questions while awaiting activation

zebadee2010

Reaction score
I already have a CI in my right ear but I had surgery for a CI in my left ear 5 days ago. Now i'm waiting another week until activation, and I had a question..

Will the Ci that I have right now work with the one that is still waiting to be activated? Or are the processors implant specific?

That's a good question to ask your doctor.

How do you like the one you already have? How long would you say it took you to adjust to it?

That's a good question to ask your doctor.

How do you like the one you already have? How long would you say it took you to adjust to it?

Well i'll find out next week, or it may be the next, not sure. But I would say I adjusted better than your average.. I'm about 3 or 4 months out and i'm doing a lot better. Im at 93% hearing and most people are at 65% after 6 months. My doctor thinks it's due to the small amount of time that I was without hearing.

If you're thinking of getting one I would recommend it though.

For me, it scares me too much at the moment, although I do find it intriguing and in the realm of possibility for "someday." I get very good benefit from hearing aids, and as I understand it, someone who does well with hearing aids is not high priority to get a CI. But I gather that the parameters of who is a good candidate keep evolving.

I already have a CI in my right ear but I had surgery for a CI in my left ear 5 days ago. Now i'm waiting another week until activation, and I had a question..

Will the Ci that I have right now work with the one that is still waiting to be activated? Or are the processors implant specific?
That is a good question. That I do not know. Although I suggest that you wait for the activation. What is it? Just a couple of weeks from now? And best of luck with it!

Your maps will be different in each ear, and they aren't likely to ever be interchangeable. Plus, remember how you rapidly stepped up the volume initially, even while you were at the audi? If you had started then with your mapping set where it is now, it might have been brutal, far too loud or sensitivity set too high. Using your (even slightly) older processor set up for your other side with your new implant could be very uncomfortable, to the point of pain.

I know several kids who had theirs set to be implant-specific to avoid the pain when they unintentionally placed one on the wrong ear. A year ago, our audi intentionally reset my daughter's CIs and those of her best friends to be implant-specific because for a time they kept swapping them on the bus, taking apart and sharing bits and pieces of each other's sets for the fun of it. Expensive Transformers.

So I think it depends upon how your audi initially set yours.

Your maps will be different in each ear, and they aren't likely to ever be interchangeable. Plus, remember how you rapidly stepped up the volume initially, even while you were at the audi? If you had started then with your mapping set where it is now, it might have been brutal, far too loud or sensitivity set too high. Using your (even slightly) older processor set up for your other side with your new implant could be very uncomfortable, to the point of pain.

I know several kids who had theirs set to be implant-specific to avoid the pain when they unintentionally placed one on the wrong ear. A year ago, our audi intentionally reset my daughter's CIs and those of her best friends to be implant-specific because for a time they kept swapping them on the bus, taking apart and sharing bits and pieces of each other's sets for the fun of it. Expensive Transformers.

I experimented with it today and although it stuck to my head I never heard anything.

I turned the sesitivity and the volume way down because of those effects but I still couldn't get a signal. But i guess i'll find out next week.. Although I would lover for them to be implant specific so that I know i'll always have the right program for the right ear..

sounds fun can i play?:lol:

Zebadee,

Good luck with the second Ci activation. I have two N5s and mine will only work on the ear they were mapped for.

The newer generations, Harmony from AB and the N5 from cochlear are both programmed to only work with speific internal implant.

For example, before my right broke, I could not switch the harmonies on my ears. That is because my right processor is attracted to the implant that was mapped with. Same with my left. Obviously my N5 will not work with my left and my left will not work with my right since they are different companies.

Ok, but why would someone get 2 different companies. If a person wants 2 CI, wouldn't it be less confusing on the brain if both were of the same make? Yeah, this is an interesting topic.

For me, it scares me too much at the moment, although I do find it intriguing and in the realm of possibility for "someday." I get very good benefit from hearing aids, and as I understand it, someone who does well with hearing aids is not high priority to get a CI. But I gather that the parameters of who is a good candidate keep evolving.

Would you implant a Deaf child if you had one?

I don't know, honestly. I've seen the stats on the possibility of meningitis, and that would make me think it through long and hard. But the CI that was most prone to that problem has now been withdrawn, so that's all to the good.

I never had children, by choice (not having anything to do with hearing, the choice was based on other reasons). But even if we had, my hearing loss was environmental, not genetic, far as I know, so probably we would not have had to face the question.

The normal consideration for discussions re Implants is does the Hearing aid work adequately? This is specific to whoever. It is also true that the standards keep evolving with more experience. Not exactly unexpected in the medical field.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Would you implant a Deaf child if you had one?

I would make sure my child would benefit from HA first before going the CI route.. If he/she had no benefit. Then I would be discussing the probability that my child would benefit from a CI. I know first hand what these devices will provide a person (variables included) and I would not shy away from the impact this device could have on a deaf child. I would be more than willing to give my child what I have. But that does not discount the fact that my child will always be deaf just like myself and if he/she chose to not wear their implant then that is up to them.

I don't know, honestly. I've seen the stats on the possibility of meningitis, and that would make me think it through long and hard. But the CI that was most prone to that problem has now been withdrawn, so that's all to the good.

I never had children, by choice (not having anything to do with hearing, the choice was based on other reasons). But even if we had, my hearing loss was environmental, not genetic, far as I know, so probably we would not have had to face the question.
Alright
yeah, yeah i would.
I already knew you would.
I would make sure my child would benefit from HA first before going the CI route.. If he/she had no benefit. Then I would be discussing the probability that my child would benefit from a CI. I know first hand what these devices will provide a person (variables included) and I would not shy away from the impact this device could have on a deaf child. I would be more than willing to give my child what I have. But that does not discount the fact that my child will always be deaf just like myself and if he/she chose to not wear their implant then that is up to them.

that's cool.

A footnote to some of the above discussion. My brother has exactly the same Cochlear Implant: Advanced Bionics.Harmony- that I have. He was curious could he hear with mine. Answer: NO! Why? Mapping very different.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Back