Why are you deaf?

jpc

Reaction score
Were you born deaf, did you have glue ear, did you hit your head in an accident like Dr. Irving Jordan did, etc.. what exactly made you deaf?

Apparently inherited a gene where pregnancy/child birth causes progressive hearing loss. This is my own diagnosis from something I read somewhere and the fact that my mother started losing her hearing around the same time frame. My mother started noticing her hearing loss about 7 years after her first child was born. Mine was diagnosed (through routine hearing test at work) less than a year after my first child was born, but I did not notice the hearing loss until about 7 years later.

Why? My kid is deaf because he can't hear.:P

Seriously, congenital exposure to CMV. But I have always believed the why doesn't change what is, so it really isn't important.

A genetic gift from my family. Also the reason my husband is HOH. We have been fortunate to pass it on and are founding our own dynasty. Soon we will secede.

Premature birth.

btw, jpc, did I somehow miss your introduction?

A chromosome disorder called 18q- syndrome. It causes aural atresia (absense of ear canals) and absense of eardrums.

Thousands of rock concerts in the front row. When I wasn't doing that, I fired several dozen rounds every day with a 12 guage shotgun. Indoors.

Born with it, not sure where it came from, just know that it an inherited hearing loss. As for the reason I went total deaf, calcium deposits could have been caused by the type of breech birth I was. Will never know. I have apparently passed on my SNHL to my kids.

I had glue ear, and still do to some extent. I have a gene that made my Eustachian tube and Typanic cavity become deformed, narrowed, and that caused my glue ear. The glue ear also caused pressure build up in my ear which destroyed my tympanic membrane. That same gene also caused nerve damage latter in life. So the combination of those two things caused my hearing loss.

Me - ototoxic reaction to anti-malaria drug that I was required to take for 2 years. A small percentage of people are susceptible to hearing loss from it. I was in that small percentage. I was in my early 30's at the time.

Back