Going to a concert?

SmurfyB

Reaction score
How risky would it be to go to a concert? I got 32 NRR ear plugs. I can't afford to lose any hearing so that's why im asking.

Never been to one so I couldn't say. I know my brother tells me that there are no ear plugs to really protect your hearing that well at a concert.

I've been to a hard rock concert before.

I'm stone deaf and I could hear the music. I don't think ear plugs would even help.

What kind of concert is it? Like lanapoo, I've been to rock concerts and they get pretty dang loud.

Wasn't a good idea to go to the Rage Against the Machine concert and stand right in front of the speakers. ;)

But I did have earplugs... I felt like I was okay with them.

I have been to a few of them...didnt impact my residual hearing but I am sooooo deaf anyway.

I just saw a linink park concert and thought I would need to use mine (I was front row) and I never even put them in. It wasn't over the top at all. You never know. Depends on the venue. My iPhone has a decibal meter so I was comfortable that I wasn't imagining it. Been to louder nightclubs/ bars for sure.

Wasn't a good idea to go to the Rage Against the Machine concert and stand right in front of the speakers. ;)

But I did have earplugs... I felt like I was okay with them.

Rage can never be TOO LOUD! That's why they always are. I think they have some anger issues.

I've never been to a concert, but I have been to a VERY UBER-LOUD nightclub that played rave music, and I loved it! I wore my CI that night I went there! Next time I go back to Austin again I am going back to that nightclub!

If you have any hearing left at all,I would highly suggest using some good ear plugs.

I am a long time musician myself and the two Phonac BTE hearing aids I am am wearing right now would probably not be there if not for the over exposure to My Marshall Amp (It goes to 11 ;) ) and loud drums.

Stage volume tends to be pretty high but being in the audience can be just as bad with some bands. I remember when I saw Cheap Trick in concert way, way back in the late 70s, they were painfully loud where I was standing on the main floor.

At any cost, Protect what hearing you have. Nothing can replace natural hearing. My hearing aids do a decent job but the quality of the sound you get from your own ears can not be matched by any hearing aid.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the advice guys! I ended up going yesterday, saw Bon Jovi! It was VERY loud without the ear plugs but once I put them in I felt great! I could hear just perfectly and it wasn't too loud on my ears! I had a great time!

I've been told that I should wear earplugs to concerts to prevent further damage... but I usually don't... I guess it's part of the rock experience for me.....

but yeah. bring good earplugs, and dont stand next to the speakers. And give your poor eardrums a rest after! :p

Back