol winders off of 'em! LOL:laugh2:

What model is the Gateway desktop? Secondly, what do you mean about autorestart, you mean when you click or pressed shutdown, it restart it?

What model is the Gateway desktop? Secondly, what do you mean about autorestart, you mean when you click or pressed shutdown, it restart it?

I have looked everywhere in and on the case of the machine and I can find nothing that tells me what Gateway model it is...but I do know it is a Pentium 4 processor with about a gig of RAM. Other specs is it has just all the other hardware I installed in it. I installed Zorin on it...and everything seems to work fine other than I can't get it to shut down properly.

Yeah, when I click on shut down it just restarts. I have found if I hold the power button down now it will shut off...but that isn't particularly good on the hard drive to do it that way. Also, this one had two fans in it when we got it...do Gateways actually need two fans?:hmm:

Last edited:
Yeah , I can't afford Mac Hardware.

I have never used a MAC, but if the software costs anything near the over priced Windows OS then it's not surprising that it would be hard to come by. I think it's bad enough that people have to pay for a buggy OS when they buy a new machine...but now they don't even come with a disc to reinstall the OS when needed. That costs a few hundred dollars more...talk about a rip off.

Two weeks running the Zorin OS and no issues, no dragging, and I have been doing a shit load of tweaking. Installing and uninstalling thing I want and don't want, making this OS and my computer my own. Love it. :D

I have never used a MAC, but if the software costs anything near the over priced Windows OS then it's not surprising that it would be hard to come by. I think it's bad enough that people have to pay for a buggy OS when they buy a new machine...but now they don't even come with a disc to reinstall the OS when needed. That costs a few hundred dollars more...talk about a rip off.

Windows 7U cost around $300 and OSX Lion cost around $30. Most PC computers came with to two or more partitions and easy to re-install without the disc need. You can download a ISO from Windows links like Linux.

Windows 7U cost around $300 and OSX Lion cost around $30. Most PC computers came with to two or more partitions and easy to re-install without the disc need. You can download a ISO from Windows links like Linux.

It is cheaper to buy Windows 7 key from Silicom Shop.

Silicom Shop ? I never heard that. I think that be pirate and copyright. Well I have no idea.

I have looked everywhere in and on the case of the machine and I can find nothing that tells me what Gateway model it is...but I do know it is a Pentium 4 processor with about a gig of RAM. Other specs is it has just all the other hardware I installed in it. I installed Zorin on it...and everything seems to work fine other than I can't get it to shut down properly.

Yeah, when I click on shut down it just restarts. I have found if I hold the power button down now it will shut off...but that isn't particularly good on the hard drive to do it that way. Also, this one had two fans in it when we got it...do Gateways actually need two fans?:hmm:

Ok, try go into terminal mode, at the command prompt... type Shutdown, if this did reboot...then try Shutdown -h and let me know what happen.

I am sure there are a fair few folks here who, like me, just LOATHE windows and microsoft. I have had nothing but friggin' grief for YEARS with windows. Blue screens of Death, viruses, malware, useless programs that you can't remove and use up resources, trojans, spyware, and the list goes on.

Well, I found an AWESOME Linux Ubuntu OS that is every bit as easy to use as windows AND without all the proprietorial shit that comes with the use of a Windows OS. It is called Zorin OS. There are versions 1 thru 5. 5 is the newest version and works with computers that run windows 7 best. Both my desktop and laptop are older machines so I have version 3 on them now. After this last crash, of which I have had 5 just this year, I had had enough of Windows and Microsoft. I have been running Zorin for about a week now....and the more I use it the more I love it. There is NOTHING that can not be uninstalled and there is TONS of excellent programs and other cool stuff to install with a simple point and click. It runs LOADS faster and has no need for an antivirus program. BEST OF ALL IT'S FREE! Just imagine, no more paying for an over-priced piece of buggy crap that is subject to all manner of nasty shit. Just download Zorin and burn to a DVD disc or put it on a USB flash drive and boot from that. IF, like me you do not have a "boot from USB" option...there is this neat little program called PLOP which will allow you to boot from a USB flash drive.

here are two links I used for PLOP. I found installing PLOP on a 3 and1/4 floppy disc, (YES, a floppy disk!), worked way better than the the cd option with PLOP.

Boot From a USB Drive Even if your BIOS Won’t Let You - How-To Geek

Plop - Bootmanager

Another SPAM thread-linux is NOT better than any other OS. It's just free. You've only been using it for a week compared to windows how long? Wait 5 years before you can say its so much better than Windows or any other OS.

How are you getting all these virusis's and malware? Did you not install spyware detectors-free and AV program-free?

What propiertary stuff are you talking about?

I think Linux sucks-it's an OS only good for one group of people-hackers and troublemakers-but thats just my opinion :)

$300 ? Where are you shopping? Besides, normal users do not need the ultimate version-there is nothing more to gain from the home version whihc is under $99.

This is why I laugh at those who hate windows and got linux-oh its so much better than windows. Then they always go into a complex installation process. Most users dont give a rats behind and don't want to know about ISO's and partitions and installing from a USB stick.

I work with them all, from MAC to Server 2008 Geo-Clusters and by far, manhours wise Linux and Unix are the biggest waste of man hours. I have one Systems Admin easily supporting 300 Windows servers running 1,000 applications and for some reason I need 1 Linux\Unix systems admin for every 75servers and he\she are taxed out.

Same goes for our PC LAN devision that supports 75,000 Windows desktops.

Back