Polygamy

I hate cooking. and grocery shopping.

whenever I have to do either, I think of Big Love, and think it's not that bad.
of course, one condition - I would have to be The First. no ifs or buts.
no whining.

Fuzzy

I know what a butt is, but what's an if? j/k

I personally am not into polygamy. However, I do believe that each person should have the right to choose what they want to be involved in. There shouldn't be anything that regulate marriage laws like our govt does. People need to stop trying to control other people's lives.

What happened to our freedom?

I personally don't see what the benefits are that in any way outweigh the natural tendency for humans to compare, feel inadequate, and be jealous or angry.

Where it gets sticky is whether I then feel that my opinion on the situation should be law. I'm not as sure about that.

I googled around and found that historically, multiple wives sometimes lead to the wives themselves becoming sort of a status symbol for the men of those societies. It was less about love and more about property and sexual prowess. This brought with it a host of problems, and alienated men who may have been viable partners that were considered lower class.

Not sure if these are modern concerns, though.

I personally am not into polygamy. However, I do believe that each person should have the right to choose what they want to be involved in. There shouldn't be anything that regulate marriage laws like our govt does. People need to stop trying to control other people's lives.

What happened to our freedom?

That's because it stated unconstitutional to allow pologamy stuff in the 1800's. It is already like that for a long time. Freedom is better here compared to China and other countries.

Then, there are the lost boys:

Polygamy's 'Lost Boys' expelled from only life they knew - The Boston Globe

The "Lost Boys"

...While representatives of the fundamentalist Mormons insist they're only kicking out people who violate their moral code, prosecutors and former members suspect the real motive may be polygamy -- an effort to reduce the competition for brides.

"These guys know that to continue to live polygamy -- and at the level it's gone to the last few years, with a few men having 10, 20, upwards of 70, 80 wives -- it's obvious that a number of boys have to go," said Dr. Dan Fischer, a former fundamentalist Mormon.

"In order to exist in a polygamist society you have to have more women to men, your ratio of women to men has to be greater," said Tom Sam Sneed, one of the many "Lost Boys" who have had to find new homes....
Hundreds of 'Lost Boys' Expelled by Polygamist Community - ABC News

If someone or a community wants to have multiple partners/spouses, I'm not worried about that in itself. For me, the issue is more about how they treat each other and how a community works together. I have no religious views on it and if I did, it wouldn't be my place to put my religious views on the practice of another.

There are cultures and communities in the world where children are raised more communally, either through polygamy or through more open kinship structure.
I have no place to say that's right or wrong.

If everyone agrees on the relationships and there is no abuse, metal or physical, everyone is of legal age and all the people have their rights and freedoms then I don't see a problem for those who choose polygamy or polymory.

Honestly the main reason it has a bad rap is because of the cults and various religions and cultures that abuse or treat females as a lesser being than men. If the genders were all equal then there would be a lot less problems.

That's because it stated unconstitutional to allow pologamy stuff in the 1800's. It is already like that for a long time. Freedom is better here compared to China and other countries.

Because it was stated illegal back in the 1850s, means it should be continued?

I know we have more freedom than some countries but our country was founded on the basis of freedom, and escape from controlling regimes. Every year we drift further and further from this basis.

Honestly, I don't see any reason why polygamy would be unconstitutional if all parties involved are consent to it.

Asides from sharing a husband, there are some aspects of polygamy that are very appealing to me and makes a whole lot of sense.

If everyone agrees on the relationships and there is no abuse, metal or physical, everyone is of legal age and all the people have their rights and freedoms then I don't see a problem for those who choose polygamy or polymory.

Honestly the main reason it has a bad rap is because of the cults and various religions and cultures that abuse or treat females as a lesser being than men. If the genders were all equal then there would be a lot less problems.

I agree.

I know quite a few Deafies here in my city who are involved in polyamorous relationships. Who am I to judge them? I think it's fine.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Its their choice, which is fine to me not my issue at all. I don't know why they ban it. Its just their religion and beliefs.

If someone or a community wants to have multiple partners/spouses, I'm not worried about that in itself. For me, the issue is more about how they treat each other and how a community works together. I have no religious views on it and if I did, it wouldn't be my place to put my religious views on the practice of another.

There are cultures and communities in the world where children are raised more communally, either through polygamy or through more open kinship structure.

That's the crux of the matter.

When I disapproved of polygamy, I was thinking of Mormon style polygamy. Here's why I don't approve of it - in such marriages women don't have rights; they have to be suborinadate to the man. This is my only objection to this.

But I see no reason why it can't be done as an equal basis. To manage such relationships though, you would need a great deal of communication because you would need secure partners who are not prone to jealously. I'm thinking polyarmoy.

Usually, it is used as an excuse to abuse and control women which I am very against.

I agree with you.

Not keen on the idea of polygamy. Speaking personally, I think the idea of devoting yourself to loving one person with the whole of your heart, deeply, truly and honestly is the best. It's also bloody difficult! Years ago I came across a quote that said something along the lines that a real lover will devote themselves to exploring one person deeply rather than lots of people shallowly. To add a second, or third, or whatever number person dilutes the potential for deep love. Please note that I'm not saying that if a person is in a monogamous relationship that they are automatically exercising deep love, I'm talking about something deeper than that.

Not keen on the idea of polygamy. Speaking personally, I think the idea of devoting yourself to loving one person with the whole of your heart, deeply, truly and honestly is the best. It's also bloody difficult! Years ago I came across a quote that said something along the lines that a real lover will devote themselves to exploring one person deeply rather than lots of people shallowly. To add a second, or third, or whatever number person dilutes the potential for deep love. Please note that I'm not saying that if a person is in a monogamous relationship that they are automatically exercising deep love, I'm talking about something deeper than that.

I totally get what you're saying. As someone who struggled as a single mother with no support - the aspects of polygamy such as friendship, company, guidance, advice, support, free babysitting!, sharing household chores and bills, and kids for my kids to play with does sound great but sharing the husband, I couldn't do that.

Back