Phonak Naida VS Oticon Dynamo

ljjehl

Reaction score
Hi all!

My current hearing aids are now about 8 years old. I remember frequenting this excellent site back then helping all who got the Naida V UP devices when they first came out. It was a great ride. Now its time for a new ride.

I have read somewhat about the Phonak Naida Q90 UP devices. I have also been recommended the Oticon Dynamo SP10. I do have a small quandry, though.

I have recently had an audiogram done. I'm not sure if it's a result of claustrophobia or inner ear "ghost noises", but both ears started with this readout 100=70dB, 250=80dB, 500=100dB, 1k=105dB. After that, I have no response. I also think I just might have tried too hard to listen for sounds.

Anyway, my current Naidas are still working fine, but I fear I still am missing some sounds, due to the age of the aids. Can anybody give me some info and life experiences regarding both devices? I am currently going to trial the Dynamo 10 this coming Friday.

TIA for all responses!!

Leo

I have decided to trial out the Oticon Dynamo sp10 aids. I can tell they are very competitive with Phonak. Now, I'm not really familiar with what all it offers in program options. My Phonak aids had auto, front directional, tcoil+mic, FM, music and mute.

What possible options can I expect to get from these aids? I have the software, just need to know what/where I can go so I can ask the audi what I really need.

TIA for your input!!

go for the Dynamo, I think that's really neat and awesome! btw it has a Streamer that will be made for it

Honestly if you are willing to at least look into it, a cochlear implant might be perfect for you. If you look at my avatar thing, that is my pre implant audiogram. Without hearing aids, I couldn't hear anything above 100-110dB at 250 and 500hz and basically nothing above that.
The little circles with As were my hearing with Naida SP hearing aids at max volume (Naida UPs only have 5 more dB of gain and the state messed up when ordering my hearing aids).

Not, almost 2 years after a cochlear implant (Advanced Bionics 90k high res MidScala electrode and Naida 70 processor) my hearing at all thresholds is between 15 and 35dB. It is probably better now that I have a new MAP.

My speech understanding with hearing aids at 100dB was less than 10% in a closed set but is now more than 95% at the levels they test normally hearing people.

I'm still deaf, I still sign but I don't DEPEND on ASL. I can make phone calls and understand and be understood.

I wasn't always pro-CI. I was actually pretty against them for anybody except the totally deaf until I realized that I was totally deaf. Do what will work the best for you.

Hi all!

My current hearing aids are now about 8 years old. I remember frequenting this excellent site back then helping all who got the Naida V UP devices when they first came out. It was a great ride. Now its time for a new ride.

I have read somewhat about the Phonak Naida Q90 UP devices. I have also been recommended the Oticon Dynamo SP10. I do have a small quandry, though.

I have recently had an audiogram done. I'm not sure if it's a result of claustrophobia or inner ear "ghost noises", but both ears started with this readout 100=70dB, 250=80dB, 500=100dB, 1k=105dB. After that, I have no response. I also think I just might have tried too hard to listen for sounds.

Anyway, my current Naidas are still working fine, but I fear I still am missing some sounds, due to the age of the aids. Can anybody give me some info and life experiences regarding both devices? I am currently going to trial the Dynamo 10 this coming Friday.

TIA for all responses!!

Leo
One thing to remember is you are used to the Phonak sound and may not like the Oticon sound. I tried Phonak aids and found their sound to be mechanical, however, I found Oticon to have a natural sound. So if you are happy with the Phonaks why switch?

The Naida and Dynamo have basically the same max gain.
Have you considered a cochlear implant?
My hearing before a cochlear implant is below. With a cochlear implant in my right ear my understanding is around 95% and thresholds between 15 and 25dB, probably better now that I have a new MAP.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 4
One thing to remember is you are used to the Phonak sound and may not like the Oticon sound. I tried Phonak aids and found their sound to be mechanical, however, I found Oticon to have a natural sound. So if you are happy with the Phonaks why switch?

that's why I'm still happy with Oticon too Seb!

Back